Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bipolar, convincing parents

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by explosive, May 25, 2010.

1. So I've been smoking for several years, and I also have bipolar disorder. Just recently my parents found out that I smoke, and they're not too happy about it. They're afraid that it's going to make me turn psychotic or have a manic episode or something. I've tried telling them that I've been doing it for a long time since my last episode and I haven't had another, so it probably isn't going to cause a manic episode. That doesn't convince them, though. They think it could happen anyway - it might just take a while.

What's at issue isn't whether or not I'm going to do it. I'm going to keep smoking no matter what. However, I would feel better if I could get my parents on my side - to at least make them realize that it isn't going to cause psychosis or anything like that. It'd be nice if I could smoke in the house, too - though that might be expecting too much. :smoke:

Anyway, does anybody have any ideas as to what I could say to convince them that smoking is just fine for me? Any evidence that I could show them or facts I could tell them?

2. their often fear that marijuana is gon make some one go pshyco.. in the whole time i been using MJ i never seen a case that proves it.. maybe a case study that says find links.. but often this study are a bit holey for my taste..

bi-polor is still not fully understand and eaither is marijuana.. like how it works wiff the body and etc etc etc.. any who

i dun know if this was wat u was lookin for but take a look

The Use of Cannabis as a Mood Stabilizer in Bipolar Disorder: Anecdotal Evidence and the Need for Clinical Research

Best Way - Cannabis for the Treatment of Bipolar Disorder | eHow.com

this one seem pretty interesting and i think has wat u mite be lookin for

Bipolar Disorder Daily News Blog: Cannabis in bipolar

hope thizzz help.....

p.s Burn that Sh!t Son ... !!!!! :cool:

3. One of my best buddies from college is bipolar, and he smokes quiiiite a bit. He said it almost calmed him down when he smoked during his first and only manic episode, but that may just be him. He hasn't had one since, and he smokes just as much as he always has.

My answer to this question is really just based on the experience of watching a friend go through a manic cycle and being a seasoned toker. His is just one example, but I think it's as good an answer as you're going to get. There's little to no research on drug interactions within those with many mental illnesses, and the excuse is that "you shouldn't be taking drugs in the first place"! Yeah, I know. It's so helpful. -_-

I mean, marijuana doesn't even interact negatively with other substances in your body (look around at what little research there is...pot just makes every other drug have less awful side-effects!). And above all, weed's a downer. If you're taking a depressant, it seems logical that it won't make you manic.

If I were you, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Spiraling into depression just isn't worth it to me (and I have severe depression myself, so I'm well aware of what it's like). But if you're worried about manic episodes rather than depressive episodes, then I'd do it anyway! My friend said that his manic episode was the happiest he'd ever been, despite the lack of sleep and appetite, and often hints that he misses it. He makes it sound (and just by seeing the way he acted) like the best mental disease ever, haha! Not to say that it is, but it sounds like there are worse things.

I'll tell you this much, though: DON'T TAKE ADDERALL, or any stimulant at all, really (coke, meth, and even mushrooms and acid). The effects of adderall look like mania for a reason, and that's because it actually INDUCES it. Lack of sleep, high energy, no appetite, unnatural focus, deep thinking and introspection, weight loss, increased socializing, uninhibited decision-making...it's all the same. That's a one-way ticket to a string of more than just Manic Mondays, there. All a bipolar mind needs is for something to flip that switch, and adderall does an excellent job of that.

Sorry this wound up being tremendous. If I can help you out more, let me know.

4. And for God's sake, stay away from Salvia. That shit will really fuck with your BPD. The general rule of thumb is to use the right strain for the right phase. Mom/brother/nephew are bipolar. My nephew was in a psych ward after his last manic episode and was told by the psychiatrist to give Cannabis a try. She suggested he stick to indica during the manic phases and sativa during the depressive phases. That was three years ago and he is doing great.

I don't know what will work for you but this is working for him. Now he his working full time and is married and has a son. Before he couldn't concentrate enough to keep a job. I've seen how it can work for you. But make sure you don't get overconfident and always seek medical help if you feel you can't handle stuff.

5. No amount of anything is going to change your parents minds. They grew up with the killer weed that makes you stupid and causes wild sex orgies.

Even after personally dealing with prescription addiction and a family memeber who is still struggling with it, my family will not accept the the fact that cannabis is safer. A well edumicated family.

the evidence is overwhelming but so are the lies.

smoking in the house? good luck man. Even after I moved out my rents would make me smoke it my car. Now I make them go outside to smoke cigarettes while I toke up inside.

6. I have issues, and I am a medical marijuana patient. I haven't had a single manic episode since I started smoking. I attribute this to marijuana helping me sleep at night, and enabling me to tell my brain that those tiny nagging thoughts don't matter.
    You probably won't be able to convince your parents. They already "know" what they want to know. My parents were okay with it, because I used it to wean off of 13 medications that were killing me.
    Here's what wiki says:

7. #7 Samanthamudgirl, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
    Damn glad I'm not. It's like how cannabis enhances your senses, BP enhances your emotions and it can be good, especially for creative people.

Not all BP's are irrational and dangerous! There was a time when I was dangerous to myself and to others, but I am stable now, And I should be able to maintain stability throughout my life. Many Bp's are stable after their one and only manic episode, or a season of episodes, so you have no clue.

And you assume that someone with BP is disturbed and for someone to call the OP disturbed when you have no clue is asinine.

BTW, Ativan does nothing for me, i don't know about the OP, but you should not be playing doctor here.

Stop talking about things you know nothing about.

Sammy

8. Hi guys, Hi OP!

I have't read through these links yet. They are from the stickies in the MMJ forum.

BIPOLAR DISORDER

The Use of Cannabis as a Mood Stabilizer in Bipolar Disorder: Anecdotal Evidence and the Need for Clinical Research
    The Use of Cannabis as a Mood Stabilizer in Bipolar Disorder

Cannabinoids in bipolar affective disorder: a review and discussion of their therapeutic potential.
    Cannabinoids in bipolar affective disorder: a revi... [J Psychopharmacol. 2005] - PubMed result

Cannabis in bipolar
    Bipolar Disorder Daily News Blog: Cannabis in bipolar

Recipe For Trouble (anecdotal)
    Recipe For Trouble - 48 Hours - CBS News

The effect of extreme marijuana use on the long-term course of bipolar I illness: a single case study.
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Opposite relationships between cannabis use and neurocognitive functioning in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.
    Unbound MEDLINE | Opposite relationships between cannabis use and neurocognitive functioning in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Journal article

Good luck, I hope you find something relevant,

Sammy

9. Listen I know what BiPolar is. Got a friend that has it and he's as fucked up as a soup sandwich.

Yes someone w/ BP is disturbed. If they weren't they would not be BP.

Playing Dr.? So by telling him smoking dope is good for ya is not playing Dr.?

Seems so many claim to be BP now days. Never knew we had so many fucked up kids running around.

As far as being BP being good for ya, that goes right off the stupid scale. Being crazy is not good for ya, creative or not. You think your Van Gough or someone?

10. #10 Ralta, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
    Although living with bipolar can be, at times, fun and exilarating; it can also be a complete ball ache and a one way ticket to an institution. The contradiction of the good and the bad is not something that someone without the disorder can have explained to them.

To the OP, are you on any pharmaceuticals? If not, I would seriously advise that you look into it. MJ is good for allowing relief from various aspects of the disorder (anxiety, lack of sleep etc) but it doesn't provide everything ie mood stabilising.

This comes from four years experience of effectively medicating soley with cannabis whilst doctors tried to find a drug treatment that was effective. I was still cycling, but smoking to take the edge off of my moods; wasn't overly effective unfortunately. However, I am now on one pill and smoke to deal with the anxiety and sleeplessness.

As for trying to convince parents; it may take a long time, but even if they don't end up accepting it totally, they will probably give up arguing. Just don't give up trying. I ended up taking a T break to demonstrate what happened when I wasn't using MJ, and saw a drug doctor before mine accepted that it helps me.

Good luck OP, let us know how it goes...

11. One more-

Cannabis Spray for Bipolar (news - 2005)
    Cannabis Spray for Bipolar

Wish I had more...

You may find that the newer high CBD strains that are coming out are better for you. But every one is different!

Stay the F*** away from booze! My mom was bipolar and her "medicating" (read- drinking herself unconscious every night) is what lead to her death. :( And I agree about staying away from salvia, too. For me, it gives a TOTAL disconnect with reality- much more so than LSD (and I once took a 6 man tab of LSD in the 70s, and did quite nicely!)

Granny :wave:

12. I concur, self medicating of a serious biological based illness with weed is not an easy thing to master (if even it is possible.)

Find a caring therapist or psychologist who knows something about psychotherapy (i.e you will still have to take medication but the analysis - talking - part of the process will really make you feel better in the long run.

Just my 2 cents. :)

13. it's their house and if your under 18 you shouldn't be doing it. it's illegal and if something happens in the house, your parents can get in trouble. if they allowed you to smoke in the house that is called maintaining a drug house. wait until you got your own place. finish school, get a good stable job, get a nice house, get a medical card, learn how and grow the best dope, smoke the best dope, live life fat. do this and your parents will see that smoking isnt so bad for you. prove them wrong by showing them you can smoke and do good. dont do anything stupid and try using bi polar as a crutch.

14. You know this was totally uncalled for and shows what an asshole you truly are. You cannot even imagine the damage your small minded, bigoted, callous dumbassery can cause. Do us all a favor and stick to the under 12 I'm-such-an-immature-asshole forums. You seem better suited for that.

15. OP, there's lots info on MJ in the links that you've been provided by bayarea, Samanthamudgirl and Granny Storm Crow.

I hope that they are able to "see" that MJ is NOT harmful and has proven beneficial for many things. You could also check out State MMJ websites (US), Canada's MMJ site, etc....and see if there's anything on those that will help.

Please ignore the uneducated / rude comments that seem to have made their way into your thread ;)

Good luck to you!

There ARE varying degrees of BiPolar and the assumption that people living with bipolar are incapable of making rational decisions, and are a threat to themselves and others, clearly shows your lack of knowledge on the subject at hand.

You're post / comment was uncalled for.

Do you have anything helpful to contribute, or are you just here to cause drama? :rolleyes:

There is no need to bash members that are looking for factual information on the medical benefits of MJ, or those that are helping them.