Best way to use perlite?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by wowee123, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Im really confused how to use perlite with soil, iv heard some put it all on the bottom of the pot, others on top, others mix it in. Whats the best way of doing it? How would you mix it in with the soil without making a mess?

2. Mix it into the soil.

Get a 5 gallon bucket. Fill it half way with soil, half with perlite. (some people do 2/3 soil and 1/3 perlite, personal choice) Mix thoroughly. Use this mix to fill your containers. No mess, no fuss.

Good luck.

3. sweet thanks

4. He's absolutely right. Mix it all in. The perlite is used to allow oxygen to get down to the roots- which your plant requires for healthy growth. The perlite is also fantastic for drainage. So you do want it mixed throughout your soil.

As mad4reef suggested - you can decide your mix. The more perlite you use, the more often you'll have to water. BUT perlite is pH neutral -- which is really nice, since pH problems are a pain in the butt :)

You can use any ratio of soil/perlite from 75/25 to 40/60 (and beyond). I started with a 60soil/40perlite mix -- but have continuously added more perlite with each new soil batch. My preference is 40/60 - it has a very light and airy feel to the soil, allowing the roots to breathe and move/grow easily.

The other benefit of adding perlite to soil (on a financial level) is that perlite is CHEAP, and good soils can be a bit pricey... the more perlite you add to your mix, the further your soil will go :)

5. i like it with coffee