Big news: UK’s former Drugs and Defence Minister says ‘Legalize and Regulate Drugs’

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Big news: UK's former Drugs and Defence Minister says ‘Legalize and Regulate Drugs'
    DrugWarRant / Pete Guither /12,15,2010

Breaking right now at
    Transform Drug Policy Foundation Blog:
    Bob Ainsworth MP, former Home Office drugs minister and Secretary of State for Defence, will call for the legalisation and regulation of drugs during a Parliamentary debate he is leading in Westminster Hall, at 2.30pm, Thurs 16th December 2010.

Mr Ainsworth said;
    “I have just been reading the Coalition Government's new Drugs Strategy. It is described by the Home Secretary as fundamentally different to what has gone before; it is not. To the extent that it is different, it is potentially harmful because it retreats from the principle of harm reduction, which has been one of the main reasons for the reduction in acquisitive crime in recent years.
    However, prohibition has failed to protect us.

Leaving the drugs market in the hands of criminals causes huge and unnecessary harms to individuals, communities and entire countries, with the poor the hardest hit. We spend billions of pounds without preventing the wide availability of drugs.

It is time to replace our failed war on drugs with a strict system of legal regulation, to make the world a safer, healthier place, especially for our children. We must take the trade away from organised criminals and hand it to the control of doctors and pharmacists.

As drugs minister in the Home Office I saw how prohibition fails to reduce the harm that drugs cause in the UK, fuelling burglaries, gifting the trade to gangsters and increasing HIV infections.

My experience as Defence Secretary, with specific responsibilities in Afghanistan, showed to me that the war on drugs creates the very conditions that perpetuate the illegal trade, while undermining international development and security.

My departure from the front benches gives me the freedom to express my long held view that, whilst it was put in place with the best of intentions, the war on drugs has been nothing short of a disaster.

Politicians and the media need to engage in a genuine and grown up debate about alternatives to prohibition, so that we can build a consensus based on delivering the best outcomes for our children and communities. I call on those on all sides of the debate to support an independent, evidence-based review, exploring all policy options, including:
    further resourcing the war on drugs, decriminalising the possession of drugs, and legally regulating their production and supply.

One way to do this would be an Impact Assessment of the Misuse of Drugs Act in line with the 2002 Home Affairs Select Committee finding – which included David Cameron – for the government to explore alternatives to prohibition, including legal regulation.

The re-legalisation of alcohol in the US after thirteen years of Prohibition was not surrender. It was a pragmatic move based on the government's need to retake control of the illegal trade from violent gangsters. After 50 years of global drug prohibition it is time for governments throughout the world to repeat this shift with currently illegal drugs.”

This is big. Transform has reactions from various leaders to this news:
    Labour's Paul Flynn MP said;
    “This could be a turning point in the failing UK ‘war on drugs.' Bob Ainsworth is the persuasive, respected voice of the many whose views have been silenced by the demands of ministerial office. Every open rational debate concludes that the UK's harsh drugs prohibition has delivered the worst outcomes in Europe – deaths, drug crime and billions of pounds wasted.”
    This follows a series of events in the UK that have been publicly showing a complete disconnect on the part of the government regarding any semblance of rational basis for drug policy.

As an example, check out UKCIA's Dirty political tricks and the membership of the ACMD on the recent attempt on the part of the government in the so-called Police Reform and Social Responsibility Bill.
    Buried in the bill was this inoffensive-sounding language:
    (a) in sub-paragraph (1), omit the words after “appropriate”, and
    (b) omit sub-paragraph (2)
    Here's what that was affecting (italicized part was the portion being cut):
    (1) The members of the Advisory Council, of whom there shall be not less than twenty, shall be appointed by the Secretary of State after consultation with such organisations as he considers appropriate, and shall include-
    (a) in relation to each of the activities specified in sub-paragraph (2) below, at least one person appearing to the Secretary of State to have wide and recent experience of that activity; and
    (b) persons appearing to the Secretary of State to have wide and recent experience of social problems connected with the misuse of drugs.
    (2) The activities referred to in sub-paragraph (1)(a) above are-

(a) the practice of medicine (other than veterinary medicine);
    (b)the practice of dentistry;
    (c) the practice of veterinary medicine;
    (d) the practice of pharmacy;
    (e) the pharmaceutical industry;
    (f) chemistry other than pharmaceutical chemistry.

That's right. In one unpublicized move, eliminating all independent scientific advice to the government regarding drug policy, because the science and truth didn't fit their political agenda regarding drug policy.

This, following
    last year's sacking of government drug advisor David Nutt for telling the truth about drugs, and the recent Lancet study ranking the harms of various drugs and putting alcohol way ahead of crack and heroin.

All of this has put the UK government on very shaky ground regarding drug policy, even though they have remained adamant and stubbornly resistant to facts.

The new blow of the news today from Bob Ainsworth could have major ripples.

Wait until Kerli hears this [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. from BBC News - Ex-minister Bob Ainsworth: Make drugs legally available

Hahah, these people have no idea do they. They continually say the same things despite legalisation REDUCING the availability of drugs to children. They still spout the same monotonous bullshit and everybody believes it all as everyone says "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!".

Laughable and shocking really.

3. Would be great if they had shops for people 18+ to buy weed from. But I guess it won't happen in my lifetime.

4. I just can't see it being legal over here for at least a few generations, there is just so much stupidity with regard to cannabis, 7/10 of the stoner community here still think that Cannabis is the reason for all their issues and will blame it for doing badly at some and think that it will fuck up your brain at least a bit...At least in America the stoner community realises the virtues of cannabis.

5. During the election the now deputy prime minister promised an "evidence based approach to drug policy".

What, as in the overwhelming evidence from Portugal that decriminalization is a more successful policy than locking away drug offenders?

Then again, I don't suppose he knows what keeping his word even means anymore.

6. Legalise all drugs, says former Labour Home Office minister
    TheTelegraph / Christopher Hope / 12,16,2010

A former Labour home office minister will today call for the legalisation of all drugs.

Bob Ainsworth MP, who ran the Home Office's drugs policy between 2001 and 2003, will say that drug trade should be taken away from criminals and handed to doctors and pharmacists.

The sale of drugs would regulated, under Mr Ainsworth's plan, with the most dangerous being proscribed by doctors.
    He told The Daily Telegraph last night: "I am not a libertarian. I don't believe that you should buy heroin on street corners and get yourself zonked out. But we have to treat this as a medical problem."

In speech to MPs today he will give vent to his “long held view” that “the war on drugs has been nothing short of a disaster”.
    In a Westminster Hall debate in the Houses of Parliament today, Mr Ainsworth, who was in charge of drugs policy between June 2001 and June 2003, will say: “Prohibition has failed to protect us.

“Leaving the drugs market in the hands of criminals causes huge and unnecessary harms to individuals, communities and entire countries, with the poor the hardest hit. We spend billions of pounds without preventing the wide availability of drugs. “It is time to replace our failed war on drugs with a strict system of legal regulation, to make the world a safer, healthier place, especially for our children. “We must take the trade away from organised criminals and hand it to the control of doctors and pharmacists.”

Mr Ainsworth, who has represented Coventry North since 1992, will say that his time as defence secretary from June 2009 to May 2010 “showed to me that the war on drugs creates the very conditions that perpetuate the illegal trade". “My departure from the front benches gives me the freedom to express my long held view that, whilst it was put in place with the best of intentions, the war on drugs has been nothing short of a disaster.”

Mr Ainsworth will call for a fresh 'Impact Assessment' of the 1972 Misuse of Drugs Act of the 1972 to weigh up whether the ban on drugs was working. He will add: “The re-legalisation of alcohol in the US after thirteen years of Prohibition was not surrender. It was a pragmatic move based on the Government's need to retake control of the illegal trade from violent gangsters.”

Last night Mr Ainsworth won the support of senior MPs from all parties. Tory MP Peter Lilley MP backed the call for an evidence-based review.
    He said: “The current approach to drugs has been an expensive failure, and for the sake of everyone, and the young in particular, it is time for all politicians to stop using the issue as a political football. “I have long advocated breaking the link between soft and hard drugs – by legalising cannabis while continuing to prohibit hard drugs.” Any review should look at the “pros and cons of the current prohibitionist approach with all the alternatives, including wider decriminalisation, and legal regulation”, he said.

Liberal Democrat MP Tom Brake added: “I support Bob Ainsworth's appeal to end party political point-scoring, and explore sensitively all the options, through an Impact Assessment of the Misuse of Drugs Act.”
    Labour MP Paul Flynn MP said that Mr Ainsworth's comments “could be a turning point in the failing UK ‘war on drugs'.

“Bob Ainsworth is the persuasive, respected voice of the many whose views have been silenced by the demands of ministerial office.”

However last night James Brokenshire, a Home Office minister in charge of crime prevention, said: "Drugs are harmful and ruin lives - legalisation is not the answer.
    "Decriminalisation is a simplistic solution that fails to recognise the complexity of the problem and ignores the serious harm drug taking poses to the individual. "Legalisation fails to address the reasons people misuse drugs in the first place or the misery, cost and lost opportunities that dependence causes individuals, their families and the wider community."

In July, the leader of the country's barristers called for personal drug use to be legalised. Nicholas Green QC, the chairman of the Bar Council for England and Wales, said it was “rational” to consider “decriminalising personal drug use”. Taking such a step would save the economy billions of pounds – drug-related crime costs the economy £13billion a year - free up police time, cut crime and improve public health.

Waiting patiently for Kerli's response to this,now for a reporter with enough balls to ask him.
    [​IMG]

7. ssubscribed in hopes of seeing a response from this "kerli" fellow:p

and i'll be pissed if the EU legalizes before America does lol