Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bipolar, and weed as medicine

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Ralta, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Ralta here

Just realised I tried to post the thread in the wrong place, duh lol

I want to know all of your thoughts on the subject of avoidance of evil pills that dull my creativity. I have "bipolar disorder with drug induced psychosis" The bipolar I can see, but the drug induced psychosis, I dont know. To be frank, i couldnt give a damn whether it is psychosis, I enjoy being me, and I enjoy being free, and for me tht means smoking the drug that helps me deal with life. Job isnt really a problem, my parents and I are working together in our own kennels and cattery, and I love it. Dogs are what fire me up. But equally in order to function in a strange world, I need my crutch and I feel that the psychiatrists are stealing that from me. They feed me pill after pill after pill, and when I say I dont want them, and I carry on smoking, they cut me off. France is good for that kinda thing :(

I want to know about anyone elses experiences with mental illness and how u cope please.

Ralta out:)

2. I can't say I have a mental illness, but I have a physical illness so I know how it goes getting fed pill after pill and it not do shit.

3. Thanks for the reply man, ultimately, with it, u are the master of your own illness; Ive come to the conclusion that the doctors, unless they are in or have personal experience of it, know shit all; I wish France was a country that could administer medicinal cannabis, but I need to wait and see what a different doc says. Im hopeful of getting my own way :) We shall see, and u shall all be kept posted. Keep toking :)

Ralta

4. im diagnosed bipolar and weed really helps. i am on meds though as well i take depakote but still cycle. weed helps me both ways when im depressed i take things too serious and dont eat for days, well its hard to not laugh and eat while high. also my manic phase is not fun i am just an angry ball of rage that cant sleep and worries too much, well stoned no worries, no anger, and usually a good night sleep. i say if weed can handle your cycle with no other meds great, but if you need meds maybe you shoould give them a shot. i believe if i could work high i could skip my meds, i take a quick hit in the morning before i go wich makes the day better if i could stay stoned bipolar wouldnt be an issue and isnt that all brain drugs are, substances to use all day and all night to makre things appear better? sorry for the rambling, kinda high

5. #5 MANIC-MAID3N, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2009
    Hell yeah!
    The herb helps with my bi-polar better than any pill I've ever taken man!

I'm bi-polar too.

6. I'm not bipolar, but my Mom was- I'm just "moody" and cannabis really helps me! You might find these studies/articles from "Granny Storm Crow's list" (linked below) interesting. Consider sharing them with your doctors.

The Use of Cannabis as a Mood Stabilizer in Bipolar Disorder: Anecdotal Evidence and the Need for Clinical Research
    The Use of Cannabis as a Mood Stabilizer in Bipolar Disorder

Cannabinoids in bipolar affective disorder: a review and discussion of their therapeutic potential.
    Cannabinoids in bipolar affective disorder: a revi...[J Psychopharmacol. 2005] - PubMed Result

Cannabis in bipolar
    Bipolar Disorder Daily News Blog: Cannabis in bipolar

Recipe For Trouble (anecdotal)
    Recipe For Trouble - 48 Hours - CBS News

The effect of extreme marijuana use on the long-term course of bipolar I illness: a single case study.
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Granny :wave:

7. Like many mary jane controls my anger/mood without it every little thing pisses me off or annoys me very easily
    not sure if i got i bipolar hospitals and doctors scare the shiat out of me. but i think i may have a mild case of it.

8. This is really helping convince me I am on the right course of action. In France, numpty shrink tries to convince me MJ (or morrocan hash as it is here, shiiiiit to the French lol) is bad with my meds. I am currently on xanax, which helps calm me, and abilify, which is a total waste of money, 115€ for 36 pills wtf! In the past I was put on Respiridone, Tercian and ceroplex (cipralex) and they all just fucked with my head. Example, trying to keep on the meds alone, I was on a course with mum for our kennel qualification and I just kept falling asleep. Try explaining tht to a shrink when she a) wont allow mum into the meetings and b) threatens to cut u off if u dont listen. Hence my course of action atm is to go to call up the rehab place in bordeaux and try and convince them to supply mmj. My old biker cricketing buddy told me "when i gave up smoking I did, but if I ever want a smoke, ill fucking have one" plus rep to him says I. I have been off mj for nine days now, and hating every goddamn minute of it. Btw, thanku all for your comments, and ill try and reply asap. Keep toking

Ralta

9. BTW Cali and Holland are looking very good places to re emigrate to, life is far far too complex atm. :)

10. Consider sharing them with your doctors.
    I will do Granny, making a call to my nurse tomorrow, she seems far more accepting than my provincial shrink. The problem is with where I live, the difference in opinion on MJ is so great, as I am sure it is wherever. I am a Brit, diagnosed in England, following a massive depressive episode, where I did not eat for two weeks and drunk only water, still attended university but was a walking shadow. Without MJ to calm me, the meds do their little bit, but nothing they seem to try has worked yet, and I have been voluntarilly sectioned twice. I feel for the first time people here are BEGINNING to accept my views on what is ultimately my own cross to bear. However, the difficulty is as has been said above, holding down a job. Therefore, I am lucky to work in the family kennels near Bordeaux. However, in order to purchase MJ i need cash, and cash comes from mum...u see the problem. However, I have been cyling v v rapidly due to my step fathers experience of psychiatric nursing in the 70s, and his antequated approach to psych therepy. Im lost and dont quite know what to do and where to go. Oh well, when there is the will there is a way, eh?

11. #11 tharedhead, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2009
    cannabidiol (CBD) is heading for phase III clinical trials as an anti-psychotic
    The drug company media blitz is starting:

"CBD good, THC Bad" article:

How cannabis holds an unlikely way to treat schizophrenia - Times Online

Finished prelim study:

A Clinical Trial on the Antipsychotic Properties of Cannabidiol - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

12. it seems like whenever ur off the drugs u smoke weed and whenever ur taking the drugs u completely stop smoking from your posts. u can still smoke while taking these medicines its not like pharmcueticals where if you mix the wrong 2 pills u could die weed wont make your pills any more dangerous. i would just stop cashing in your prescriptions and just stick to the bud... everytime she writes ur prescriptions just throw it in the garbage... whenever u can get bud if its inconsistently then buy in bulk so you dont have to run out looking for bud once a week just buy a a couple weeks worth for me a half ounce would last a little over 2 weeks... hopefully one day you will be able to take your medicinal herb legally and can say fuck you to those pills thats side effects are the same if not worse then the condition it treats

13. I was given my medicinal marijuana recommendation for Bipolar disorder. I still live with my parents though and until I move out (which will hopefully be pretty soon) I won't be able to stop taking my meds completely. They think that if I'm off of what the psychiatrist prescribes I'll go bonkers and light the house on fire or something.

I'm glad you mentioned the whole thing about creativity though. People really need to acknowledge that the majority of those that have some form of "mental illness" usually also have extremely artistic minds. Taking someone's imagination away should be a crime.

Anywho, I make music and part of what I fight against is the corrupted and Orwellian system that controls America. Word.

Psychiatry=Lobotomy

14. do they regulate yur pill cycle or is it possible that you could secretly stop taking them collect the pills in a seperate container then after 2 or 3 weeks of no problems pull out the container filled with all the pills you were SUPPOSED to take and be like told ya

15. If I did that they would just say that it was a matter of time before I ran into some problems. Perhaps if I did that for a couple of months it might work.

I have actually stopped taking them recently though. It just sort of happened unintentionally. It's funny because every time I'm off those meds my life completely transforms into awesomness. Up until now I hadn't really worked on any songs for months and now I feel like I'm back in the game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBVip6knLS4"]YouTube - Bipolar Nation: Rage Against Psychiatry![/ame]

16. Its an odd situation with bipolar for me, I cant live alone as I spend all my money on stupid shit, eg buyin a gibson guitar when i had no money. However, working and living with the rents is tough. I totally agree, and I am going to be forceful with my new doctor with all the cool stuff that you kind ppl are sending. Truthfully I am scared of my illness and I dont know how to cope without my parents. I agree about bulk buying, thts a good point, and my boy here is a good chap, so I will discuss with him. However, I am also coming to the conclusion I need my own space to do my shit without interference for a while. We shall see.

Ralta

17. God is in the head, creativity is mans way of reaching for god, green acts as a catalyst for creativity. Therefore, logic dictates god is weed ;) (wry smile upon my face)

18. #19 Ralta, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2009

The way I dont deal with it is just to talk them into oblivion and that destroys me. I cant help it, when im not stoned. They think im stoned when im not, so apparentally act a good act. However, I hate doing it. But ultimately, I am better when I accept what I am a total pot head, and it is best, when and if they find out about your MMJ recommendation, to tell the truth, I wish u luck and hope it doesnt come to that. Im in a country that loves pills and hates weed.
    Oh well, the kennels are going well at least. That is what ultimately helps me, when things go well for me, as most of the time I feel like a complete fuck up :( even though I know I am not. Confused? I am lol

Ralta

Ps Loved the video, its so true...

19. BTW thanks all for replying, it is making life easier to speak to u all :) Pls carry on