Big Sativa, Little Grow Room

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Jay Stranger, Sep 13, 2017.

1. #1 Jay Stranger, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Strain: Unknown Sativa

Medium: Backyard dirt, sawdust, mulch, and catfish guts in a 5 gallon bucket w/drainage

Enclosure: 27x27x63 (5 SQ ft)

Ventilation: 100 CFM VentTech hooked up to a window AC intake, 200 CFM VentTech exhaust

Lighting: 300W Mars Hydro (full spectrum, non switchable)
    300W Kingbo (full spectrum, switchable)
    45W Kingbo (full spectrum, side panel)

Nutrients: FF Bembe and Unsulphured Molasses (no fertilizers given during veg)

Hi everybody, new to Grasscity, moderate growing experience. I grew under CFL's for a while but gave it up because of temperature issues and low yields. My first post on Grasscity is going to be somewhat comical. In May when I planted my garden I planted a bag seed in a 5 gallon bucket with dirt from my backyard, some composted fish guts, and some mulch, not really expecting much. By July I had to crop the top so it wouldn't grow over the fence, and by Mid-August it was budding so prolifically that I became paranoid about having it outside and made a modest investment into a new LED setup. I bought a 27x27x63 grow tent, knowing it wasn't really tall enough but it's all I have space for and the tallest I could find with that width and length (5 SQ feet) I bought a Mars Hydro 300W for a main light and a Kingbo 45W with IR/UV for a side light. This obviously is a big change from my days trying to grow with CFL's, they're so bright I can't even figure out how to get a good pic. I have 100 CFM in, 200 CFM out and temperatures are steady around 75F. She's about 3-4 weeks into flower, I'm feeding her nothing but FF Bembe and Unsulphured Molasses. I fully realise that having the branches reaching up past the light is not ideal but like I said, it was the best I could do. I've been working on training the upper branches down and the lower branches in as much as I can, already broke one but I made a splint for it and it healed literally overnight. After this I plan on growing Pineapple Chunk.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. You are really going to sacrifice yield by bringing it in out of the sun to finish and putting it under very weak lighting after having the sun as your light source. Better light during flower, meaning best greatest wattage and quality of light, will get you the biggest best buds. Light is the most important element in the indoor grow. Light it up the best you can for rest of cycle to get the most you can. Chalk it up to circumstances beyond your control. Lol. But that light is only gonna support one or two plants max. Trying to flower too many under one lamp lessens yield. TWW

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 Jay Stranger, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    How much more light would you recommend in a 5 SQ ft area? I'm planning on getting 2 more of the 45's for either side and I will only be growing one plant at a time. She was only getting maybe 6 hours full sun outside, and I know that nothing compares to the sun but I cannot leave it outside any longer.

Sent from my XT1565 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. I'm new to LED's but I was under the impression that my 300W LED was equivalent to a 150W HID. In a 5 SQ ft grow area that plus the side lighting would still be considered weak? If that's the case I may have to get a 450W or 600W LED as my main light and put the 300W on the side but I'm worried about heat and exceeding the lumens the plant can even utilize without supplemental Co2.

Sent from my XT1565 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  5. I bought another 300W LED, this one is a Kingbo that is switchable between veg and flower. Please tell me I have enough lighting for this and future grows now. Lol

300W Mars Hydro
    300W Kingbo (switchable)
    45W Kingbo (side light)
    27"x27"x63" grow tent (5 SQ feet)

JS

6. #6 Jay Stranger, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    I started a thread in "Indoor Growing" about LED lighting which has answered my questions. I will update this thread weekly with pics, and am eager to start my next journal from seed.

JS

7. #7 Jay Stranger, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Did some pretty extreme training on the upper branches and pruned some of the lower branches. I was able to make the longest upper branches do complete U turns in order to gather them under the light. I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to get away with that if she hadn't been Vegged outside, but if I hadn't Vegged outside I suppose I wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place. Kingbo 300 arrives tomorrow.

JS

8. Added the Kingbo light on it's Bloom setting and tied the branches down another inch or two. It's still not ideal but I'm starting to get a pretty nice canopy of buds.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

JS

9. I know this is a weird situation and not ideal but if anybody could chime in on this I'd appreciate it.

JS

10. Prop the plant pot at an angle from corner to corner and point all the lights in said corner. Front right corner for the pot and lean the buds and shrubery towards the back left corner

Sent from my SM-G900F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. For some reason I stopped receiving notifications on this post. That would have been a good idea but I have harvested this plant and started a new grow. Some of the buds were burnt but I just threw them in the hash bag. I ended up with 3-4 oz of decent buds. Thanks for the advice!

JS