Black holes just nothing.

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by sniffmepuss, Aug 10, 2010.

1. ^^ he is right.....at least I mean what he is saying agrees with what I have been taught in my cosmology and astrophysics classes. nobody REALLY knows for sure....but this is what evidence supports.
    :smokes:
    i just wanted to add in my 2 cents with what little credibility I have, haha :D

Edit: I was referring to Sirsong :)
    Double Edit: *Sirsog lol

2. I get what you're saying... nice explanation...

But where does the mass that gets sucked in go?

Maybe these black holes are proving that nothing really exists. :eek:

3. My theory is that as they are mega crushed as they approach the singularity its kind of like a nuclear critical mass reaction and the circumstances become perfect and most of the matter is converted to energy (hence the huge jet of radiation and energy) and what isnt converted or whats left of the reaction like various protons neutrons and electrons that have been vanquished from their atomic home as it fissured..... making it a lot easier for the singularity to just smash them all as close as possible in no molecular shape just a jumble of atomic particles that are super compressed by ridiculous amounts of gravity..... or that they take some stellar leap and leave the dimension we are currently able to perceive and the jet of radiation is the after effect of mass shifting dimensions...lol.... black holes are super epic either way

4. They are just fancy recycle bins.

5. I for one believe that our universe exists in a black hole, and that all black holes contain universes at their singularity. :smoking:

As in, a black hole is formed, and on the 'other side' a white hole is formed. AKA a big bang.

6. Holy shit. What about this?

A star ex/implodes and it is so powerful that it "rips" a "hole" in our universe. This black hole is just a hole into our neighboring universe. Think of a nail hole in a tire, the air is constantly being released from the "inner-tube system" into the "outside system". Perhaps the hole acts like a funnel in a bathtub drain extending down into the other universe.

All just a thought. :p

7. people often forget the meaning of universe.... It means, everything that exists everywhere.... So anything existing "outside" the universe through a rip....is still inside the universe.... lol such a trip

8. This^

In my opinion; black holes suck in matter, and where that matter reaches the black hole's singularity, the pure power of the mass/energy at the singularity converts the mass of whatever it sucks in back into energy it then spews out of it's jets.

9. lolz thats nothing like a recycle bin man, where can i get that kind of one? hehehe just messin but yea...i was kinda touching on that earlier...the super gravity causes massive heat and pressure and then BAM massaive amounts of unnatural atomic fusion and you get a maj jet of energy.... but if its a black "hole" why does it have 2 distinct jets of energy going in 2 distinct directions instead of just a large round shell of radiation constantly moving outward...... its fucking NONSENSE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

10. He's kinda right about the recycle bin thing, I heard these jets that get shot out of the black hole are comprised of elements that are building blocks for stars.

11. right but gravity pulls from every direction, and its a sphere...yet 2 jets come out pointing in a straight line thru the black hole...why does it choose 2 points of exhaust instead of just bursting energy and radiation out randomly as it enters randomly........ and let alone...its gravity should just pull most of it right back into the black hole...but it doesnt...like it emits gravity proof energy and radiation.... and as for a recycle bin, its more or less a conversion bin.... it converts matter into energy.... which creates radiation.... it if a star was created from the mass of energy and radiation emitted that means the energy reverted to mass, and was likely sucked right back in lol...... its more of a....black hole...than a recycle bin...in the sense that energy released isnt going to do shit for trillions of billions of millions of years, if by chance it reverts to matter and escapes the gravity of the black hole it was jetted from............ the whole equation behind them just doesnt make sense in any way shape or form lol

12. Ok, how'bout this;

A giant star goes supernova
    rips the shit out of gravity & dark matter
    the void feeds of the debris
    becomes a motor, so to speek
    that motor is till sucking in left overs
    whatever is not digested gets spit back out, two jets...exhaust
    that spat out debris collapses on itself to form new celestial bodies

So were back to square one. Seriously though, from what I understand, there are black holes in every galaxy, & they do say some are massive, & they are trying to point to the fact that black holes are essential for the development or survival of galaxies.

Its a fancy galaxy motor...with special emphasis on fancy.

Supernova -
    750px-Keplers_supernova.jpg

13. in all technicalities what happened...is there was nothing but vast expanses of stars (well this is assumed) and they were just burning away at different rates depending on the gasses they were formed from blah blah, and eventually some went supernova shooting other starts all over and some collapsed, creating black holes, which then eventually gathered enough gass and stars in a huge orbit around them that it formed galaxies...i mean atleast thats how science guesses it had to have happened...other wise everyting would just be in the vash nothing and the largest bodies would be solar systems cause there would be nothing massive to hold anything together.... as for how a black hole works...we could sit here all day, and argue 500 different points and not be able to prove anything because of the enourmous myster surrounding them, and the lack of a possibility of using equipment ANYwhere near one cause it emits massive emp pulses into its surrounding space.....

14. #34 Dryice, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
    Correct.

Until 'recently', physicists thought that black holes were perfect black bodies at absolute zero. That's not the case. Depending on the mass, a black hole is VERY VERY VERY cold when it's a large black hole (I believe Susskind said that the temperature of a blackhole with the mass of the sun would be .1 degrees above absolute zero) However, a black hole right before it's collapse would have the temperature of 10^32 degrees, the hottest thing that anything we know of can get, and these temperatures are actually close to what the big bang would have been. If I recall the calculation of mass is used via Schwartzchild radius. So basically the mass of a black hole is dependent on its radius.

15. I would consider the actual mass making it up, shit that is still not part of the singularity, or has become trapped in some sudo gravitational orbit...because a singularity in definition is a point of infinite smallness so its mass wouldn't be perceived.... its 1 point of existence with any mass its absorbed.... so is the mass actually the black hole, or is the mass just shit thats become trapped within it...i think the black hole is the system..... and the mass would be some sort of black hole object.... if that makes sense lol, these are also my stoner theories based on what ive learned, defs not going to attest to the truth of it cause for all we know a black hole is some fucking portal to another black hole.... or maybe its just there because they should exist but dont and our minds just perceive them into the empty pull of space's awesome power.... lol this discussion is fucking EPIC

16. I'm way too high to contribute to this conversation until later. :p My last post we me making a fool of myself.

17. i know how hawkings radiation works man, well i mean i have the general knowledge lol dont they absorb electro-magnetic radiation and do some super strange reaction that then emits a thermal radiation of some type which is what produces the heat your speaking of

EDIT:WAIT....isnt hawkins radiation a black body object....like the objects i was talking about that are part of the black hole system...or is hawkinds rad. emitted fully????

18. #38 Dryice, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
    It's far simpler than that. Some physicists call it 'quantum jitters', and the idea behind it is that on the event horizon of a black hole if you zoom in really far with microscope you will see entropy - that is disorganization, chaotic movement of particles. Particles moving chaotically results in temperature, heat includes the emission of photons.

Edit: Hawking radiation is emitted. It's the whole reason physicists now believe that black holes, if they don't suck in anymore information will eventually shrink and collapse. Because essentially the radiation it's emitting is it's own mass.

19. hhhhmmmmmmmm thats intense.... i wish hubble would just randomly gaze upon a black hole eating a star all up close n personal.... that would be a spectacle

20. Hmmm

Likening the black hole to the trampoline example, space of course taking the place of the trapoline membrane, and a fallen star being the nail head that continually pushes and creates an ever increasing depth.

I wonder if a large enough collapse could create conditions where space would rip, sort of like how the trampoline eventually does?

Something else that bugs me is that if the singularity is infinately dense, then shouldn't the black hole emcompass all of the matter in our known universe? Is the density of a singularity only described as infinite because its ever increasing? Or is it not really infinite? It seems to me like we can only describe it as infinite because we can't percieve the number that should be there.

Also, hawking says that conditions around the event horizon ( or on the rim itself) Would randomly generate particles that would exist momentarily then fade out, some of them being taken in by the event horizon, some of them excaping. Along with this he said negative matter would also be spawned, and since the negative matter spawned would also be taken into the even horizon, the mass of the singularity would dissipate.

In its simplest form, i desribe infiniti as +1. I use this figure in my head ( whether its used by others or not i dont know) because to me, infiniti is best described this way, as a constant +1 to any concievable number.

The "negative" matter being absorbed would have to represent -1

This would put the the value of the singularity at 0. Which would contradict any thoughts about the black hole dissipating, or growing.

Since hawking has somehow proved ( to himself at least) That black holes can evaporate, what am i missing?