Bill Nye the Science Guy on the Denial of Evolution

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sam_Spade, Aug 25, 2012.

1. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHbYJfwFgOU]Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children - YouTube[/ame]

2. Bill Nye "The Science Guy" was booed in Waco, Texas for suggesting the Moon did not generate its own light, but reflected light from the sun. It all began when Bill Nye brought a bible and read Genesis 1:16 which says, "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars," and scientifically explained how the moon works. He was boo'd by a group of Christian kids and one woman shouted "We believe in God" as she walked out.

3. #3 StonedOpossum, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
    Too bad natural selection doesn't work against them...

4. Also...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlP_KniNQHw]Tie a Bow Tie with Bill Nye and Chris Hardwick - Bow Tie Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

5. If god made the stars for light at night for earth then why are they not only around earth?

6. Do you question the word of the Lord with such pompous?
    Take your sins elsewhere heathen.

7. Wait, what? The video is about Nye denouncing CREATIONISM, not evolution...

8. Creationalists deny evolution......

9. Young Earth Creationism = denial of evolution

10. Its crazy that America is so retarded. Like bill said. Other.countries don't seem to fail.at understanding science..

11. I know that. It was the way the OP worded this thread, as if Nye was denying evolution. Carry on.

12. Bill Nye; the Science Guy, on the "Denial of Evolution".

fixed with JUST punctuation. BAM....!

13. You my good sir have just made my day, and I'm not one hundred percent sure why.

14. I really don't see the problem with it. Many of histories greatest minds were believers in god and actually felt that since they believed the universe was created by an intelligent mind they can go out and make logical sense of it.

Most creationists will not argue with adaptation and the minor genetic alterations we all can observe on a daily basis, which I think is what most people get confused with when people state they don't believe in evolution.

Too call people retarded because they don't believe a dog can slowly overtime turn into an entirely sub-aquatic creature is ridiculous..

I'm not going to call someone crazy because they don't believe the sun's center is made up of chocolate for one simple reason, it hasn't been observed, it's all speculation.

People have the right to be skeptical of things we can not observe nor falsify.

Yes there is evidence for evolution, but there is also evidence against it. I truly and honestly do not believe the argument between evolution and creation will be solved until we as humans have been around long enough to have written documented history to directly observe a creature change into an entirely different creature.

15. And many great ones did not.

Dr. Nye refers to the magical thinking that necessitates replacing a systematic inquiry in order to reconcile this world view. Of course not all religious people do this. Do you know of Dr. Ken Miller? He's quite an interesting case study on the subject.

This is really not at all a commentary on religious faith (which, you will note, it why it is not in the RBS section), but rather a dismayed monologue on a demonstrably incorrect anachronistic convictions derived from poorly-interpreted ancient scripts.

I'm not quite sure what this means.

That's because a dog can't do that. Do you know how evolution works?

This is actually a bad example, and I really wish we could've gone more into stellar astronomy here, cause I dig it a lot.

Speciation has been observed.

This is not speculation. This is fact.

Skeptical? Absolutely!

Seek evidence!

There is?

In all reality, there isn't an argument. There is a big public education issue, but the empirical and legislative scales have come down against creationism.

See above link.

16. I'm speaking of genetic alterations that allow you to for example breed a dachshund from a wolf over successive generations.

And why is that?

Evolution claims Pakicetus slowly over million of years morphed into a whale, from a once completely land dwelling creature to a strictly sub-aquatic creature, which itself is defined as a dog-like mammal.

[​IMG]

Speciation isn't going to create new systems within an animal, it's still apart of adaptation.

It's a mechanism that allows you get a bear for example and stick it in any part of the world and over a few generations it is fully equipped to survive in that given environment.

Can you explain how you can evolve something such as the circulatory system from only altering pre-existing genetic information that did not have the information to produce one beforehand?

Indeed.

17. #17 Sam_Spade, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
    That's different from evolution how? It's all just changes in allele frequency within a population.

Yes. A Dog doesn't do that.

A reproductive population which changes through descent ovemultiple generations does. See how that is different from a dog? Do you see how the fore is a misnomer?

Speciation is essential in defining distinct reproductive populations where genetic drift can occur.

This is like understanding what a square is, but arguing against rectangles. Listen, I know we had this conversation, but our interactions seem to follow a trend. It often seems that I am needing to explain basic conceptual underpinnings to you and having to having deliberately draw the dots between them. Why is it that you have such difficulty organizing new ideas and connecting them?

That's not what speciation is. :confused:

I can't seem to find any photos of the elusive Sahara Bear.

Enjoy!

18. I saw this bumpersticker yesterday...gave me a good laugh. :D

[​IMG]

19. [quote name='"dishin reg"']
    Yes there is evidence for evolution, but there is also evidence against it.[/quote]

since when? I have never heard of there being any evidence that goes against evolution. I find it funny in your other post when asked by another person you just say "indeed"
    Is there a link you can provide that has true, real, research, funding, and non-falsified evidence?
    I highly doubt it

20. [quote name='"Endless Rain"']

since when? I have never heard of there being any evidence that goes against evolution. I find it funny in your other post when asked by another person you just say "indeed"
    Is there a link you can provide that has true, real, research, funding, and non-falsified evidence?
    I highly doubt it[/quote]

Yes I would also like to see anti evolution evidence.

Oh wait I know. They took genesniut of a cell and killed it. LOL.

I cut a chickens head off once. I guess that.proves a chicken can't have evolved from something without a head