Best way to store seeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by arox, Jan 31, 2010.

1. I have never grown marijuana before, but in this current economy (which I think is a bunch of bullshit, the governments of the world just need to quit wasting taxpayers hard earned money), I want to grow a few plants for personal use. A few days ago, my cousin gave me 6 seeds, which his dealer gave to him for reasons that are unknown to me.

Now, I am still a fair ways away from finishing building a grow box (I still have to buy proper lights, hinges, and am still trying to find the most suitable soil), and I would like to know if there is any proper way to store the seeds before you plant them, because I know that some seeds can be left anywhere, while others need special care. I currently have them simply sitting on my dresser.

I would have simply Googled this, but I believe I will get better details and proper instructions on GrassCity.

Thank you, and happy tokin! :smoke:

EDIT: Any information on the lifespan, or I guess you could say "shelf life" of seeds would be very helpful too, and these seeds are approximately 2 weeks old.

2. I know you can germinate a seed that's up to five years old, but they have to be kept under good conditions.

i'm not exactly sure on the conditions but i'm sure another blade will come along to help.

Get Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil;)

Good luck

3. Thank you, that solved two of my problems! :D

4. According to Attitude, seeds are to be kept in a cool, dark place and can be saved for years. There are also threads here to help with germination of older seeds.
    Good luck!
    Have faith!

5. I have found the best way to store seeds is by sealing them in air tight containers and refrigerating them. I just acquired some seeds that were over 20 yrs old, just tried to germinate 4 of them and 3 of the 4 popped and are doing well.

6. Needs to be:

• Air tight
    • Dry (very important)
    • Cold
    • Dark place

Best idea is probably to wrap them up in paper and store inside a plastic baggy within a black film canister.

7. Thank you all for your replies!
    I have been busy these last few days gathering supplies so I can finish building my box, and this information has come in handy. I am currently waiting for seeds from the Vancouver Seed Bank (Vancouver Seed Bank)

Once again, thank you guys for your help, and hopefully you'll be seeing a grow journal from me in due time! :hello:

8. I store my seeds in glass jars after they have fully dried. I keep the jars a drawer in an unheated room of my house but some people say to put them in the freezer. I don't wash my seed either.I keep seeds a couple years then start fresh. As for saving hybrid/genetically altered seeds be warned they may not come back exactly as they were. Monsanto Co. actually does not want people to save seed.