Bizzare death.

Discussion in 'General' started by mels, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Not sure if you guys like this sort of thing or if even its the right section but I found this story quite interesting, fake or not.

At the 1994 annual awards dinner given for Forensic Science, AAFS, President Dr. Don Harper Mills astounded his audience with the legal complications of a bizarre death. Here is the story:
    \t

On March 23,1994 the medical examiner viewed the body of Ronald Opus and concluded that he died from a shotgun wound to the head. Mr. Opus had jumped from the top of a ten story building intending to commit suicide. He left a note to that effect, indicating his despondency. As he fell past the ninth floor his life was interrupted by a shotgun blast passing through a window which killed him instantly.
    \t

Neither the shooter nor the descender was aware that a safety net had been installed just below at the eighth floor level to protect some building workers and that Ronald Opus would not have been able to complete his suicide the way he had planned.
    \t

"Ordinarily," Dr. Mills continued, "a person who sets out to commit suicide and ultimately succeeds, even though the mechanism might not be what he intended, is still defined as committing suicide."
    \t

That Mr. Opus was shot on the way to certain death, but probably would not have been successful because of the safety net, caused the medical examiner to feel that he had a homicide on his hands. The room on the ninth floor, whence the shotgun blast emanated, was occupied by an elderly man and his wife. They were arguing vigorously and he was threatening her with a shotgun. The man was so upset that when he pulled the trigger he completely missed his wife and the pellets went through the window, striking Mr. Opus.
    \t When one intends to kill subject A but kills subject B in the attempt, one is guilty of the murder of subject B.

When confronted with the murder charge the old man and his wife were both adamant. They both said they thought the shotgun was unloaded. Thed old man said it was his long-standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her. Therefore the killing of Mr. Opus appeared to be an accident; that is, the gun had been accidentally loaded.
    \t

The continuing investigation turned up a witness who saw the old couple's son loading the shotgun about six weeks prior to the fatal accident. It transpired that the old lady had cut off her son's financial support and the son, knowing the propensity of his father to use the shotgun threateningly, loaded the gun with the expectation that his father would shoot his mother.

\t The case now becomes one of murder on the part of the son for the death of Ronald Opus. Now comes the exquisite twist. Further investigation revealed that the son was, in fact, Ronald Opus. He had become increasingly despondent over the failure of his attempt to engineer his mother's murder. This led him to jump off the ten story building on March 23rd, only to be killed by a shotgun blast passing through the ninth story window. The son had actually murdered himself so the medical examiner closed the case as a suicide.

2. Mind = blown

3. ]
    literally

4. "I made up the story in 1987 to present at the meeting," he told the London Daily Telegraph on March 2, "for entertainment and to illustrate how if you alter a few small facts you greatly alter the legal consequences." - Dr. Mills

Shit ain't true, but it's a funny story nonetheless.

5. yup...mine too

tho it IS technically still intact...unlike mr. opus's

6. Yeah.....

...Man.

7. It's not a true story.

8. i wouldnt have believed it. why would you jump off your parents apartment/condo complex? and wouldnt you see a saftey net a few stories down?

nonetheless, thatd be real fucked up if you shot someone out your window as they were falling ultimately to their doom.

9. lol this is odd.... what guy threatens their wife with a shotgun, even if it unloaded

10. dude thats some random ass shit man crazy as all get out im blows out of my mind

11. Same here.
    [​IMG]
    One would also imagine that something quite similar happened to Opus' head....

12. *waves hands in the air frantically*

Your minds are being blown under false pretenses.

13. LOL true or not I lthink its an interesting story, the what ifs mainly but heres another one of simular nature. This again may or may not be true.

In France, Jacques LeFevrier left nothing to chance when he decided to commit suicide. He stood atop a sheer cliff and tied a noose around his neck. He tied the other end of the rope to a large rock. He drank some poison and set fire to his clothes. He even tried to shoot himself at the last moment. He jumped and fired the pistol.

The bullet missed him completely and cut through the rope above him. Now freed from the threat of hanging, he plunged into the sea. The dunking extinguished the flames and made him vomit the poison. He was dragged out of the water by a kind fisherman and was taken to a hospital, where he died of hypothermia.

I'm going false as a pistol would have a hard time shooting through a rope I think.

14. the rope would have to be tight, but i did see a guy shoot through a hangmans rope on extreme marksman on the history channel, the first try took a couple shots the 2nd try he used a different type of bullet n got it off quick

it was like tryin to prove a myth about some guy being sentenced to hang and his buddy shootin the rope to cut him down

15. That shit is crazy...

But, is it from a movie? My short term seems to be failing me.

16. dude that serves you right kind of. you go and try to kill yourself and fail miserably, and probably just when you realize you want life you die of hypothermia.

17. I remember reading this several times like, prior to the year 2000.

18. #18 africantapwater, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008