Big Picture Thinking

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by spyder2200, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Me and my friends all get together for a good ole chat every once and awhile. And most people in the group are considered Big Picture people we don't just look at one thing we look at what caused X to happen and try to draw things back to the root problem some people might say that we overanalyze things but if you don't analyze things enough well then you end up producing solutions that aren't sound. Well the other day I was trying to explain some basic concepts to a repair man that had come over to fix something and he just wasn't getting it even though it was his field until I showed him proof of concept which was just really sad but it made me think and this is what I came up with.

I have a theroy that due to the amount of life saving and preventive meds that they give people these days the survival of the fittest can't actualy take place for mankind. But the universe demands balance be applied to all things so instead we have these massive events that end up taking a large number of lives at once. Combine that with stupid people that have jobs that they otherwise shouldn't have, because we all know once a stupid person gets into a position they know they otherwise shouldn't have due to the level of intelligence required for the job they do everything they can to prevent the lose of that job and salery because they know they wont see anything better or would have to work to hard to get to where they are now again. You now have shotty values, ideals, and concepts in places you shouldn't which has directly resulted in a slow down in mankinds advancement instead looking at how more so to go about mankinds entertainment and comfort value. Which will unless otherwise rectified thru mankinds demand for change in our goverments and in turn corporations and then small buisness result in the fall of civilization. As technology advanced our goverments didn't keep up which created a lax enviroment. I'm not saying fight the power I'm saying the system needs a much needed overhaul to be brought up to date with where civilization is currently at and until that happens I don't see us not doomed to repeat a crappy cycle of economic problems and otherwise slow advancement from society, and being forced to continue to watch the pointless lose of human life due to bad info and systems that desperatly need looking over going unnoticed till it's to late. So technicaly by saving people that shouldn't be saved you actualy cause the deaths of people on a greater scale which maintains the balance of survival of the fittest. It is sad though because these things are done because all human life is a gift and if people just took the time to put the right and resposible people into the proper positions think of how many more lives could be saved each year. Think of how much further mankind could advance himself all that potential wasted all those lives lost all so you can have the best iphone, coolest tv, find out what celeb is in rehab instead. On the bigger picture when it's painted out like that for you doesn't seem so great does it? When your kid grows up and there are even less jobs on the market because even more jobs are fully automated what are you going to do? How much further can our system slip before a marshal law is declared to keep the peace because to many people are unemployed and there option is loot or lose it all. It's time to start demanding more of our officials and if they can't produce to demand better officials be the ones to recieve the backing of these big partys and not the ones with the pretty face and no actualy plan in terms of the larger schem of things haveing a plan to stop end or improve one thing is great but there is a little thing called cause and effect you can't do something with out effecting something else as well and generaly speaking these things tend to have a chain effect sometimes not advertised or when they are brought to light people go /shrug I didn't know that would happen.

Idk my logic could be flawed and I actualy went thru this once and deleted then rewrote after like 1/2 so not sure if it all makes sense but I'm pretty sure this falls under philosophy so I'm open to hearing other people and what they think.

What I'm tryn to get at though is much less people die at younger ages wether due to shear stupidity jumping off things you shouldn't/doing things you shouldn't because you think your invincable or jsut strait up diseases and these people join the working and voting force. Now we have an over whelming number of people that would otherwise be dead effecting the flow of society because it is human nature to protect those that are weak. But now these people get into decision making positions and what kind of effect does it really end up having for us? How did we go from a society about trying to constantly make ourselfs better to being focused on entertainment value of everything? How can a goverment that was set up so long ago still truely be the best? Shouldn't it have evolved with time? It seems like it just hasn't kept up and that while the system and basis for it is sound the practice of it is still set up for a society much smaller then it is. We went from stars were cool but there were big time thinkers that were the ones people looked at for guidance and hope for the future to it just seems there are only stars now and everything is pure entertainment sake.

BTW this is mostly from an American stand point as I am not familure with foreign polotics to much.

2. Can we get a tl;dr up in this piece?!

3. The last paragraph with the questions is pretty much a tldr section cuz I covered more then just one thing.

Even shorter Has mans attempt at trying to bypass the theroy of survival of the fittest thru it's constant need to protect the weak had a negative influance on society?

Actualy I proly covered two points 2nd one being is the current way the goverment is set up really achieving what it was meant to when it was first set up? Should it be overhauld in some way to be brought more up to date with the current size of society?

And then I blame everything thats wrong and horrible in the world on those two things generalization but meh thats the jist of it.

4. Haha this I can work with...

I think what you are seeing with your first observation is that evolution is trickier than "survival of the fittest." Genetically speaking, we are evolving faster than normal. This means the "errors" in our genes are adding up more quickly. Perhaps our ability to help lesser physically fit members of our species contribute to society actually improves our ability for these to add up. I don't feel like thinking too deeply into that at the mo.

Anyway, I suppose more to your point is whether that helps or hurts society. Do you think people must be physically robust to contribute to society?

5. I'm not just reffering to people that are less robust but also people that get into accidents that otherwise would have killed them as well. Some of these people got into accidents for being lack of a better word idiots. And due to the continued advances in science people that would have otherwise died live. I myself have never had any reason to get so much as stitches, it's not to say I don't do things that could result in injury I used to be a profesional paintballer for awhile I just make sure to do things in a safe maner. But I never stop running acrose people that by there actions or thru shear lack of common sense can't seem to fathom how they managed to survive as long as they have. In the same sense I can say that I have run into these same people in positions of importance and it makes me wonder what kinds of effects they have had on society while they may have posotive effects in some situations what about some of the countless bad ones they have had as well some we may never know about. Also some of the opertunity's that had limited access to them that these people may have taken up that others no longer had that option open because spaces were full like scholarships or class sizes for firefighters and police officers it makes me wonder with all these recent bad cop cases comeing up in my state. But I guess one could also blame that on how horribly informal getting hired into positions are now letting to many bad seeds slip into positions so to say.

With less to wory about when you grow up has it changed our perception on life and the driving force behind it because of it? People just aren't as patriotic anymore or as caring toward there fellow man people have more of an inward what about me attitued then they used to which has resulted in such an entertainment and self comfort drivin society it makes me question as a whole the direction we are heading as a society I can't say that I think it will lead to a posotive outcome if it continues along the path that it currently is heading. I totaly enjoy what modern medicine has to offer and if anything happened to me I would partake in it's services but has just the mere concept of it and how it effects us on a sub concisse level of less worry totaly been posotive and continue to provide a posotive influance on us?

6. Hitler tried stuff like this

some people liked it

others didn't

Social Darwinism is a fail

Plus babies are morons, they wouldn't survive but an hour on their own so should we bear their burden

7. I was more thinking of updating the public education system to help better produce less idiots. cuz when the gov can't have every position open up for someone with just a high school diploma you are advertising that your way of teaching isint of the highest standard and produces less then great results. But I think you might be on to something wtih this whole killing people that almost died thing. it will be hard to track them down but well get all the medical records around..

Technology is making for dumb people it's turned from a tool to a crutch most of these people that are "idiots" arent dumb by IQ standard they just lack common sense. To much books not enough test of concepts going on in schools these days.

8. ^ not enough books :)

9. Actualy my shelf is covered in books all of which I have read they are all how to books and I continue to teach myself new things every year.

My freshman year of college I taught my Technical drawing class for a semester because my teacher wanted me to drop out of college and get a job and when I told him no place would higher me w/o a degree he put me in charge of the class instead so I would have more of a challange because my grade at that point was above 100.

Also my college Math teacher who was also my Mechanics teacher told me to go home when i walked in for my 2nd final only to tell me in the hall that grading another one of my papers would be a waste of his time because my avg was so high in both classes and my math final came out at an A+ that I was automaticaly getting an A for my mechanics paper.

I will admit I never did anything with english but that was because logicaly it makes no sense to try in that class. Spelling and grammer check take care of that entire waste of time class now. And as for people taht say yeah but what about a speaking enviroment I finished a speaking and debate class with an A avg and my partner who was a strait A english student got a B. Speaking in no way ties into english other then you are speaking english. If you understand the language you don't need to use big words to get a point acrose and you shouldn't because most people are stupid so you will go over there heads. Speaking is about presenting what you want to say in a way people will understand it without overwhelming which will in turn keep there attention. Bonus points if you have a great internal clock and never look at notecards.

English is by default Illogical your in this country you already speak english you would slowly learn the language even if you never took an english class by just hearing it used every day. The only people that need to take that class are people who are going to be a writer. And that is more of a creative art form so yeah.