big brother is watching you

Discussion in 'General' started by pawlywog, Feb 18, 2010.

1. #1 pawlywog, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2010
  2. I don't follow.

3. yeah um... my bad about that operator error i'm high.. its fixed now :smoking:

4. the kid was probly tokin a fat doob:smoke:

5. thats what i would do but not everyone thinks people would do such a thing to them. it erks me out a lot, i had a laptop when i was in school

6. Caught tons of kids jerkin it I bet..

7. shit wouldn't affected me, since i breakdown my nugs on my laptop lid, it's closed when i blaze. for real though that's so fucked up. violating so many rights. they never should've used that as evidence are they fucking stupid?

8. Posted on schools website:

Dear LMSD Community,

Last year, our district became one of the first school systems in the United States to provide laptop computers to all high school students. This initiative has been well received and has provided educational benefits to our students.

The District is dedicated to protecting and promoting student privacy. The laptops do contain a security feature intended to track lost, stolen and missing laptops. This feature has been deactivated effective today.

The following questions and answers help explain the background behind the initial decision to install the tracking-security feature, its limited use, and next steps.

• Why are webcams installed on student laptops?

The Apple computers that the District provides to students come equipped with webcams and students are free to utilize this feature for educational purposes.

• Why was the remote tracking-security feature installed?

Laptops are a frequent target for theft in schools and off school property. The security feature was installed to help locate a laptop in the event it was reported lost, missing or stolen so that the laptop could be returned to the student.

• How did the security feature work?

Upon a report of a suspected lost, stolen or missing laptop, the feature was activated by the District's security and technology departments. The tracking-security feature was limited to taking a still image of the operator and the operator's screen. This feature has only been used for the limited purpose of locating a lost, stolen or missing laptop. The District has not used the tracking feature or web cam for any other purpose or in any other manner whatsoever.

• Do you anticipate reactivating the tracking-security feature?

Not without express written notification to all students and families.

We regret if this situation has caused any concern or inconvenience among our students and families. We are reviewing the matter and will provide an additional update as soon as information becomes available.

Sincerely,

Dr. Christopher McGinley
    Superintendent

9. They also have a feedback feature on their website if you guys are interested, hehe.

Here