Big tobacco makes a move into big cannabis.

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by A guy, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Is this something everyone is just going to accept? They sat around and waited for the little guys to fight the big fight, then came swooping in with big money. Cannabis will become the next soybean in the US. All genetically modified and all the rights to big business. Horde your seeds people, when I read this I was actually crushed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. This is the obvious result. Most of us have seen this coming all along.
    These are the folks who poisoned our tobacco to keep us addicted, and marketed to young people to get them addicted to their product early.
    I'm expecting weed to become addictive in the future as the landscape gradually evolves. 40 years?
    Seedless oranges, seedless watermelon, sterile seeds, .......seedless, bug resistant, giant bud weed. Phillip Morris will own the rights. Also conveniently sold in prerolled packs in the tobacco isle.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. with all the moral issues surrounding illegal cannabis @ least it kept the [plant out of the hands of Big Chem Rule The World Boys

4. Interested to see how this all pans out...

5. I remember my early weed years hearing the rumor that Marlboro owned a patent on a pre-rolled cannabis cigarette. I'm sure that was just stoner rumors but it was certainly a view of things to come, apparently.

I'm honestly not worried about seeds becoming scarce or more heavily controlled. Hell, you can buy quite a variety of tobacco seeds, heirloom or hybridized, and we've seen the rise and fall of big tobacco.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. I think I watched a documentary or something, but at one time England had outlawed the possession of tobacco seeds. Just as they attempted to monopolize and control everything else in the world. Some early settler to the Americas smuggled a handful of seeds and started his own crop.

I don't expect outlawing seeds will be effective, but I don't rule out a team of crackshot lawyers to spin that concept someway to their industrial advantage.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah Marlboro didn’t do enough damage in America gotta bounce to Canada to try to get into the industry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yay bitch

(A wandering goat told me this more than once).

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Oh they'll be doing the same in the USA as soon as it's legal at the Fed level.

10. I really don't believe that because big money is getting involved in cannabis, we're all going to get hosed out of the great, pure plant that to this point, we've developed into what it is now.

I like the way Ed Rosenthal put it.
    I'm paraphrasing,
    He called it the Tomato Model.
    Tomatoes are one of the largest commercial crops.
    Yet today we can buy mass produced canned or fresh in the grocery store.
    We can get heirloom and organic varieties at any farmers market and most groceries carry them now too.
    And we all have benefited from our own and neighbors gardens.
    Philip Morris and Monsanto aren't going to be providing me with what I want any time soon. We all have natural seed stock of many, many varieties available to us and we as consumers have choices open to us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I’ll stick to growing my own if I do buy I buy from local farms Oregon has to many local growers trying to get their product in dispensaries but luckily oregon has high standards when providing clean product to the consumer.

12. Welp any true stoner should start buying seeds as much as humanly possible as soon as possible.

Also keep some mothers if ya can. And breed breed breed the plants. Not yourself mind you, we have enough humans. :laughing:

All jokes aside this isn't a problem for the growing community if some keep breeding underground. I will definitely even in a apartment. I gotta a plan to keep organic cannabis around me and this area for good.

13. Their experience in keeping a highly addicting product on the market with little regulation was very successful, until fairly recently. I can envision them lobbying Congress to disallow home grows (like beer brewing was until the 1970's). That is my only fear with Phillip Morris getting into the business. It isn't the squeezing out the small producer, it is the squeezing out of homegrown competition.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Another option.

And, as usual............ buy up all the little guys and consolidate.

Monsanto

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. How heavily regulated are tomatoes?

16. Yeah I'm pickin up what you're puttin down.
    Here's the thing though, nobody regulates what I do in my garden.
    I make my own seeds for 99% of what I grow.
    I make the soil that i grow in.
    I try to stay away from bottled fertilizers.
    And as long as there's people like me around there will always be heirloom varieties.
    As I stated before, we all have choices available.
    I choose to no longer smoke a pack and a half a day.
    Philip Morris can blow me.
    I'm currently nursing my father through his last days on this earth.
    He's a lifelong smoker.
    78 years old. Some would say he's lived a long life.
    His mother is 101. Still with us.
    His father lived to 98.
    I have to think that without tobacco in his life he'd live another 20 years.
    I wouldn't be giving him Ativan and morphine every 2 hours and changing his diapers.
    We as human being have choices. I won't have mine being made by some multi national conglomerate. Nobody regulates my garden.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. As long as everything goes well enough that nothing happens to your seed supply.
    Fire, flood, earthquake, tornado, accident, incarceration.........
    But you got a point, everybody won't go down at the same time, so there will still be a few places to get the seeds you want. And then..... within that market niche, like anything else of rarity or value, you'll need to weed out the counterfeits. Can you tell one seed from another?
    The Magic 8 Ball is in the shop, so I'm just shoot'n ducks, here. :popcorn:
    I may not see much or any of this in my lifetime. IDK?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. I think Altria will corner the mass produce market, but there will always be a market for good quality organic growers. Think of tomatoes now. You can get the mass produced tomato at the super market, or you can get a really good organic tomato grown by you or a friend. Craft beer - lots of good stuff out there, but the best stuff comes from home brewers.

What we need to guard against is Altria lobbying against the small or home grower. We know they will wipe out their "mass production" competition. Let's hope they don't see the home grower and little organic guy as competition.