Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

beta blockers and weed

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Kptkronic420, Dec 11, 2017.

1. this may not be the best place to post this, but this is only my 3rd post and ive never gotten a reply on one lol so here it goes. I am 20 years old awaiting a echocardiogram to make sure my heart isnt the issue and its my anxiety causing arrythmia or PACs(premature atrial contractions). My normal family DR sent me to a cardiologist immediately after he about scared me shitless by saying i had an arrythmia on the EKG as he said that i freaked and then he said i went into AFib. Thats when he said to see the cardiologist the same day. The cardiologist told me its just anxiety and my heart rate was just very fast 120bpm+. And the reg doctor could have misread it. After leaving my cardiologist office he gave me metoprolol 25mg extended release. I took them the first day and didnt smoke same with the second day. But i really cannot sleep on these meds i wake up atleast every 2 hours, but i go right back to sleep. My first EKG i had done was very recent in the ER and read abnormal with this as my diagnosis Sinus Rythm with possible premature atrial contractions with Aberrant conduction with junctional escape complexes. I dont expect anyone to know what that means and i dont even know what that means. Bottom line if i rip my bong am i going to die? HERB.com had an article on 9 meds not to mix with some cheeba and a beta blocker is one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I've been on beta blockers for years and haven't died yet. Anyway cannabis plays with our nervous system and has a tendency to make our hearts go pitter patter but there's not much to worry over. The arrhythmias you had were not dangerous. Our hearts have back up systems for it's back up systems so if we miss a beat or if a beat originates too early to be effective another pacemaker steps in and does the job. Interestingly the tolerance to weed we get when we smoke too often extends to our hearts so the more tolerance you have the fewer PACs and other early beats you'll have. Google cannabis induced atrial fibrillation sometimes.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I agree with Cactus Ed. I have been on a beta blocker while smoking cannabis with no ill effects. Good luck with this heart stuff.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Thank you for the reply. I am more concerned about the BP drop after it increases from smoking. I have read a couple articles saying marijuana increases your BP for a short period of time but then lowers it significantly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I suppose you can worry about it but I don't see why. I did a brief search and found no scientific study that found cannabis makes bp dangerously low. That's needless anxiety. Did you tell the cardiologist you were high when your heart rate was 120? If you didn't you should. If you bother to see a doctor you shouldn't keep secrets from him or he can't get at what's really happening. He may not have put you on beta blockers if he knew you'd been smoking pot when your heart rate was fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Beta blockers prevent your heart from going too fast, weed causes your arteries to become wider, this means the blood pressure drops, your heart might not be able to compensate by beating harder and thus generating more pressure, the worst thing that would happen is you black out. You'd regain consciousness almost immediately. You're still young, don't worry about it too much.

Sinus Rythm = normal
    with possible premature atrial contractions = lots of people can have those
    with Aberrant conduction with junctional escape complexes = this might be worrisome

• Like Like x 1
  7. Now you got me all worried about the bottom two my doctor didn't explain to me what these meant and at the time I was in a panic and didn't think to ask. I have no clue what either of those bottom two mean.

8. Could you explain why that may be worrisome?

9. I'm wondering to my man I messaged him as well with no reply, but from what I know so far is a junctional escape complex is a junctional heart rythm and aberrancy I don't really know there's 4 main kinds of aberrant conductions.

10. I'm sorry for not replying to your messages all that time, man. I haven't been on this forum in forever and am just now reading this. Hope you got it all cleared up and checked up and that you're fine.

I'm just a medical student (still), so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Aberrant conduction: Our heart beats because of electricity that's generated in a certain point (atrioventricular node) of the heart and then it follows the nerves along the heart to produce a functional heartbeat. This electricity is what an EKG reads. Aberrant conduction means that the pathway of the electricity differs from normal. This could be because of a few reasons which I'm sure the cardiologist will examine.

with junctional escape complexes = means there's an extra nodule somewhere which produces its own 'electricity/signal', or there's a malformation of the nerves which allows the electricity to literally 'escape' rather than follow the regular pathway along the heart.

This message on your EKG was probably printed along the bottom of the page and was an automated diagnosis. I'd trust your cardiologist if he says you're ok.

Once again, hope you're doing well.

11. I'm guessing the junctional escape is after a compensatory pause initiated by one of his PACs. Probably the aberrant conduction is from the junctional beats. Regardless, it doesn't sound bad or dangerous. I think it's odd his family doc diagnosed Afib from that first EKG. I bet he relied on the computer to read it for him and the computer is frequently wrong. I've seen lots of docs do that, some don't hardly glance at the EKG, they look for the computer's diagnosis. I'm sure you'll do better.

12. Yeah, I'm a bit late aswell. Beta blocks can be very different from country to country.

Beta blocks puts our blood blood pressure down and Cannabis do the opposite. From my knowledge, these two drugs shouldn't be mixed. Won't kill you, but it can cause nausea or blackout.

Feel free to correct me if you got other options.

13. Beta blockers are different in different countries? Fortunately in the country I live in mixing them doesn't cause nausea or blackouts.

14. Yeah, pretty sure of that. For my country, doctors and "scientists" recommends that mixing any drugs, that does/has a chance of doing the opposite with beta blockers. It can have very negative effects. The percentage of people experiencing is low, about 10-15%.

For an example, if you're taking prescriptions drugs like Beta blockers and smokes weed, it can make you feel bad or even pass out. Blackout were maybe the wrong word for it, I mostly link this to alcohol.

Even though that the percentage is really low, I still don't recommend it. Should mention that the chances are higher with drugs like alcohol compared to weed.

Oh, one more thing to mention. I don't know if it's the same for your country, but here we actually use beta blocks to people who are abusing alcohol. Same with your country?

15. Treating alcoholism wasn't my field but we shouldn't be talking about this drug here due to forum rules. I suspect this thread was only allowed to continue because we were discussing beta blockers interacting with cannabis. I agree it's possible to have an abnormally low blood pressure when mixing beta blockers and cannabis but it's also possible to have an abnormally low blood pressure with beta blockers alone. But the worst that will happen is you get a bit woozy for a few seconds when you stand up. I've not heard of anyone suffering damage to their bodies over mixing the two drugs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Oh no, that wasn't my point either. Just wanted to compare them.

Thanks for reminding me about the rules, I just forgot it for a moment.

17. My knowledge is more on CBD then THC as far as medically speaking. CBD high strain would be a problem because CBD At sufficient doses will temporarily deactivate cytochrome P450 enzymes, thereby altering how we metabolize a wide range of compounds, including tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other medications we may take. CBD displaces its chemical competitors and prevents cytochrome P450 from metabolizing other compounds. That is why if you get too high, you could take some cbd to level out and lower your high. THC on the other hand is a different story. Hope the other members helped you with that.