Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

bi-polar...

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by maryjane1973, Oct 17, 2008.

1. hi all. so i dont get med. marijuana. dont have it in my state. i hope this isnt too long...
    im bi-polar with ADD, anxiety and PTSD. i was on meds for over 10 years. lots of complications. hair loss and weight gain and more. i was taken off all meds about a year ago and went back to my ole friend maryjane. things r better than ever. anxiety is all but gone. havent been manic or depressed in a year at least. staying focused and doc said i was healthy and doing well. he told me there r clinical trials for bi-polar and going well. i think its to each thier own with this disease. i have heard bad and good both. for me its a way of life. im 35 and a mom of 2. married for 11 yrs. even family agree with me on this and they havent ever smoked and used to be against it. doing better than ever tho. so thats my point... anyone else with me on this?

2. Weed mixed with Bipolar can have catastrophic consequences, but if you were diagnosed before you started smoking... ehhhh.

I think you're fine. The scientific evidence proves that bud causes bipolar. It says nothing about afterwards.

3. yeah, been smoking for 15yrs or so. off n on. when i stop i seem to get down or manic. meds only made things worse for me. i agree with u tho. however it makes the memory of... what was i saying again??? LOL

4. evidence of this 'proof'? Theres a MASSIVE difference between proof and suggestion.

I had text book symptoms of bipolar awhile ago. Manic phases, nothing mattered, life was awesome, would sing to strangers as I passed them by, followed by depressive phases where I would be intensely suicidal.

Smoking stopped it completely. Nothing but contentment and euphoria with life. It brought about a massive spiritual change in me as well.

Not sure if it really was bipolar...been dry 5 months now and no depressive episodes. That also has to do with the spiritual change in me, but how much is attributed to what I do not know.

5. i thought the same and thats y i said to each thier own... for me it helps in various ways. to others it may not.
    i have done silly or crazy things being manic. famous for being psychic when manic.lol read tarrot cards in a bar on weds. sober minus pills ... became an artist... thought i was god... when i was taken off pills i went back to burning when needed. it helps me...

6. Weed is one of the best things that ever happened to me as far as my mental problems go. I was able to get off my medications that were wreaking havoc on my body, and I'm feeling better than ever.

7. im with ya on that! gods gift....

8. "Children with one parent who is bipolar have a 15 to 30 percent chance of developing the disorder. If both parents have a history of manic depression, the risk increases to anywhere between 50 to 70 percent."

No further proof for that fact, but my doctor told me that if you smoke marijuana pre-diagnosis, the risk increases to 80-90%.

"A study performed at the Netherlands National Institute of Mental Health and Addiction set out to discover a link between marijuana use and mood disorders such as bipolar disorder. Researchers wanted to determine if a disproportionate number of those who went on to develop mood disorders had previously smoked marijuana. Clearly, these researchers were operating under the assumption that marijuana use would trigger a mood disorder. Their findings showed that there was a link between marijuana use and onset of bipolar disorder, but their results were inconclusive as to why."

====

But lets not overlook my original point. Whether it be proof or suggestion, all indications point towards two facts. Smoking pre-diagnosis does not help if you are trying to avoid Bipolar, but post-diagnosis, marijuana has been reported to be helpful. Kind of a double negative, yes, but take it for what it is.

9. same
    i love my mary jane
    she keeps me sane :)

10. To the OP: Glad to hear you're doing well. Bipolar disorder is not much fun. Even after I was on meds, I still got mood swings, and really low depressive episodes. Then I discovered marijuana for my treatment, and it didn't take long, and I knew what medicine I needed to be taking as well.

I take the pills and marijuana, both are necessary for me, but each person is different. I don't know where I'd be without this natural medicine from God.

11. My Mom was bipolar- I'm just "moody". Cannabis helps me keep my head level. You might find these to be interesting reading.

The Use of Cannabis as a Mood Stabilizer in Bipolar Disorder: Anecdotal Evidence and the Need for Clinical Research
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/TheUseofCannabisasaMoodStabilizerinBipolarDisorder.html

Cannabinoids in bipolar affective disorder: a review and discussion of their therapeutic potential.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15888515?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn

Cannabis in bipolar
    http://www.pendulum.org/bpnews/archive/001628.html

Recipe For Trouble (anecdotal)
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/03/05/48hours/main503022.shtml

Granny :wave:

12. I have been on Prozac for about a year, and its helped me a bunch, but i have found that when i get into my manic and suicidally depressed states, only weed has helped. I was on Seroquel for a short period of time after a suicide attempt, however it only made me feel worse, and so once i stopped those pills and went back to weed i have been doing infinitely better

13. thanks all for the replies. i didnt smoke before i was diagnosed in 1987... but i can promise my results have been life saving. i no longer see or hear things or have mania or depression. i have rough times as we all do but maryjane has always helped bring me back. i still think to each thier own.

14. bi-polar with ADD, anxiety and PTSD - I feel for you

15. It is scientifically proven that marijuana replicates the symptoms of Bi-Polar disorder for some individuals. I've personally experienced an individual that became extremely unstable while smoking weed. Elated and happy one moment, convinced he's dead and is a ghost walking among the living (i think it was a metaphor) the next. Everyone reacts differently to marijuana. For mary jane it makes her feel better... for my friend john it just made him crazy.

16. Yes, everyone reacts differently. However, for me, marijuana is like a gift from the heavens. It works so much better as a mood stabalizer for me then any of the awful chemicals they were putting into my body before.

I felt like a shell. Now i feel like a person. On my medication, everyone who met me could tell I was crazy. Now I tell people I'm bipolar and no one believes me. I like it.

17. Hi,

I have pickup this article about bipolar so you could see it. I could not get a legal license but my GP prescribed salivex which is THC andCBD. So would this med be effective for bipolar or I need the real stuff. Sh.. It costed nme $295.00 for one month supply and it tates like crap but if it does the work I'll take it,

Can you check this for me?

Thanks soooo much

Bipolar affective disorder is often poorly controlled by prescribed drugs. Cannabis use is common in patients with this disorder and anecdotal reports suggest that some patients take it to alleviate symptoms of both mania and depression. We undertook a literature review of cannabis use by patients with bipolar disorder and of the neuropharmacological properties of cannabinoids suggesting possible therapeutic effects in this condition. No systematic studies of cannabinoids in bipolar disorder were found to exist, although some patients claim that cannabis relieves symptoms of mania and/or depression. The cannabinoids Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) may exert sedative, hypnotic, anxiolytic, antidepressant, antipsychotic and anticonvulsant effects. Pure synthetic cannabinoids, such as dronabinol and nabilone and specific plant extracts containing THC, CBD, or a mixture of the two in known concentrations, are available and can be delivered sublingually. Controlled trials of these cannabinoids as adjunctive medication in bipolar disorder are now indicated.

Publication Types:
    Meta-Analysis
    Review