Biggest Scam... Pain In The Ass

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Jedi Whitesmoke, Aug 17, 2011.

1. My girlfriend got a call on her --> cell phone <-- yesterday morning at around 10:30 AM in the MORNING. The caller, from South Carolina, did not introduce herself. Just told my girlfriend that she was letting her know ahead of time for the $39.95 payments she'd be paying for the next eight months. After a few minutes of outrage (mostly on my girlfriend's part), I eventually talked her into handing me the cell phone. I politely introduced myself, with no introduction from the caller. She only told me she was the supervisor of the "place" that I was speaking with. She explained to me that we had been signed up, through some extreme promotional deal, for these magazines, which the company had already paid to be brought in for us. How this company received our card information, I'll never know. We hate telemarketing schemes and "promotional" offers. I proceeded to ask this woman if she would cancel the magazines. She informed me she couldn't, that the company had already spent money for the magazines. I then told her that we were cancelling all of our cards, and claiming fraud. At this point, I could her a waver in her voice as she asked "why fraud?". I bluntly told her, for the third or fourth time, that we had not done this, nor ever given out our card information. She then told me that my girlfriend would be directly billed for these magazines. I was fuming now, so I demanded the name of the company. She told me "W.R.S." probably three times, until she finally blurted out "Western Regional Services". She hung up when I asked for her name.

My girlfriend called her bank, explained what had happened, and cancelled the cards. But there was one problem: on our empty debit card, five dollars had been deducted from the barren Checking Account... which put us in the red. She completed the call, and in a last ditch effort, I called the company in South Carolina back.

I man answered this time on a customer support line. His name was Mike. I thoroughly explained exactly what had happened, and to my relief and astonishment, he actually helped me. He told me that what the other woman had said was complete bullshit, and that the five dollar hole in the Checking Account was to make sure the card/account was currently active. He said it would be refunded in seventy-two hours and that he would take her cell phone off of their calling list. He is the first intelligent, genuinely nice customer support team member for a scam company I have ever spoken to.

In short, it was a fucked up morning. So I got really baked. :smoking:

2. yeah usually when you tell companies like that to "fuck off" you can get some things straight. why the fuss if it was all fixed?

3. yea i find cursing them out usually makes for the most fun

4. i just had a random number from upstate south carolina call me like an hour ago, im about to call them back now and see if its some of these fuckers.

5. I try selling them something when they call me. Or I try to get them to give me a donation.

They take way too much time to catch on, making me think all telemarketers are stoned/brain dead/ can't speak english.

6. I'll start selling some stuff too when a company calls me then :devious:

7. (But they haven't called very often since my dad said : "HEY WE DON'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK! STOP FUCKING DISTURBING US WHEN WE'RE EATING SUPPER! WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU CALLING FROM WITH YOUR ACCENT? INDIA? I'M FUCKING FED UP WITH YOUR SHIT! PUT US ON YOUR BLACK LIST!!!")

8. Sounds like Mike is in on the scam, and at this point was just trying to defuse the situation, so that you would not take this any further.

I used to sell rare coins in the 80's, we used to bill customers and then send them coins all the time that they didn't order, 9 out of 10 times they didn't say a word and just accepted the coins, the 1 out of 10 people who complains we just defused the situation just like mike did.

That business lasted about 8 years before the owner was indicted in 1991 on mail fraud and wire fraud, and he had ties to Joseph Juliano Aka Sonny -- a captain from the Gambino crime family.

It was different back then, we would only bang the cards of previous clients, so when they got the coins, 90% of them thought they just ordered them and forgot, so they just gladly accepted the coins..

These days, you can buy someones full credit card information for as little as $1.00 - $5.00 depending on whether it is a silver/gold/platinum or business card because the spending limit differs.

I have been a victim of identity theft twice myself.

9. Threats and cussing works 4 me

10. Jeez. Those cellphone ads are the worst. I got a call from Connecticut saying that I was late on my mortgage payments. I don't pay a mortgage and I don't live in Connecticut.

11. When fuckign telemarketers call i act like a mentally retarted person or an insane person. They wont deal with either of that.

They hear one of two things when i answer.

Duurr rheloo?

or SHUT UP BITCH BEFORE I TIE YOU UP AGAIN THERES A PHONE CALL! Hello?

12. Dude. Everything you say, I can imagine Kramer saying, and that just makes it hilarious. Just saying lol. Especially the above^

It's good you took care of it though. I assume most scammers are just looking to prey on feeble minded, dumb people, and won't mess with the people who will actually put up a fight.

13. This. The guy probably was trying to defuse the situation. Definitely keep an eye on your checking account and any suspicious deductions. Give your bank a heads up as well.

14. Crying of laughter:D

15. When i was 13 i almost got a phone solicitor to buy one of my vacuums lol

16. Happened to me a couple months ago, except they were telling me that I still owed money on my car. They shut up pretty quick when I told them that that 2006 Jetta they claimed I owed 5 more payments on had been bought with cash and I had owned it outright for the past 2 years, and if they wanted to get froggy I would be perfectly happy to go to any court in the land with a copy of my title and bill of sale, and they could get nailed for fraud, and that fucking with a paralegal was probably a very bad idea.