Bill Maher attacks religious people

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dronetek, May 17, 2010.

1. nuh uh. u r

And how pray tell are you going to prove me 100% wrong. Wait... let me rock a bowl... this should be REAL good :eek::smoking:

No, I'm a firm believer. I don't really go to church that much, and I sin my ass off but I believe and I ask God for forgiveness and help. If you met me in real life i probably wouldn't talk about religion because it always sparks heated arguments (however - isn't that the point of an internet politics forum?). One of my best friends is an Atheist and I have another good friend who practices Orthodox Judaism. We all respect each other's choices and beliefs.

Coincidentally I posted this just yesterday.

2. Nope. I've already covered this to an extent in early posts. Getting a little tired of repeating myself... I don't even know how I got to be the prime defender of Christianity but it's fucking exhausting....

3. Jesus Christ was KILLED because of religion.

4. Yep. Slam dunk. Case closed.

5. I thought it's because he claimed to be King of the Jews?

edit: thanks google

"And they began to accuse him, saying, "We have found this man subverting our nation. He opposes payment of taxes to Caesar and claims to be Christ, a king."
    Luke 23:2

6. LOL in your fantasy bible world it would be.

Read the bible christian boy. There is more death and destruction than anything else. If u believe in the bible and the word of god than u MUST believe that your faith is worth dying for, and maybe killing for?

7. It had nothing to do with him claiming to be the son of god?

Hrmmm way to pick and choose quotes.

8. Really??

Because I live in the south (the bible belt) and every single day I have someone try and save me, even just walking around on a school campus, I can't buy alcohol on a sunday, or even go to a bar (they're all legally obligated to close), if I'm doing something illegal (to anything as simple as speeding) the fines and penalities are doubled if you're within 100 yards of a church (and only a christian one).

Religious fundamentalism is hard to notice if you live so far away from it.

9. Islamic terrorists would still be terrorists if Islam didn't exist. Their religion serves as a catalyst, and a tool to justify their actions, but it's socio-economic issues that drives people to act out in name of their religion.

You have to be pretty desperate to strap a bomb around your waist and blow up a marketplace, you're not doing it if your life is worth living. Lots of the people who blow themselves up in Gaza/Palestine/Israel are disaffected, poverty stricken young adult males who have nothing going for them, and a deep rooted hatred for anyone and anything that may have contributed to their fates. Islam promises a place in heaven, eternal glory, and virgins to fuck if you end your shitty life on this earth and blow up some people you don't even like in the first place.

Not that their lot in life justifies killing people, but they're not animals y'know. If they were just as devout but living in a nice house with all of their family still intact and good prospects for the future, I doubt they would turn to suicide bombing. Religion isn't the only factor here.

I just realized the thread isn't about ^ anymore. Ah well :cool:

10. I had 2 young girls come to my house just last week trying to get me to come down to their church "just to listen" I declined, and they offered to do chores around my house!! When I declined again they simply would NOT leave my doorstep. I was polite as possible, but had to close the door while they where still standing there. They where liek trying to guilt me into listening to them more. It was a awkward situation.

11. My fantasy bible world? WTF?

I have.

You're grasping at straws

12. So your blaming "religion" for inspiring people to want to live a certain way? If the Majority of voters want bars to be closed on Sundays - your kind of at the mercy of the society you live in, aren't you? And of course - you always have the FREEDOM to move to a less pious area/state.

13. Religion, like money or a screwdriver, is a tool.

It can be used, or it can be abused.

14. #54 Jamayah, May 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2010
    Listen, my original reply was to Dronetek and you inserted yourself into my argument and beef with him for this thread and others. But you should try to walk in the shoes of a minority religion for a couple days. I don't want special rights I want equal rights, and that lame argument that anyone who speaks out for equality is suddenly wanting "special rights" is just silly.

I never asked for anything special, except for Christians (and all religions even though we're only talking about this one) to stop shoving their faith down my throat. Your answer is to call me a whiny crybaby and then tell me I have the choice of leaving or just ignoring it. When I call you out on that, you say hey I didn't mean it that way....when we all know you did...why else would you say that?

Holidays aren't important to me really, it's just one example of the pervasive push toward one state religion, which is what the Christians want. I have heard many many people say this is a christian nation. That is inherently excluding everyone who is not christian. That is wrong. Just like saying America is a white nation....no it's not. Personally I'm agnostic, I don't give a rats ass either way. But I am sick and tired of people who think it's ok to act like because they have faith they are more moral than I am, because it is BS.

Lastly, of course you don't want to play the what if game. You don't have to make those suppositions in order to envision a world where someone else is on top, but I'm not surprised at your lack willingness to see it from the view of someone who isn't a christian. It's typical and expected. I am also not surprised that you try to diminish my views, that's another typical response, make fun, call names, and go on and on about little things instead of the real points I was trying to make.

Perhaps I sounded pissed off today, I generally try not to be too emotional, but I've got a 102 temperature and they guy at my door yesterday did piss me off with his smugness. Dragging me out of bed with repeated ringing my doorbell and pounding on my door like it was a f'n emergency. I'm right though :p And I'm tired of people acting like challenging the status quo is unamerican, sometimes things are wrong and need to be made right.

15. Nope. What I'm saying is that we all have to deal with stuff that annoys us. I could make the argument that I'm sick of "athiesm" being shoved down my throat. So yes, to a certain extent - we need to stop crying over spilled milk..

It's not that I'm scared to play it. It's just a waste of time.

I responded to each on of your points specifically and effectively. Sorry if you don't like my opinion but that doesn't change the fact that I'm entitled to it.

Well, I'm sorry that you had a bad day and that the Momos/ Jehovas witnesses are annoying and incredibly persistent. Personally - I don't really try to thrust my religion on others - but I will stand up for what I believe in and defend Christianity when it is attacked by those who know little or nothing about what it's really all about.

16. And so are u. :)

17. Whoever gets the shortest straw loses. :D

18. It's hard to say that religion possesses NO responsibility for people's actions.

There would be no vile religion-associated violence if religion didn't exist.

19. There would be no vile religion-associated violence if humans did not exist.

20. U would argue that gravity doesnt exist wouldnt u?

Seriously?

Thats the most ridiculous response I have ever seen. It doesnt surprise me one bit though.