Beware taking pictures with a phone

Discussion in 'Security' started by pcguy4thai, May 3, 2012.

1. A tip to all growers who take pictures with their phones: Make sure you have geo-tagging turned off when taking pictures with your phone. I came across this article about a member of Anonymous recently getting busted because pictures he uploaded to the internet had GPS info embedded in the image (as do all phone pictures when geo-tagging is enabled). The FBI was able to examine the image and see the exact GPS location at which the image was taken. Something to think about.

"After analyzing the photo, the FBI determined that it was taken by an iPhone. GPS co-ordinates were also lifted from the image, leading officials to the exact South Wantirna street and house where the busty photo was taken."

Full Article

2. well i'm glad the fbi bothers to find single m j plants . giveme a break.

3. Thanks. Just turned mine off and deleting all pics i have put up.

4. All I'm saying is if you're going to take pictures with your phone, why not take the five seconds to disable it from embedding GPS coordinates of your grow in the images you take. But hey, ignorance is bliss.

5. Shit like that always annoys me, like wtf, its not like an image of a dead body!

6. I always have geo tagging turned off.. Don't see any need to know where the pictures where taking.. If I can't figure out from the actual picture then woe is me.

7. #7 smokinj798, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
    So, stupid question, how do I turn off the geo tagging on my iphone 4s?

8. lmao im wondering also....

9. Go into SETTINGS, LOCATION SERVICES, and turn CAMERA to off.  This should disable geotagging for all future photos you take.

10. Yeah, do beware. I had some creeper track me down to my Facebook/my location by a pic I posted online from my iphone...pretty scary.
    I could see the cops doing that even easier.

11. ...there's even some loss of anonymity with regular cameras (what type camera, date taken, other info depending on the cam).

If you have Photoshop or the free, open source program Gimp, just open the image, save for web, then upload. That will strip any image (be it from a phone, cam, or the web) of any exif or other meta data that gives away any info you'd rather not share.

Also, try not to post the same self-created images/photos in too many different forums or social networks where you may also have some anonymity. One could do an image search via TinEye and use the different results to see where you're more or less anonymous.

Not trying to sound paranoid or anything, but at another forum I post in we use online search tools to gather photos of certain members for Photoshop hazing.

12. good looking out mayne

13. That's awkward....lol

14. Good looking out, just took pics and had it enabled. Hopefully I don't get raided for a baby lol

15. but now you must go to SETTINGS, GENERAL, RESET, RESET WARNINGS, and press RESET. Now go to camera and select DONT ALLOW.

NOW you're safe :D