Bill Maher attacks religious people

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dronetek, May 17, 2010.

1. wow.... what an ironic post... that's exactly how most rational people feel about ALL religions and religious people:rolleyes:

2. So your saying the majority of humans on this earth are irrational? That sucks....

3. Yes, the vast majority of religions, and the people who truly believe them and their scriptures verbatim, are irrational.

You can scorn Mormons for believing that Native Americans are descended from evil ancient Semitic peoples, but I think you are just as much a loon for believing in a magical zombie who's mom got knocked up by G-d.

EDIT: Interesting logic here (majority acceptance -> truth). So when we all believed the universe was geocentric, that was right due to the fact that the majority believed it? Mmmmmhmmmmmm.

4. Lmfao yea... that's exactly what I am saying... wake up

5. Homosexuals have always had homosexual relations with other post-pubescent males. That is the definition of homosexual activity, afterall.

6. Whats the point? Everyone else will still be irrational even if I "wake up". You by your own accord are doomed being the sole rational person in a sea if irrational fools.....

7. Believe what you want to believe, I don't give a FUCK. :wave:

8. #88 Lionel Hutz, May 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2010
    You obviously do.

How could you not care that you are surrounded and outnumbered by irrational people at an overwhelming ratio?

9. I don't know what point you were trying to make, perhaps you could explain it. It seemed you were just showing off your ignorance and bigotry for everyone on the forums to see while repeating standard new atheist talking points that are the intellectual version of "LALALA I CANT HEAR YOU."

You seem to be a big fan of listing bad things done by people, but not very good at making a coherent point. Which seems to change every time you are challenged on that. So, what exactly is the point you are trying to make?

10. Eh, what can you do. Everyone in the world is retarded, cest la vie.

11. Think of the burden he must carry? To be the only enlightened one in a sea of madness, one of only the few to have ever discovered the REAL truth of New Atheism, talking points, and refusing to listen to replies or trying to understand complicated topics.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Of course, we are the lunatics that point out that the only thing these individuals have discovered is their own ego, and that all they've done is built a system of religious-style justification that just conveniently happens to justify everything they do and believe, and condemn everyone else who isn't exactly like them?

The great irony, of course, is that they then proceed to call themselves "Brights."

12. all I hear from you is Baaaaaaaahhhhhh , go follow your herd like a good little sheep

13. Love Bill Maher. This thread turned into a childish argument as all religious threads do. :rolleyes:

14. ...Did you look at the quote that I had in that post you responded to?

I was responding to Dronetek's assertion that Christianity doesn't contribute negatively to the world in the modern age. I listed negative acts committed out of religion by Christianity.

You took my bit about the sex scandals in the Catholic church and their cover ups of it and went on a completely different point that had no relevance to the fact that the Church has led to many boys being molested and that they subsequently have protected pedophiles (instead, and quite irrelevant to the point, you went on how gays did it, which again, is completely irrelevant, and I mean there is more wrong with that but I just don't care at this point to defend homosexuality anymore).

I am not even an atheist, so how are you getting to that? All I did was say 'No, Dronetek, Christianity has blood on its hands too', and you completely warped my point.

What ignorance was there in my point that when the Church helps pedophiles cover up for their crimes, it is their fault, and thus a blemish on Christianity that Dronetek claims doesn't exist?

You're just making ad hominem attacks that hold NO RELEVANCE AT ALL...to anything. So I'll just say please stfu.

15. Surely the masterstroke victory phrase in the war of ideas.

I don't know how to even respond to such a deep and nuanced statement.

16. No matter how deep or nuanced I get, nothing I say will change your socially conditioned world view.. so fuck it :smoking:

17. #97 Sir Elliot, May 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2010

And please, by what possible metric, could you measure if a religion is doing more harm than good?

All you are doing is asserting your desire to attack as if it were a fact.

And I further contend that the facts you listed are actually inmaterial to your bigotted views. Before the current wave of sex-abuse fear mongering in the MSM, the MSM and secular liberal luminaries were calling for the Church to finally give up the whole morality thing, abandoned all their old beliefs, and conform totally to the modern culture as approved by the NYTs.

In the wake of the recent fear mongering, but this time for the children the exact same demands are made. If the same demands were made before the new information, and are being made after the new information, it's only ration to conclude the new information has not a thing to do with the demands being made. Instead of the NYTs, the secular liberal elite, etc, are exploiting the tragic abuse of children for their own personal and cultural gain.

Which is quite disgusting, and which is why you yourself should be ashamed to participate in such bigotted behavior.

18. I haven't read through the thread so I'm sorry if someone said this, but...
    I thought we already figured out that extremists of any kind fuck shit up. It's up to us moderates to show them the error of their ways, and if they refuse to see we'll kill them.

19. Erm, I do not agree. Being a "moderate" means simply having no principles and not standing for anything at all.

It is a certain type of extreme (the left) that ruins whatever it touches. The other extreme (the right, freedom, the founding fathers, the vision they laid out) represents the most successful and prosperous nation in the history of the world.

Thus the left constantly pretends to be moderate while accusing everyone else of being an extremist. The left's concept of moderation is "just agree with me on everything and give me power."

Moderation is not the solution, it is the problem.

20. For the first bit, I don't think you can measure. I wasn't trying to do that. I was just trying to show that Christians aren't completely innocent, which Dronetek stated. I disregard most religions as barbaric, especially the Abrahamic ones, and I would never try to compare them, because I think all of them have people that commit fucked up acts in their name. Dronetek is not of that belief, and I wasn't listing those acts to attack Christianity, for I know that Jews and Muslims have done plenty of wrongs too, but to show, as I stated all along, that it isn't completely pure.

How are my views bigoted when everything I've expressed says that I don't believe any religion is impervious to being corrupted by it's followers? I'm not even going on anymore because you aren't even reading what I write, just trying to warp me out to be some evil lib atheist that wants to slander Christianity while patting Hamas on the back every time they send a Qassam to Sderot. That's simply not true and you are just putting words in my mouth. Congratulations, you argue like a child.