Bill C-51, the bill that would make an alias online a criminal offence in CANADA

Discussion in 'General' started by dawnofwar, Aug 11, 2011.

1. When I read this, this got my fucking goat going, and it got it going good.
    Make it a criminal activity to use an online alias? This is just fucking retarded. You can't police a series of virtual tubes dumb asses. Well you can but then you would be violating on of the human rights. The right to free speech.

Go fuck yourself Canada. I'm going to be protesting the shit out of this when I get back from my vacations. This is just appalling.
    As for the bold, your fucking kidding me?! Now the police and authority figures can read what I type without my permission? Man that is just retarded.

Legislative Summary of Bill C-51: Investigative Powers for the 21st Century Act

Meet the new Bill C-51

2. I understand that if this bill is put into place it will be used to prevent criminal activity, but I mean seriously. The people who use the internet to prey on individuals are assholes, and the individuals they are preying on don't know how to use the internet. They are playing on complete idiots with the net. Teach the people how to use the internet safely, not fucking take away our privacy because there are a few assholes out there that are praying on tards with the internet. I know how to use the internet and didn't suffer any problems. Even when I was 8 years old on the internet I never suffered any problems because my parents instructed me on the proper way to use, and had the proper safety measures in place. I mean seriously people, are you that retarded that you need to risk your privacy online that way a person won't scam you? Or trick you into meeting them in real life for bad reasons?

3. #3 BUDDAMUNK, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2011
    Well, looks like I wont be posting here anymore, peace! :bolt::bolt:

EDIT: Wait, isn't this only if you're harassing someone or doing something illegal? I don't think they made it a criminal offense to just be posting on a forum.

4. I too am going to protest this.

I'm tired of my country trying to implement laws and policies that infringe on our freedoms. As if big telecom corporations don't charge us enough for internet/wireless access, now there's this?

All I can say, is be vigilant, and use your own discretion when communicating online. You should be able to tell if any online relationships you're engaging in are progressing at a pace you're uncomfortable with. Especially when the person on the other end of the communications is the one pressing you for details (age, sex, location, interests, possibilities of meeting up for whatever reasons).

The government doesn't need to hold our hands during a matter like this. Might as well lobotomize yourself and hand a sloppy chunk of your frontal lobe over to them too. "Don't worry", they'll say: "Your brain tissue is being used to help people who are in dire need of a brain transplant. You're making the right decision."

Just another attempt to have more control and power than we already give them.

5. Nope, it's in general from my understanding. But I could be wrong.

^ This man. You shouldn't be stupid enough to get fooled by people on the net. If you have been, then I'm sorry, but your stupid. The internet is extremely easy to use, and incredibly easy to use safely without any harm. You just can't be a complete and udder idiot. To me, this bill is clearly, 100% intended to silence your voice. They are just making it look like they are doing some good and "helping" out the people.

6. Am I the only one who didn't understand a word of that bill? Why can't they make these things understandable?!

7. Are you technologically impaired? I'm not being mean a genuine question. If so I can breakdown the key points of the bill for you.

1)enabling police to identify all the network nodes and jurisdictions involved in the transmission of data and trace the communications back to a suspect. Judicial authorizations would be required to obtain transmission data, which provides information on the routing but does not include the content of a private communication;

This is basically them being allowed to intercept your network. AKA spy on all date being sent over the network. IE credit card info, your conversation with your boyfriend, etc.... However they won't be allowed to intercept info that provides data on how they are routing their internet. Basically your router AKA wifi info, which funny enough (in most situations,) would be of no use to them.

2) requiring a telecommunications service provider to temporarily keep data so that it is not lost or deleted in the time it takes law enforcement agencies to return with a search warrant or production order to obtain it;
    making it illegal to possess a computer virus for the purposes of committing an offence of mischief; and enhancing international cooperation to help in investigating and prosecuting crime that goes beyond Canada’s borders.

This mean the companies (ISP's,) will be required to keep the data about what you search, what websites you visit, what you download, all that for a certain amount of time.

8. Political language has debased the entire English language. They don't want you to understand. At least, not upon first glance. Which is all people will give the bill. A once-over. And then the government will go ahead and proceed with its initiatives, usually under the guise of attempting to alleviate social 'problems'.

Power relations are not static. The control that comes from having or being in power is always up for grabs. People would do well to realize that things don't have to act or function the way they do, and that if everyone stood up for themselves and didn't let a group of 'officials' represent their interests (or claim to represent them that is), then 'society' (as much as I hate using this term generally) could be whatever we want it to be. I mean, no one knows how to articulate EXACTLY how they want their lives to unfold, but it's something everyone can work towards if we truly DESIRE change. We do have a say. So say, "HEY!"

"He knows that changes aren't permanent... but CHANGE is."

9. Well this is some good news atleast!!!
    LEGISinfo - Results
    On the website they have the progress status of it, and it is the lowest out of all the available boxes. That gives plenty of time to make the general public very aware of this, and the implications that this will have. Don't forget this will effect EVERYONE.

10. #10 Wet Horse Lips, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2011
    Also, check this guy out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drfjOumyFrw]Viktor Mayer-Schönberger on Memory in the Digital Age - YouTube[/ame]

His book is interesting. Granted, I've only read his introduction and the first chapter since it was a reading for my coursework, but... what he's saying is important and is entirely relevant to this bill.