Big guy needs advice on weak ankles...

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Gotalighter?, Sep 6, 2012.

1. ok so i am a big guy, 6 foot 5 and weight about 260 lbs ( my doctor called me "dense" i have a low body fat percentage but I am heavy its weird) and i have extremely weak ankles and always have :(, it doesnt help i have a high center of balance and all my weights balanced on them... my whole life iv struggled with rolling them in the dumbest of circumstances.

In the past 5 weeks iv had 3 bad rolls and im lucky to not have fractured or blown my ankles out at this point...

One i was walking on the sidewalk outside a local kfc, an old lady was coming down the sidefwalk with a walker so i stepped off the sidewalk onto the grass to let her by and there was a hole that the grass had grown out of so it was hidden and i rolled my ankle in that :( luckily the old lady helped me get into the kfc and call me a ride ( we shared her walker, seriously she saved me cause i couldnt walk)

And twice now at my job ( i work in a lumber yard, lots of heavy lifting physical labor)
    The first i had finished driving around on a fork lift and thought i heard someone call me, i spun but didnt lift my foot enough and it caught the side of my boot and down i went...luckily there was a forklift nearby so i crawled into that and drove to the first aid room...

And again yesterday, i was helping a customer carry some stuff and he was making it awkward the way he was holding it ( we were holding a double sheet of firewall, its like dry wall but WAYY heavier.) and i couldnt see where i was headed and as i was adjusting to get it i stepped into a dip in the concrete and again rolled it really bad, a co worker had to help get me into the office cause again i couldnt walk...

I need some advice on ways to stabilize and support my ankles ( specifically the right one it takes the majority of the abuse) i have a ankle support but it gets awkward wearing it with my boots and i always have a tensor wrap on it but that doesnt seem to cut it...

Im currently in the works of finding work where im not at risk of injuring my ankles so much ( i applied as a delivery driver for coca cola:) ) but until than im stuck finding a way to cope.

Hooray for losing a day of work to being injured :( spending the day taking dabs and watching tv now.
    At least my works cool and youre paid for days youre injured and it doesnt affect youre sick days :)

any advice on how to support my toothpick ankles without affecting my ability to wear my steel toed work boots?

2. Ice skating may help you build up ankle stregth and awareness.

3. I hate rolling my ankle. Happened running about a week ago.

Maybe work out legs so you aren't as top heavy?

4. Hey man... I know all about weak ankles...Back in 2009 I rolled my ankles on average twice a month and broke my left ankle 3 times in one year. Every time I rolled them I was on flat ground too, so not like I stood in a pot hole or something things have only gotten better thing stuffing my back and making me less mobile haha..... Goddammit I was frustrated, grrrr was I frustrated.

I guess for me, and maybe for you even though you are not "fat", the problem is a weight problem but then you'v probably always been a big fella. I've only become heavy snce about 2007 when I quit smoking pot full time and put on 30kgs in about 2 years.

I have no advice

5. do you regularly exercise?

if not then you should because something simple as to walking a mile or two a day will help build strength in your ankles.

6. i feel your pain man.
    i have weak ankles myself...i blame my dad haha.

i was walking, stepped in a 3-5 inch dip in the ground, bam on crutches for 3 months.
    tore ligaments & shit.

fast forward a few years, playing soccer & i planted my foot a little sideways...
    crutches for 3 more months.
    tore more ligaments.

7. HAHAHAH I have strong ankles.