Best way to keep air stones in place?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by LightGuy420, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Hi. I was just wondering the best way to keep air stones in place in the bottom of my bucket? I know some people glue them, what kind of glue is best? Or is there a better way?

Thanks for the help!

2. I have an 8 inch air stone its so heavy it stays in place. My suggestion is get a bigger stone.

3. you can use hot glue. i would just get a heavier stone though.

4. I use a pretty heavy airstone myself. But no matter what, my roots always reach down and grab it. Then they suck it in to the center of the root mass, and it is lost forever. I lost three stones on my last beast! She ate them......lol
    Not bad stones you got there. I personally use: Ecoplus Round Air Stone - Large
    I find the cylinder shape one give off a better amount of small bubbles.

5. I use a Stainless Steel carabiner. It has sat at the bottom of my rez for years, and not a blemish. Brass would be better.

6. don't tell people brass would be better.... wrong... brass and nutrients, not a good mix

use aquarium grade silicone... you find it at pet stores for five dollars.... good enough for fish, good enough for plants...

hot glue is also not a good idea... people say it gives off some sort of toxic chemicals during drying, that being said, i've seen people use it and be just fine... so pull the trigger here at your own risk...

7. Used this ^^^ for years with no problems...

8. whats wrong with brass and nutrients?

9. Ok, I think the aquarium grade silicone sounds like the best bet for me. Thanks for the info everyone!

Also, is there any significance/benefit to using black tube rather than clear tube for the AIR lines? (other than the risk of letting light into the rez)..

10. it creates chemical reactions with nutrients

8. Toxic elements in water, system, or growing medium (don't use galvanized metal, copper or brass) \t\t\t\t\t\t

Hydroponic Plant Info - GTG Hydroponics

11. Aquarium silicone will work just fine, but i use 4" round air stones, and they don't move. I also use fat Round air stones from the hydro store that are pretty heavy, so they don't move either.

The reason I don't silicone anything down is just in case you need to move something or replace something,, Its best to have the freedom to make changes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Use the suction cups you buy for aqurium heaters, thsi way you can change the stone and such without dealing with glue.:D

they have diff sizes so just get the ones that fit ur stone, 2 per works best..

13. #14 Marsdude, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
    I don't want to thread jack but I have an observation and a question about brass.

I am a homebrewer and we use brass fittings in some of our brew setups. However, we "pickel" the brass before hand. This is a simple procedure where the brass fitting is soaked in hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. Here is a link:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Appendix B - Brewing Metallurgy

My question is, has anyone ever done this for hydroponics, and did it work?

14. Thanks, that is a good idea as well. I will check those out. :)