Big city vs small town

Discussion in 'General' started by RiseAbove7, Dec 13, 2013.

1. #1 RiseAbove7, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
    What do you prefer? What's the pros and cons?

I've been living in a big city for about 5 years now and I'm starting to consider to move back to the small town I grew up in. I hate concrete, all the stressed out people, the masks people put on here, the bad energies and I miss the nature and the greenery where I grew up. Every time I get back into town after a weekend at my family's it seems like all the energies from different people makes my head about to explode. I guess I'm energy sensitive.
    Plus the prices of living is high here, I live in a tiny studio apartment in a very polluted area and don't think I'll be able to afford anything better. In my home town I could get a two bedroom apartment for the same price. Plus I want a cat. lol.

On the other hand... I love the culture here, lot's of different people, concerts, museums, exiting lectures.. I'm an activist and most rallies are being held here.. More of "my kind" of people. I guess weed is easier to come by here too. It's just more going on.

I don't know what to do.. What do you guys prefer and why?

2. Big city. Lived in LA, Miami, SD, Seattle, and now Phoenix

3. I live in a college town, peaceful but boring. But I hate that theres a ton of cops. I'd much rather live in a big city.

4. The mountains...Fuck all this silly shit, they're both equally as terrible.
    And I'm fuckin' stuck here for eternity...Thank fuck I have My People. :cool:

5. #5 fruitality, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    i usd to live in suburban towns and cities up through college.

im not going back to that life until im at least 60 lol.

everything is slow paced and too many people recognize you. amenities are not as convenient and i feel like i dont belong in that kind of 'scene' idk if that makes sense.

edit:

also different cities are very different. im thinking about leaving ny if i could find a job in new orleans or austin texas or some other chill place.

6. I live in a coastal town, 5 miles from Dublin city. Best of both worlds :smoke:

I do love me some fuckin' coastal towns though...Although, I'm sure our two coasts are considerably different...Or do they throw weed at you in the West there too? :cool:

[​IMG]

I live in a very historical area, there are some beautiful walks and lovely places to toke and take in the beauty of the Irish coast. :)

9. There's a lot castles there too, right?  I'd like to get out there some day, looks fuckin' amazing. :cool:

Around where I live in and around the city, it's mainly martello towers (Like the one in the picture I posted) used in the 1916 revolution against the British. There are some beautiful castles outside of Dublin though, so beautiful.

In the city itself, there are no skyscrapers/big buildings and the city corporation will not give planning permission to any new buildings/the demolition of historical sites.

The General Post Office (GPO) in the middle of the city is where the main events of the 1916 uprising happened and there are still British bullets all over the historical building. The GPO is on O'Connell Street (O'Connell was a political liberator, an anti-slavery proponent from the 1800s). One of the most beautiful, most metaphorical reminders of our dark history is the bullet marks left on the O'Connell statue. Poignantly, one of the bullets hit against the breast an angel on the statue which is still visible today :)

11. ^ Sounds wonderful Twee. I love cities with no new buildings :)

it's bittersweet
    after joining the European Union and the 'Celtic tiger' (when Ireland was super rich), people forgot all about
    comradeship and our beautiful, rich history and became greedy.
    Corruption was rife, European Union funding was going missing and we're lucky our banks didn't collapse.
    Businesses are now shutting down, people loosing jobs, children going hungry, emigration happening on a mass scale. You name it.

It's a beautiful country yes, but a great example of the ugliness of greed and corruption.
    I love Ireland, but I hate what it has become.

13. #13 Sunny Jim, Dec 13, 2013
    I grew up in a metropolitan area in Connecticut, and I hated it. I was just miserably unhappy. My neighbors competed with each other over who's lawn was manicured the best, who had the newest car, who's kid's were the best athletes. I went to school with a crowd of incredibly spoiled rich kids who shat all over anyone who's parents didn't drive a BMW (I was not rich, and as a result was somewhat ostracized) The whole culture was just incredibly superficial and obnoxious. 

I moved to a VERY small, rural town (more like a village, really) of about 350 in VT seven years ago (I was thirteen), and comparatively speaking, I like the lifestyle much, much more. There are difficulties, it can be hard to find work (most of the younger people I know work for their families' businesses, if you're not plugged into the townie network it can be VERY hard), and it can be isolating as all hell, especially in the winter. But The people are so much more down to earth and your neighbors mind their own business (I only have one, about half a mile from me). There isn't this constant miasma of competition polluting everything, and there's generally a good sense of community here. 

The weed is pretty good here, everyone smokes. And I feel like I have much closer friendships here than I ever had in CT. People are very easygoing and accepting of differences, and there's a sense of camaraderie among friends.

Oh yeah, and I get to wake up to a fucking incredible panoramic view of the Green Mountains every morning.

14. Having living in both I ended up living in the outskirts of the big city. I can work and have the convince of the city a 15-30 minutes away (I live inbetween 2 major citys) but with all the small town stuff as well. Theres often nice little towns not to far from the city in most places. To me it's the best of both worlds.

15. Small town, I have about a 15 min drive just to get into town. Bonfires every weekend in the summer, shooting guns off the porch and mud bogs. I couldnt live in a big city, people seem to materialistic weather it be the clothes you where or the car you drive.

16. #16 Delightfully High, Dec 13, 2013
    Just outside of the big city. Best of both worlds.

17. I live in a small city, about 100,000 people, but it's got a real small town vibe. I dig it, but I've always preferred smaller places. I intend to settle in the near future, somewhere with plenty of acreage. I'm a country boy, what can I say?

I lived in London for about 4 years. I love it, but I really do hate it. It's... London, that's only way to describe it. I dislike the crowds, the disconnect, the endless claw to get ahead. I find it nauseating. I'm the guy who let's other cars in traffic go first, smiles good morning on the street, and walks with my head up to take it all in. The city is the opposite and that's why I'll never live in one.

18. Lived in small cities, big cities, little bumfuck towns, now in an unincorporated area (we don't even qualify as a town) in a county of about 16k. I like it here the best. Spent most of my childhood (and life) in a town of about 60k, it's a pretty nice place. There's a lot of pro and cons to each, makes it a great example of human opinion.

While I kind of like the really small towns, some people can be rather unaccepting of people from other places in them.

Living in a big city was different. Cool experience, but would not want to do it again. Wouldn't really want to live in suburbs right outside one either. I like being a little out there :smoke:

Yeah this is one of my biggest issues too.. the superficial culture, materialism, constant competition and the endless yearning to be "cool". I even live in one of the "worst" part of town and still feel that on almost a daily basis.
    I love the friendly, down to earth people in my hometown, and it's known to be sorta a "hippie town" so there's quite a few people that smokes there. I'm just worried it's gonna be difficult to find new friends. I've been gone so long I've lost connection with most of my old friends, and honestly we've probably grown apart.

To the people that have moved to smaller towns, do you ever miss the concerts and cultural life? Or does everything else make up for it?

20. Living in the city centre of a mederately sized city at the moment. Shit's pretty decent. Weed delivered to my door, pub across the road, an off licence and three small supermarkets within a 3 minute walk, several takeaways, pubs and clubs all within 5 minutes. I think the only small town I could live in is Glastonbry which has a completely different vibe to any of the small towns i've been to in England and Poland where I've got family.