Best way to start 6month Outdoor Grow?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by LionInTheJungle, Apr 17, 2011.

1. I want to start a 6 month grow and i want to know the best way to start it. Ill be growing one plant in a 10 gal. pot using Subcools soil mix, feed with plain water or maybe organic tea. The weather here is great here and Im close to the equator.

Do I start from bean or use a clone? Is it better to veg inside under light or veg outdoor? Is a 10 gal. pot big enough to go 6 months? Plain water or organic tea? Best way to support plant?:confused:

2. Anybody? Bump.

3. I would do everything outdoor, no stress on the plaant from going indoor to outdoor. Also, bean or clone is up to you, depends on how much work you plan on putting in, for one plant I would buy a clone, that way your guaranteed to get a female plant where a seed your not even guaranteed germination let alone female sex.

4. As for the tea question, you can make fertilizer-type teas but it seems like overkill to me if you already have a decent soil mix. You may want to look into the occasional application of an actively aerated compost tea, which serves to inoculate the soil with bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and nematodes that contribute to the overall well being of your garden's food web, but I would stick with water otherwise.

5. Thanks for the feedback you guys. What would be the best size pot? Would a big Trash Bag make a good pot? Whats the best way to give the plant support?:smoke:

6. The bigger the pot, the bigger the plant. Plenty of people use grow bags to. Avoid black pots, as they can cook your roots in the hot sun.

As for support, you shouldn't need it. The tiny tears that occur all over the plant as it sways in the breeze grow back stronger, not unlike a trip to the gym for plants.

7. Can I use Heavy Duty Trash Bags with holes in the bottom as pots? I watched a video on netflix and the Cali Outdoor Growers were using the trash bags.

8. Dont use trash bags. They will burn your roots. Its pretty easy to find a small pot. And also if you grow from seed (bean) than i would suggest germinating either in a towel or in a small pot. By using a smaller pot you put less stress on the plant.

9. First off, cali growers are usually using home-built "smart pots" (usually made with burlap or landscaping fabric, hog or chicken wire and zip-ties, among other things), not trash bags. While people have grown in trash bags, it is generally advised that you don't unless your going to put it in the ground too to keep your soil seperate from native soil (because as superstoner said, when above ground it will cook the roots).

Also, try looking up LC's soilless mixes, they are very simple and effective (plus I've never seen anyone who's used subcool's super soil, and it looks like it could be a bit hot). Your plants would likely be bigger if you put them in the ground instead of in a container, but that is your call.

10. Thanks Superstoner and ganja for the advice. What size pot should I start with and what size to transplant into?:smoke: