Biology class in College is making me depressed..

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Pokie, Oct 19, 2011.

1. I need some major help.

I'm very bad at test taking. And I thought going into college I would be okay, and boy was I wrong.
    I failed all of my first classes in college, but I turned all of them around (Including my calc grade) But Biology. I just can't seem to do it.
    I only have 2 more tests in the class, and the final. I'm not doing -that- bad in the lab class, but I just can't do well on the lecture tests.
    In high school I used to ride on my homework and in class activities. My teachers all knew I was bad at test taking but I got good grades because I put the work into it. I'm still here putting the work into it and still getting the bad test grades.
    Maybe i just don't study correctly. Or maybe I freak out during the tests. But either way I really need some tips or advice.
    I have to keep a 3.0 for my scholarship and I'm afraid I'm going to lose it and have a lot of debt when I graduate. I'm majoring in secondary education in biology and I don't know whether to drop this class before I fail it and take it next semester or what. :confused:

Sorry for the long post. But i've really been depressed and self loathing about this. School has been the only thing I've ever been good at (hence my desire to teach) and I just feel like I'm not good at anything anymore. My depression about it makes it hard for me to be confident and get in the mood to do more to get better grades.

2. This is the story of my entire college career...lol. I'm horrible at taking tests. I made it through, but graduated with a low gpa.

If you're having a lot of trouble in this class and your gpa can't drop below 3.0, it might be a good idea to drop the class and retake it another time, if it's not going to screw things up with you graduating on time.

In my experience, classes are much easier the second time you take them and I'm sure you will do well if you retake it. Stay in this class until the very last minute that you can withdraw, though, so you know what to expect the second time around.

It also might help to talk to the teacher. Tell him your situation and ask if there's any advice he has for you, or what's the best way to study the info?

Good luck with everything!!

3. get help from student tutors... they have taken the class before and they know what will be emphasized on the exams... they tell you what to focus on for high yield points

4. Look for extra help and talk to your professor. If it's not too late, you might want to consider withdrawing pending how bad you're doing and any financial aid/scholarship restrictions.

Truth is Biology for majors is a killer to unsuspecting college freshman. Being a science intensive course there is a lot of material to cover. A problem a lot of people make is not spending enough time on it. For me I spent an average of 3 hours a day studying the Biology text, understanding diagrams and making connections.

5. What exactly do you mean by bad at taking tests? How so? I have never understood this. Either you know the material or you don't, at least that's how i see it.

Care to elaborate so I can understand more? I'm not trying to be disrespectful btw

6. #6 giraffe, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2011
    I'm a 4th year bio major, had to take a lot of classes over because I just didn't know how to manage my time and study correctly, and also I was really depressed for a while. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.

Make a daily agenda of your day. Hour by hour.

I am a visual learner so I draw all the pictures in the books. I color them and label everything.

The key is to study everyday. Study in advance. Read the book before lecture. Repetition makes perfect.

There is no such thing as a bad test taker. I am severe ocd/ add and have the worst attention span ever, but if I know the material, I will finish my test before everyone else, always.

I cruised through high school without doing anything, was in the top 20% of over 1300 kids in my graduating class. (The biggest school in the nation)

COLLEGE is Not like high school at all. Every person learns differently, so find your style and stick with it. The key is to really put in the effort and make your brain work and COMPREHEND.

You're gonna be learning complex processes about DNA, cell cycles, RNA etc., so don't expect to learn it in one day. vocabulary is only secondary, your professors want you to learn CONCEPTS.

Also it helps to detach emotionally from your classes. Just do it, like Nike says. Don't get all depressed about a bad grade; what's done is done. If you didn't do well, its your own fault. Just focus your energy on the next test and do your best. You feel bad because you didn't do everything in your power to succeed on a test.

Ask your teacher or teachers assistant for help. Go to office hours, teachers love when students ask for help. If you buddy up with teacher, he might cut you slack if you get a 78%, and make it a B. You never know.

7. I feel the same way. I've never understood this. People in HS would call me a "good test taker" because I could score high on the test without doing any of the assigned homework or studying. It's just a matter of knowing it or not.

8. Im pretty bad at taking tests, and a lot of time i find myself thinking of other things. Like looking around at everyone else.
    There's also been times, where ive known the information, but because of the stress of the test ive seemingly forgotten it, only to remember minutes AFTER the test is done.
    Its like if i run into a problem, even one im used to, i just cant seem to focus on anything OTHER then the fact i cant get through it.
    I did just get diagnosed with ADHD (im 20). Ive clearly had it my whole life, and am only know accepting it and trying to work through it.

A good example for me is in first year i was preparing for my statics class (not stats its statics: looking at objects and their static forces). My roommate knew nothing, so i spent the night teaching him everything i knew. The next night when we wrote the test, i blanked because of the simplicity of the questions (i was expecting harder ones funnily enough). I began to freak out on the test, couldnt remember how to do even the simplest of questions.
    To make a long story short, my roommate got just shy of 80%, and i got 30%.

All in all, standardized testing is one of the worst ways to prove knowledge, albeit the most efficient for any post secondary setup.

9. [quote name='"kanadiankush"']
    Im pretty bad at taking tests, and a lot of time i find myself thinking of other things. Like looking around at everyone else.
    There's also been times, where ive known the information, but because of the stress of the test ive seemingly forgotten it, only to remember minutes AFTER the test is done.
    Its like if i run into a problem, even one im used to, i just cant seem to focus on anything OTHER then the fact i cant get through it.
    I did just get diagnosed with ADHD (im 20). Ive clearly had it my whole life, and am only know accepting it and trying to work through it.

A good example for me is in first year i was preparing for my statics class (not stats its statics: looking at objects and their static forces). My roommate knew nothing, so i spent the night teaching him everything i knew. The next night when we wrote the test, i blanked because of the simplicity of the questions (i was expecting harder ones funnily enough). I began to freak out on the test, couldnt remember how to do even the simplest of questions.
    To make a long story short, my roommate got just shy of 80%, and i got 30%.

All in all, standardized testing is one of the worst ways to prove knowledge, albeit the most efficient for any post secondary setup.[/quote]

If u want, you can register with your schools disability resource center, and get a quiet testing environment, even extra time.

But honestly, adhd is just a crutch, and excuse. Just relax before your test and get into the zone. It takes discipline and confidence.
    you can try pharmaceuticals if shit gets outta hand. Whatever works for you to succeed in school.

10. I already have. I just got diagnosed over the summer, so ive setup extra time and a separate room for myself. I definitely advise anybody in a similar situation to do the same.

But honestly man, its not a crutch, or an excuse.
    Is it over prescribed? especially in children? yes, does that make it nonexistent? no.
    Trust me ive seen my scores, my spacial, math, and language abilities are well above average, where my memory and attention span are slightly above clinical levels (well below average).

I know you werent trying to be offensive, but honestly its much more then an excuse or crutch... and the fact that you believe it is clearly shows you dont know too much about it.

It doesnt help that im in one of the more academically demanding programs either.

11. #11 giraffe, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2011
    not trying to offend at all, man. I posted above I have add, too, and I'm a 4th year bio and psychology major. I know a lot about the subject but seeing it in the real world, people use it as an excuse to slack or they accept that their potential is limited. Many add/adhd ppl struggle with self esteem issues, it's about recognizing this and then working on your confidence. Anxiety is killer when you've got to concentrate, so its all about learning to manage and control your anxiety.

I really do understand where youre coming from though, I misread directions, mix up numbers, mix up + and - signs, miss the 'NOT' in questions, all kinds of shit. Professors keep a close eye on me Cus they think I'm cheating when I'm really just looking around the classroom. I have to read questions seeeeveral times before I actually retain it and comprehend it. These things have definitely hurt my grades in classes like calculus, organic chem, physics, etc. Etc.

Attention deficit is really only recognized and treated in some parts of the world. In other places, you just deal with it. My mom and dad are both super ADD, and were dirt poor when they got to America. My dad is a top nuclear engineer, and my mom was top of her very competitive nursing school, and right now she has a 4.0 gpa, studying for her masters.

When I tell my parents I'm not doing so hot in school, they just don't understand. They had to do school on barely any sleep, in tiny dorms shared with 10+ ppl, and barely any food/money. How stressful is that?

If I told my grandfather, RIP, I was doing bad in school because I was a bad test taker, he woulda told me how he had to kill people in WWII.

Don't get down on yourself Cus youre a "bad" test taker or have a very active wandering brain compared to the average person. Instead focus on what you can improve and what your strengths are.

12. Drop out of college. It's a money-making scheme of Grand Proportions! Only a Masters or above will get you a job nowadays anyway!

13. [quote name='"PercolatorBong"']Drop out of college. It's a money-making scheme of Grand Proportions! Only a Masters or above will get you a job nowadays anyway![/quote]

Whatever you do, don't listen to this guy. While college is overpriced it's necessary. If a masters degree will barely get you a job, imagine what just a high school diploma gets you? You're already there, get that degree! Unless you wanna be 45 making 35k a year

14. Bullshit^^

15. lol dude u need a bachelors to get a masters or higher

16. It might be too late at this point... you can always take it again.

Read your information before going to lecture that way you have some form of foundation with the upcoming material that you are being lectured on.

Be relaxed when you take tests, do not consider the what ifs. Go in, get it done.

17. My teacher said it's not knowing the material that's harming me, its having to take it one step further. It's like she'll ask you something, but then ask you "Hey what would happen if.." and I don't know. I just have had a hard time putting the stuff I've learned to a kind of use I guess. It's hard for me to take what I know and guess what would happen if certain things are changed. It takes a lot of time to think about and I only have 50 minutes to finish a test.

18. Thanks so much. Some great advise. It's just so hard to not be emotionally attached because being brought up all "get good grades or else!" really bothers ya. But i see where your coming from, I need to stop being all emo and start preparing. Thank you.