Biocharcoal

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Thizface, Nov 26, 2011.

1. I read some articles about using activated charcoal in soil mixes, similar to terra preta. I think Ohio state received federal grant for research. I used a brand inoculated with microbes in my current grow with success. Anybody have any in depth knowledge about it?

2. Great question. I don't know but am subbed hoping to learn

3. Soil microbiology and biochemistry 2nd edition by e.a. Paul

It stated a carbon nitrogen level of at least 250:1 was needed in order prevent nitrogen lock up.

Also it seems to me that It could be an easy carbon source for bacteria to uptake.

4. [quote name='"Thizface"']Soil microbiology and biochemistry 2nd edition by e.a. Paul

It stated a carbon nitrogen level of at least 250:1 was needed in order prevent nitrogen lock up.

Also it seems to me that It could be an easy carbon source for bacteria to update.[/quote]

Uptake

5. #5 WeeDroid, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    hmmm, have I just found what to do with my depleted activated charcoal in my air filters?

6. Oh please. Is this really all to be said here on biochar?
    This little train is pulling up this mt and my wheels are beginning to slip. Is there another link to hear more about this carbon "sink"?
    Are those make your own biochar youtubes for bozos?
    My monkeymind doesn't like the basement but there's something about microbial innoculated biochar dispersed that feels warm and fuzzy.
    Is it normal to still feel confused or is biochar more of a safe the earth remedial revolution to correct what has been wreckless farming techniques?
    Does making biochar for small grows make any sense, esp if I plan to herd BSO with a good premix peat blend. Ammended with rice hull alfalfa neem fish meals and glacial rock dust, azomite, ewc composted fully manures with bone meal ,blood meal (yes, I did green sand, dolomitic lime. This was drenched with humix and fulvics and some stuff called Vermaplex.
    Wouldn't adding biochar give a place for lots of aerated CEC's holding a birthing center for BSO?
    Any ideas on how much per cuft?
    So back to innoculants. If there is no time for a clover cover crop
    Is biochar useful to sequester good stuff?
    Thanks all. Sorry if this souns like a complaint about not enough re charlcoal.
    Really now weedroid, I am almost too stupid to catch your tongue in cheek about using your filter. What about using a new filter's crushed charcoal? Or buy some in the health store?
    Avoiding hydro stores seems ok if you live in Ca, but here in Hickville,home brew stores double for hydro and myco help.
    So thanks for not sending me back to the basement. It is however simply where I live.

7. #7 urlove, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    Actually I really want to know what is the temp range for good BSO?
    In nutrient cycling BSO survive heat. So that's good.
    But re plant tolerance of roots temp ranges is my concern as its getting cold. I have to open the doors lot to let the dogs out 25 times a day so the ambien hovers around 60F. To keep roots warm enough I have them in tubs with electic blanket and gel packs to be a heat sink to moderate extreme temps.

I know not to let soil temps drop below 60. Anybody know what is the upper limit on soil temp?
    Please offer the best links for keeping the roots warm enough without crossing a big line called "hot" Keeping the timer on the electric blanket is the task of the day.
    I will try to find the best link myself but always appreciate good direction. This board is the best! Thanks
    I just need a push in the right direction.

8. Temps for seedling root zone. Are harder to keep steady due to shere small volume of soil so this is a pretty tenuous situation.
    My four 4 inch plants are happy so I am too to be back to growing.
    It's snowing out there now.
    My obsession with warmth is possibly a common theme now. And I guess I need to start a new thread?
    Guess so!

9. I know pretty much 0 about biochar.

I did use graded charcoal when I had my orchid nursery for a very short while. After spending a lot of $$$$ for different sizes and then looking at it closely, I determined it was nothing more than plain old 'lump' charcoal just like I used in my smoker.

From then on, I would just go through the bags of lump charcoal and save the sizes that would be best for Vanda baskets or whatever and burn the rest in my smoker. The only size I ever needed to buy was one step up from 'fine' for seedlings.

*Biochar* sure sounds a lot like lump charcoal with a heftier price tag.:rolleyes:

Or, am I totally off base here?

Wet

10. They are basically "baking" logs instead of combusting them. You can make dang near the same product by igniting the bark on seasoned dry logs and then cutting back the airflow,basically the same as how they make natural lump charcoal. You could also make it by laying a piece of sheet metal over a grill grate,applying hardwood chips, and heating from the bottom.

11. "Yes indeed" on your first observation and "Not really" to your question.

LD

12. I wasn't being tongue in cheek.

I don't see the value of activated carbon to be worth the price. In other words, a low value input. Which LD's post above confirms for me.

However I do go through activated carbon filters and need to dispose of the old carbon granules (I buy raw activated carbon and refill my filters). Rather than tossing it out with the compost, (we have city pick up of recyclables as well as compost), it looks like I can reuse it in my soil mix.

A win win as they say.

13. As I see it now once you put activated charcoal with dirt it would be considered biocharcoal. Being that a large majority of soil microbes at this moment are yet to be identified it seems silly to buy microbes when you get more just from a scoop of dirt. To make activated charcoal is not hard but it requires you to bake the wood without oxygen. Maybe it might even bind up solutes which could also increase water potential.

14. #14 WeeDroid, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
    High quality ewc's are king as far as soil microbes go. Native soil has various levels depending on how good the soil actually is, although generally speaking you are correct. Native soil, generally speaking, is especially good for harvesting/culturing native microbes and soil life.

I would think that inoculating ones ewc's with native soil, assuming the soil is healthy, would be a very nice thing.

15. I bought some hardwood charcoal and busted it up and used that. I also made my own biochar in my fireplace with a can. I've had both in my soil mix... One thing I noticed, the 'proper' biochar is more silvery than straight black, like lump charcoal.

I bought like 4-5 bags of lump charcoal, planning on using it in my veggie garden. Never got around to it, yadda, yadda, used most of it for BBQ last summer. Maybe this year ;)

16. LOL

Smoke hawg!!

17. The best for BBQ salmon is make a fire with white oak, let it burn to coals, then throw some wet apple wood chips to smoke. Rub the fillet with some oil, cajun type seasoning, throw it on grate, skin up/flesh down. Ahhh yeah :yummy:

Cedar plank, my ass!

18. Is there anything else?

Not talking about those poor deluded souls in Texas with their *brisket*, whatever that is.;)

Add a little 'Boston style' jerk, looks sorta like Chimichurri, but will set your world on fire.;)

Just about ANYTHING is good in the smoker! Plus you get to play with fire and drink beer for 10-12 hrs. What more could you ask for, besides automatic weapons? LOL

Wet

19. Stankie, is that a crow on your head? Or is that a dream? MIW