Best way to transplant out of plastic cups.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Deebo420, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Its getting time to transplant and im wondering whats the easiest way to move from party cups to a bigger pot...I was thinking of maybe cutting the plastic cup carefully but idk if thats the best way

2. You can do that, I've read posts where ppl do that with success. The way I do it is to make sure the soil is good and moist so it stays together and turn the cup upside down with the stem between my middle and ring finger. then tap the bottom of the cup. everything comes out in an easy to handle cup shaped clump. then simply place into the larger pot already filled with soil with a hole dug for the existing soil/rootball. Hope this helps.

Edit: Also make sure you do this in an area thats easy to clean up cause ther will be some spillage. Learned that the hardway...

3. ^This, with some caveats. Before you start, dig a hole in the new pot and place the current cup into the hole, with the soil line inside the cup slightly higher than the soil line in the new pot, and fill in soil around the cup. Then, remove the cup and you have a hole that is the perfect size and shape to accept your rootball. When you transplant you want the soil to be moist but not wet, or it could stick to the cup. Before you flip the cup over, squeeze it on the sides to unstick the soil from the cup. Have your hand spread-eagled over the cup, with the sprout between your fingers, before you flip it. Put the other hand on the bottom of the cup and flip it all the way over in one smooth motion. After it's out of the cup, put the other hand on top of the rootball (actually the bottom since it's upside down) and flip it back over in one smooth motion. G'luck.

4. Well said toasty, clear as a bell :D