Biblical Arguement

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Captain Cannabi, Jul 29, 2008.

1. If you are looking for Cannabis Legalisation points, and you want to go for the Biblical approach, here's lots of Biblically backed up points for you to use.

Biblical Arguement

Marijuana, Cannabis Sativa.
    This herb has been mentioined in the bible, stated to be given to man.
    Marijuana is a holy herb irated by GOD, in this planet which is created by the creator, the Bible says in the book of Genesis, God created Heaven and Earth for seven days and he rested.
    After the creation of earth there were trees, animals and man, and God gave man the authority to name evrything then there was marijauna or Cannabis sativa (Cannabis sativa is believed to be a native plant of India, where it possibly originated in a region just north of the Himalayan mountains. It is a herbaceous annual that can grow to a height of between 13 and 18 feet (4 to 5.4 meters); Marijuana plants (allegedly)contain more than 400 chemicals, 60 of which fit into a category called cannabinoids, according to the National Institutes of Health).

Genesis 1:29-30 says "God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so."
    "The Vatican was the first to criminalize the Herb centuries back in Europe, because the builders of the Churches would rather smoke up weed than build the tabernacles of the false shepherd. How does the Pope say he is the voice of God when he criminalizes what the Almighty has created for us to use as stated in the Bible verses above.

Who are we to argue the word of God and change it.
    We all know South Africa as a so called claimed democratic and religious country, but as far as I am concerned the rights of the Rastafarians are violated.
    The government must let the Rastafarians use the herb cannabis sativa, accordingly.
    It is therefore a violation of internationally protected human rights to pass laws that prohibit this activity and it is a further violation of Internationally protected human rights to criminalize and incarcerate members of the Rastafari.

Sometimes, the Holy Herb may also be connected with the Tree of Life, as spoken of in Revelation 22:2, particularly in reference to "the leaves of the tree" being "for the healing of the nations."

Cannabis use in the Old Testament was again looked at in 1936, by Sula Benet. "... Benet stated that the original Hebrew versions of the Old Testament and the Aramaic translations contained references to cannabis by name; "In the original Hebrew text of the Old Testament there are references to hemp, both as incense, which was an integral part of religious celebration, and as an intoxicant." .

The name "cannabis" is generally thought to be of Scythian origin, but Benet argues that it has a much earlier origin in Semitic languages like Hebrew, ocurring several times in the Old Testament.
    Benet also informs us of hemp's role as a sacred oil, stating that in Exodus 30:23 God commands Moses to make a holy anointing oil of myrrh, sweet cinnamon, kaneh bosm, and cassia.
    He continues that the word kaneh bosm is also rendered in traditional Hebrew as kannabos or kannabus and that the root "kan" in this construction means "reed" or "hemp", while "bosm" means "aromatic".
    This word appeared in Exodus 30:23, Isaiah 43:24, Jeremiah 6:20, Eziekiel 27:19, Song of Songs 4:8-14.

Picking up a King James Version bible, the above passage may read:
    "Take thou also unto thee principal spices, of pure myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half so much, even two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet calamus two hundred and fifty shekels."

The Hebrew University has declared that "calamus" was a mistranslation from the Hebrew word "kannabosm" (cannabis, or marijuana)

"THEN THE LORD SAID TO MOSES, "TAKE THE FOLLOWING FINE SPICES: 500 SHEKELS OF LIQUID MYRRH, HALF AS MUCH OF FRAGRANT CINNAMON, 250 SHEKELS OF KANNABOSM, 500 SHEKELS OF CASSIA - ALL ACCORDING TO THE SANCTUARY SHEKEL - AND A HIND OF OLIVE OIL. MAKE THESE INTO MAKE THESE INTO A SACRED ANNOITING OIL, A FRAGRANT BLEND, THE WORK OF A PERFUMER. IT WILL BE THE SACRED ANNOITING OIL."

Cannabis is Sacrament, if it was "good enough for Moses, it's good enough for me."
    It must be stated here, that it is the belief of the members of the Religion of Jesus Church that Cannabis is not a narcotic, nor is Cannabis a drug, rather it is an herb;
    herb
    (ûrb) (hûrb) -n. 1. A plant that has a fleshy stem as distinguished from the woody tissue of shrubs and trees and that generally dies back at the end of each growing season. 2. Any of various often aromatic plants used esp. in medicine or as seasoning. [ME herbe < OFr. erbe < Lat. herba.]

MARIJUANA AS THE CHRISTIAN SACRAMENT
    Cannabis has it's own unique receptors in the brain, that govern mainly over theareas of higher thinking and memory.

He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; (Psalm 104:14)

In 1 Corinthians 11:28 Christ said, "Let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread, and drink of the cup." Probably the most relevant study to date about what might be considered typical marijuana experience concludes that marijuana gives spontaneous insights into self (Dr. Charles Tart, "On Being Stoned: A Psychological Study of Marijuana Intoxication", Science and Behavior, 1971).

The sacramentality of marijuana is declared by Christ himself and can be understood only when a person partakes of the natural divine herb.
    The fact is communion of Jesus cannot be disputed or be destroyed.
    Marijuana is the new wine divine and cannot be compared to the old wine, which is alcohol.
    Jesus rejected the old wine and glorified the "new wine" at the wedding feast of Cana.
    Cana is a linguistic derivation of the present day cannabis and so it is. (Some Biblical scholars and there is a certain amount of support in early tradition of the view have looked upon the miracle of Cana as a sign of the Eucharist.)
    Note the references to new wine in the Bible:
    Isaiah 65:8 "Thus saith the Lord, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it; so will I do for my servant's sake"
    Acts 2:13 "Others mocking said, "These men are full of new wine."
    Isaiah 65:8 declares that the new wine is found in the cluster and that a blessing is in it. When one mentions clusters, one thinks of clusters of grapes.
    Webster's New Riverside Dictionary, Office Edition, defines marijuana: 1. Hemp 2. The dried flower clusters and leaves of the hemp plant, esp. when taken to induce euphoria.

The Encyclopedia Britannica says the following about hemp:
    Seed producing flowers form elongate, spike like clusters growing on the pistillate, or female plants; pollen producing flowers form many branched clusters or staminate, on male plants. Here and in Webster's, marijuana fits the description of the new wine and as history has shown a blessing is in it.

2. thank you for sharing that with me... i guess the question i wonder is wouldn't you consider marijuana an intoxicant? and isn't an intoxication warned about 75 times in the bible or is it just alcohol? so doesn't that contradict it? it really depends on how intoxication is perceived by God...

3. #3 Hardnutcheck, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011
    This shouldn't even be a question.

-Bible has written in it that whatever God created that bears seeds is meant to be consumed by men in any way they want.

-The whole "Your body is a holy temple" and you shouldn't harm your body has nothing to do with cannabis. The facts prove how cannabis affects your system and it's not in a negative way

The only thing that I can relate cannabis to doing wrong has nothing to do with the plant but the individual. If a person uses and puts the plant befor God, stays home, is useless, ect..... It has nothing to do with the plant and everything to do with the person. Substitue cannabis with ____ and you'll have the same story on abuse and not living your life right.

People love to state how they read and follow the bible, the bible does speak of a sacred herb. I'm not saying the cannabis is 100% that herb(Which I do believe) but why don't they ever ask "So what's the sacred herb"

4. #4 justinsxc, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011
    it is most definitely a question worth asking... if you have something that's blocking your heart from communicating with God, then it's worth asking. the oil and uses of hemp itself is a fact that we should use it since the uses far outweigh the cons. the hemp oil cures most terminal cancers and diseases, but is there a valid use for smoking it compared to the oil?
    there's 2 ways to consume it... which one or both?that's the question i'm wondering. i'm also wondering about 'the anointing oil' since there is question whether the translation got misinterpreted to calamus rather than cannabis. the truth needs to get out... but accurately. here's a valid point i came across: ps-i'm the president of a SSDP campus organization, so i'm for full legalization... just trying to find some answers on how it should be used in the eyes of God (smoke, oil, or both).

5. In the eyes of God?

Use it in any form you want while recognizing it as one of Gods creations.

6. Way to dig this one from the graves....

The Bible also supports opium, alcohol, killing non-virgins and homosexuals, etc. pretty much anyone who claims to use the bible as a holy reference is only going to pick-and-choose what parts they do or do not want to listen to. It's all a moot point, really.

7. #7 PajamaSam, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Seperation of church and state only seems to work when it's in the governments favor. I agree with this dude

8. Trying to find obscure scriptures in the Bible has always been a dumbass arguement.
    And saying weed is good because God made it is also stupid.
    God made hemlock and nightshade and poison ivy as well.

9. I like this a lot, but there are some points which i think weaken your argument:

- You speak purely in terms of Rastafarian beliefs. If the annoiting oil of Moses contained cannabis, and the Judeo-Christian Old Testament scriptures expressly allow for the use of cannabis, then marijuana prohibition violates the rights of Jews and all Christians, not just Rastafarians. And if you're citing Biblical passages to convince people that God is okay with weed, you should tailor your arguments to mainstream Christians and Jews; Rastafarians don't need any more convincing.

- On that same topic, the connection to cannabis and the "new wine" is tenuous at best, particularly because both the Old and New Testaments refer to the wine (new or otherwise) as being drunk. The ancient Hebrews would only have been able to drink cannabis as a tincture in alcohol, so either Jesus was okay with both alcohol and cannabis, or more likely, wine meant wine.

- As others have stated, the lines about using any herb upon the earth can apply to various dangerous plants as well, including opium poppies, datura, and tobacco. This isn't an issue if you consider other Biblical mandates to take care of your body, since obviously weed isn't as harmful as those other plants, but my point is that when you say cannabis is an herb not a drug, you open up the door for all those other plants as well. What makes marijuana different from tobacco, or hashish different from opium? It's okay to admit that cannabinoids are drugs, and in fact it makes the medical community take MMJ more seriously.

Anyway, great post.

10. Rastafarians are racist bullshitters. Like the Emperor of Ethiopia was a religious icon. He couldn't even beat the Italians in WW2. So much for divine properties.

11. #11 errorUAtaken, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    If that's the case alcohol would be banned as well
    But instead John 2:1 read on
    Notice how he said drink the good stuff until you're intoxicated then drink the other stuff, if they did that they'd just keep a good buzz going and they wouldnt go over there limits
    It all depends on how you manage Titus 2:3 be responsible
    Mark 15:23, I think his reason was integrity