bit by a black widow..

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by tonyhimselff, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Black widows LOVE dark places like inside shoes and under blankets and sheets. They live in every state in the US except Alaska. So next time (if you're not dead yet) check your shoes before putting them on, and look in your bed before you get in. Don't leave shoes outside unless they are flip flops or open so they can't hide inside of it. Gloves should be examined if they are kept outside or, like the OP, you've found a few living near you, you should check every time you wear them.

There is no way to get rid of spiders, there is no exterminator that can get rid of them, no bug spray that keeps them away. It's the only insect that will basically live along side us weather we like it or not. And if you have black widows that you know about, just be cautious of places they like to hide. If you keep a jacket or coat outside make sure to check that as well before putting it on.

This is just general info for everyone in the thread, because widows are all over the place. They could be the most common spider, but nobody usually sees them because they are very sneaky, and don't put their webs out for everyone to see.

2. yea, no offense, but I'm trusting licensed medical professionals over a blade. lol. most likely was not a Black Widow Spider.... No, Black Widows are not "all over the place". lmao!

3. I will quote the important areas about their population for you, but here are links just in case you want to find them yourself...

ADW: Latrodectus mactans: INFORMATION

Conservation Status

Black widow spiders are fairly common and they are afforded no special conservation protections

Black Widow and Other Widow Spiders Management Guidelines--UC IPM

The western black widow spider-a native species-is widespread and is the spider posing the greatest threat to humans in the Western United States. It is well known in many localities, and nonprofessionals can identify it easily.

*Not as informative*

What is the population of the black widow spider

-------------------

Southern black widow spider

Pest Status: Most notorious of all spiders in the United States; venom is highly virulent, but the spider is quite timid. Even when disturbed in its web it attempts to escape rather than to attack. Widow spiders are known from every state (except Maine where it undoubtedly also occurs) and several Canadian provinces. It is uncommon in the north but quite abundant in the south and west.

Northern Black Widow Spider (Latrodectus variolus)

Surprisingly, as common as this spider is, black widow bites are infrequent because the spider is actually very timid and prefers fleeing when disturbed.

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2294/EPP-7301webcolor.pdf

The TITLE even says they are a common spider :rolleyes:

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html

Spider identification of venomous and dangerous spiders most commonly found in homes, their habitat areas, venom toxicity and spider bite first aid procedures.

placed next to our famous brown recluse in the spiders you will most likely find inside your home.

I could go on, but I think you get the point, they are more common than you think. People just don't get bit by them often because Widows are very timid. They prefer not to bite people, they would rather run away. That doesn't mean they aren't everywhere, it just means Widows are also ninjas.

4. Thats a brown recluse not a widow.

5. [quote name='"cball"']ya...if you're having tremors go to the hospital...

later...think of some revenge..go bite a spider...

:p[/quote]

Om nom nom. Looks like one tasty arachnid

6. Damn ninja assassin spiders. Got to watch out for them. Now that they know your tasty, they will be plotting to return and steal you away to their spider overlords. There the spider over lords will soften you up, then nom on your tasty corpse.

Prepare your self and good luck.

XD

7. NOW I'M FREAKING THE FUCK OUT :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. #28 Mr Pink, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2012
    Uhhh something is not right here. I really doubt if you got bit by a black widow and were having bad muscle cramps and tremors all they would offer you is iboprofen.

Not accusing anyone of anything. But that sounds like a load of shit

9. ^ its probably some idiot at the front desk that either

1) doesn't know it was a black widow and thinks its just a spider bite
    2) is an idiot and doesn't know what a black widow is

Or op is joshing is, but he hasn't come back. Maybe hes in the hospital

10. JUan I was thinking the same thing
    thembrown recluse can do youin dam Ihate spiders
    Blak widows bite looks more like a picked pimple with redblouchy spot aroundI believe
    I am not a expert but trying to make sure our brother makes it.

11. This thread is fucking terrifying

Good vibes op, don't die

12. just watch out for infection if you see a red line going from you bite you need to go to the hospital cause you have a blood infection... i got bit by a spider or somthing scratched it and my knee got so swollen i couldnt bend it or stand up cause the pain of the blood flowing to it would be so intense

13. Dont worry about it. black widow venom, while painful, is not as dangerous as the media and ignorant people make it out to be.

[​IMG]

The image above is NOT a black widow bite. The venom of the black widow is a neurotoxin, and does not cause necrosis unless infected and neglected.

I get bit by them fairly frequently, all that happens is an irregular heartbeat, abdominal cramps, and local pain, with a headache. The doc was right in suggesting you only take pain medication. Antivenin can be dangerous, and should only be used if you're suffering life-threatening symptoms, which you obviously aren't.

As for the comment that black widows can kill, they CAN, but any spider can if you're not in good health and have a compromised immune system.

Dont worry OP.. you'll feel better later today. your best treatment is to relax the best you can, and not let some of these ignorant fuckers scare you. Just get stoned, watch a good movie or show, and let your body take care of the venom.

14. FUCK THAT. Where do you live OP?

15. [quote name='"Stihmata"']Widow bite gone bad
    This is what can happen dude keep an eye on it and if you have breathing problems get to the Hospital
    [/quote]

That's a camel spider bite..

16. Ah, that picture from many youtube videos about bites from spiders,snakes, etc.
    I don't believe that was a black widow bite.. Just googled it and found that picture with the caption saying brown recluse bite which from what I've seen and read over time develops a much worse looking wound.

I will spare you the technical talk but a black widow's venom basically causes pain by not letting muscles relax through Latrodectism while the brown recluse's venom destroys tissue and causes necrosis through Loxoscelism. In short that is not a black widow bite.

I honestly was curious myself so that's the cause of the lengthy reply.

17. My Dad got bit by a black widow about a yr ago, at work, on his hand... its not something you just let slide and heal itself! He went to the hospital they gave him some good painkillers, ib you can buy at the store! That shit doesnt even help pain... but he was shitty, hardcore flu like symptoms for about 3-4 days.. and that picture is a brown recluse bite! They eat away at the skin not like a black widow bite!.. but people do die from widows: black widow, brown widow..

18. This man knows what he is talking about. A black widow bite isn't likely to kill you unless you are already in bad health. Even with a brown recluse you have to have an allergy to them. My uncle got bit on the nuts by a brown recluse and it almost rotted them off. I have been bitten by a brown recluse at least twice I know of for a fact because I saw it happen and all that happened was I got a little red zit like thing that went away after a few days.

19. [quote name='"SuperMonkey26"']

This man knows what he is talking about. A black widow bite isn't likely to kill you unless you are already in bad health. Even with a brown recluse you have to have an allergy to them. My uncle got bit on the nuts by a brown recluse and it almost rotted them off. I have been bitten by a brown recluse at least twice I know of for a fact because I saw it happen and all that happened was I got a little red zit like thing that went away after a few days.[/quote]

Then you didnt get bit by a recluse! They do more damage then a widow and are way more aggressive.. even if in good health a widow bite will fuck you up for a couple days..

20. No.

In reality I'd say about 80% of recluse bites are Asymptomatic, excluding localized pain and swelling.

Half the time a spider bites you, it's a dry bite, anyway.

And no, recluses are not aggressive at all in any way. All bites from a recluse occur when the spider is either pinched or grabbed, or was under an article of clothing, then pressed against the skin. 100% defensive.

They are very docile spiders.

Now Widows can either be docile or aggressive, depending on the state of the female. When they have egg sacs, they become aggressive and dart out much faster when their webs are disturbed. In most cases, when you touch a widow spider directly, it will ball up, drop from the web, and play dead.

Please learn about the species in question before you give advice. Just because you saw that nature's deadliest crap doesn't mean you know the whole story about them.