Bio Degradeable material which roots can grow thru?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TomHenryCooper, May 31, 2010.

1. Does anyone know of a Bio Degradeable material which roots can grow thru?
    The material i'm looking resembles what is used to hold jiffy pellets together. I don't want a material which breaks down thru time.

The reason... is for seedlings/clones...
    I want to place rooted clones (from an aerocloner) in small bags containing perlite. Then, when clones are ready, they and the perlite bag will be placed amoungst clay pellets (Hydroton) in a hydro system, the bags will prevent the perlite from escaping into the hydro system. Much less the same as jiffy pellets, only instead of containing peat, i want perlite.

Any takers?

2. Thanks for the quick reply Adam, but thats not what i'm after. I need the material which holds jiffy pellets/pucks together or something similar.

I want to transfer rooted clones from an aerocloner into small pots of perlite. By doing so, the clones will grow roots thru the perlite, but when time comes to transplant into larger pots of clay pellets (what a mess), plus, the perlite will escape and mess with the hydro system.
    I need a material which the roots will grow thru, but hold the perlite from escaping into a hydro system.
    Panty hose or cotton sock are an idea, but you can imagin me going into a shop asking for a 100 pairs of them. This is for quite a few plants (SOG).

3. Try these: Foot Sox

4. Sorry mate, but the link doesn't work.

5. Interesting... works just fine for me. Anyway, just google "footsox". They are the sample stockings that are used in shoe stores for women.

6. Yes, the link works now.
    They look the idea size.
    Thanks mate.

When roots are obstructed, they will turn and try to get around an obsticial, does anyone know if it's possible for roots to grow thru panty hose/stockings? The nylon mesh seems very fine.

That question sounds very newbie(ish), but i've been growing for years, i just haven't experimented with these types of things. Maybe one of you members have.
    Thanks in advance.

7. I don't think they will work.
    I took a pair of my wifes stockings (fine mesh), i slide my hand into the stocking, i open my hand into a cup shape, stretching the material and tried peircing the material with a ballpoint pen, the nylon just stretches and stretches, it takes alot of force to penetrate the material with the pen.
    Any other ideas?

8. Try a search for Finch Bird Feeder Sock. It's a fine mesh designed to allow nijer seed through and finch can land on it.

[​IMG]