Bikers! Single speed or Multi speed?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by BobbyBlaze, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Defend your answer.
    :smoke:

2. 6 speed. I'm faster off the line.

3. My Bmx only came with one gear :confused:

OH, you mean fixies :rolleyes:

I dont care if people want to ride fixies, they can preach to me about how their riding style is "more in tune" with the bike, and "one with the road" in the pub; sure i can dig it.
    I'm a huge fan of bobbers, early style (motor) bikes that cut down on the excess weight through removing superfluous crap, and i can see the same priciples behind fixies....

If want to use a bright coloured neon fixie to get attention, that clearly has a freewheeling hub tho, your nothing but a Hipster poser ;)

4. If it has a freewheel, then it isn't a fixie. Mine is in stealthy all black :devious:

5. I have no idea whether or not this was directed at Motorcycle Riders or Cyclists... then again, I've never heard of a Single Speed Motorcycle, so...

:p

I ride an XC Mountain Bike, so having multiple gears is nearly a requirement when facing the Rockies.

I've been looking into getting a Fixie for both bobbing around town and getting my legs back into shape, however it will have at least a front brake. I've gone down on a Brakeless Fixie before, and have since grown a bit of an aversion to them.

6. I've got an old Fuji S10-S 12 speed. Old and junky but I love it.

What's the big deal with fixed gear bikes anyways? seems like it would just be a hassle but I don't really know anything about them. enlighten me

7. One Speed. It's better for putting in more effort. I do trails and hills, everything in my BMX and my legs have become tanked. It's easier in my opinion, its just so much more free and ride-able...

I ride BMX and MB's, but I been riding Bmx's since I knew how to disregard training wheels! Loved it, Will always love it.

8. #9 BobbyBlaze, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2010
    That would be the exact thing I was thinking when making this thread.
    I personally ride a mountain bike around town, I couldn't even imagine riding a 'fixie' up hill.

I mean if you're trying to get in shape, I guess, but as far as efficiency goes the only thing I can see better about fixies is their overall weight.

Am I wrong?

9. It definitely can be ALOT harder on big hills, but I live in Michigan, where there aren't many big hills. Getting up smaller hills is pretty easy though, with all the extra momentum you have from having your drivetrain being fixed to your rear cog.

10. Fixies have a 'fixed' hub, meaning that the rear wheels cog can not coast.

go to Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information for more info

11. 7 speed, the geometry on my frame isn't quite favorable to hills, and I think 7 is just enough.

12. I just ride my mountain bike around town. She gets me places, and does it in style. I've had this thing since grade 6.

[​IMG]

Also remember, there IS a difference between "single speed" and "fixies". Single speed's have only one rear cog but can coast when not peddling. A fixie, although bearing a single rear cog itself, is unable to coast. You peddle forwards: you go forwards. Peddle backwards: guess which way you're going?

13. BUMP.
    I'm planning on going to the bike shop on Sunday, to get a bike that would ultimately replace my car (to save money).
    I still don't really know if I should get a single speed, fixie, or multi speed.

I'm sure the people at the shop have some insight, but they might just pull the 'It's personal preference' on me.

14. Fixie, only with a flip flop hub though. I tend to ride more single speed in town, it gets kinda scary in traffic on a fixie, no real way to stop in an emergency besides bail :rolleyes:.

15. if you got hills, get gears.

IMO, I think the answer is to have lots and lots of different bikes.

16. Multi speed of course, always comes in handy..

I ride this (got my 10dollar bike to ride around town, this one for mountainbiking)

17. Fixed speed= de-evolution. What are the advantages? really none. IMHO they are for hipsters that want to be trendy, at least, everyone that I know that has one is a hipster and walks around talking about how green and environmentally concious they are, which is beyond annoying.

Why doesn't anyone make a car with one speed? Because it's stupid, and defeats the purpose of advancing the technology in the first place.

18. If you're doing any serious riding, you gotta have gears. I have Specialized and Trek bicycles. But, being a former bike messenger, fixies are fun to tool around on.

19. If you are serious about using a bike for commuting a multi speed is the only way to go....I was in the US Navy for 20 yrs, my bike went all over the world with me.