Bit of Topping/Defoliation Advice Please

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Calchin1994, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Hi guys,

Got a Grow under MH, usually use Dual HPS. Surprisingly the plants are growing A LOT slower than under HPS.

Anyway, the plants are growing incredibly tight and compact, with not very much space for new growth. I have topped once, and as you can see from the photos the two largest top fan leaves are very much blocking the two new colas not only from growing outwards (growing up), but also there is no room or area to lst and tie them down. What would you guys suggest, crop off the two larger fan leaves so I can tie the colas down when they are a little longer?

Thanks

2. Plants, you can see the two large top fan leaves taking up all the space

Attached Files:

3. No room to LST the colas down

4. Exactly, not enough room atm... so wait.

5. Wouldn’t hurt to go about it like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. But even when they grow a bit longer the big fan leaves will still be in the way! Should I pick those two big ones off??

7. do people tie fan leaves down to expose growth tip nodes?

8. Was that a rhetorical question? I see people who LST so early on and don't understand how

9. Sorry I’m a month in my first grow, it wasn’t rhetorical. I’m growing hybrid, mh bulb as well which gives shorter bushier tighter nodes, running into similar issue, fan leaves covering soon to be cola’s.

Wasn’t sure if it would be ideal to remove, or maybe just tuck away the fan leaves so they can still photosynthesize, yet are out of the way and the cola’s forming will be exposed to more light and airflow resulting in growth.

That was my reasoning behind saidness

10. Oh sorry thought it was sarcasm haha! Yeah I have always used HPS before which gave a lot more room and was very easy to LST. The right nodes here confuse me..

11. A little off topic.. Have you thought about if you will switch to HPS soon as you flip and get a stretch going? Or keep MH for 2-3weeks after flip then switch to hps, ultimately having a shorter plant (dense nugs?). If your low on lst room, perhaps vertical would infact suit you.

12. I have plenty of room to LST, the problem is the plants aren't allowing the room within their leaf structure aha! I will probably keep the MH for the first week whilst it's adjusting then get the HPS going, I'm considering using both lights starting in a couple of days as these are growing slower than usual

• Like Like x 1
  13. Advice still required please, feel hasn't been answered yet thanks

14. Sorry I meant to reply earlier and got busy.

A few options.

A)Cut the fuckers off. It won’t hurt anything.
    B) tuck them under other leaves
    C) stake or tie them down until your lowers have grown in height. Just get them outta the way of your tops.
    D) let your plant grow a few more inches and bend it over and tie it down so your main branch is horizontal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. This is one I let her to about 9”-12” tall and then bent over and tied down to allow the other lowers grow up and out equally to the main colas height. Makes it bushy looking

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Like I said my QB’s give me the same issues. Believe it or not these plants have 6 nodes and it’s not even 6” tall.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Forgot to take some underside shots.

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks mate appreciate all the posts there!! When you talk about the fuckers I'm assuming you mean the massive fan leaves

What does QB mean btw?

Yeah it's strange isn't it they are so short and stumpy with MH's but like you say mine have exactly 6 nodes already also

19. What day these on?:) Under MH are they?

20. Bend her over and pin her down
    I start a lot earlier 2-3weeks if that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Dry Sift Box and The Clamshell

• Agree Agree x 1