Best way to encourage brother?

Discussion in 'General' started by breatheeasy, Aug 10, 2012.

1. I'm in college now paying for it as I go. It's a chore but I'm plugging along. I was a underachiever in high school. Although I did well I probably gave it a %50 effort. With the knowledge I have now I would go back and really apply myself and I would be going to my college of choice for free.

My brother is about to begin high school. Most of all the people in my family are pretty smart people so I know the ability is there. He's been near the top of his class up until now. He's at the point where I started giving a poor effor at school. So what's the best way to encourage him and bring him along so he's the most educated and sets himself up where his college is paid for and a great job is in place. I don't want to become like one of those parents that puts way too much pressure on the kid and causes failure. But with a little older perspective I would like to give him some good advice and for him to take it in.

2. Don't try to fit in . Smoke Weed , Work Hard In School , Your All Alone . BE READY.

3. Take him to a local fast food place. And ask him if he sees any workers there that are happy. Then ask him if he wants to work like that for 30 years.

4. [quote name='"lenny88"']Take him to a local fast food place. And ask him if he sees any workers there that are happy. Then ask him if he wants to work like that for 30 years.[/quote]

Your brother doesn't necessarily have to work at mcdonalds for the rest of his life. If you say he's smart maybe he'll learn a trade or be an entrepreneur or something.

5. talk to him straight up and ask him if he even wants to go to college.....then if he truthfully says yes then you tell him he has to try hard to get in for free....if he says no tell him to keep his grades above c's just incase

6. My brother practically beat me up trying to get me to apply myself but it took a couple years of struggling at dead end jobs for me to get it.

7. Take him to your local prison and show him what it's like. Let the inmates show him the dangers of doing time, and that he could very well be the one who drops the soap. Only then will he acquire the determination to do well in school, to save the world.

8. [quote name='"WhyHelloYouX"']Take him to your local prison and show him what it's like. Let the inmates show him the dangers of doing time, and that he could very well be the one who drops the soap. Only then will he acquire the determination to do well in school, to save the world.[/quote]

What's with all this posts saying if you don't go to college you'll either work a min. Wage job your whole life or just get sent to prison?

9. Yeah the OP and some of the rest are assuming they know whats best for his brother because thats what is best for them. Plus most people get it drilled into their mind during highschool that they should go to college to be successful. If you just want to earn money that is fine. If your brother is like that, then push college on him.

I have a college degree and only have it as a fall back because of my moms good advice. Plus I have experience in a couple professions that usually only hire those with experience. Right now I am pursuing a career with a yearly salary. I'm going to need alot of experience before that can happen but in the meantime I am very happy and poor.

I'd just talk to him. College might lead him to what he wants to pursue. Or it could be bad for him. My cousin switched majors three or four times and now has a degree in medical billing/coding, hates her job, and has huge debt in the form of student loans.

Is he artistic or does he have any type of hobby? Then maybe a art school or a trade school would be better. Regardless I would still advise that he gets a job at McDonalds or washing dishes. The poster above is right. Nothing will make you think about what you want to do with your life like washing the same set of dishes six days a week for twelve hours a day. By the time I was ready to quit without notice I had dreams and ambitions.

10. tape a video camera in his room somewhere pointed at his bed. video tape him masturbating and then black mail him into getting all As, or youll show his class mates the video..

just my 2 cents.

11. Yo guys i think the OP wants to encourage give him the mindset of doing his VERY BEST at what ever he is doing especially school. Not painfully brand him with a fear of dropping the soap nor fast food joint.

Although i well believe a lot of those prisoners can give you brother some real good life lessons, and what paths not to take.

Its going to be hard because its probably going to be a lesson your brother will have to learn on his own. But let him know that you want him to succeed, and that you only wish you had worked harder at his age.

You could possibly even give him OR (brilliant stoner idea) Write him a remixed version of the beginning of Hercules's accent to greatness. He could have took the easy path and satisfied himself with what others had, but instead he chose to achieve greater heights.

Now it doesn;t have to be a masterpiece or not even what i suggested, but i think if you take the time out to do something which takes effort, it will show your brother how serious you are about the topic. Also you will be able to present to your brother something that he will not easily be able to brush aside, overlook and forget about as a he might with a mere talking to.

What ever you do to try to convince him, put some effort into it. Its his future your trying to build so try not to do something half-assed, and he might more than half-assedly take your advice to heart.

12. Okay guys, I was fucking joking. My post was not meant to be taken seriously

What you really need to do is exercise some operant conditioning. Every time he get's a good grade you let him snort a little cocaine. Every time he doesn't beat the shit out of him. Before you know it he'll be going to Harvard.

13. Why are you replying to me? My brother doesn't work at mcdonalds...

14. If he's planning on going to college, then it's really just getting him to think longterm, which is the hard part. Everyone can tell that putting effort into schoolwork = getting into a better college = better job = more money, and money is enough to encourage anyone..... Just look at the "what would you do for $__" thread, people would cut off their own body parts for money lol...

The best motivation is having a reward waiting for you. Posting a weed forum, the one that comes to mind is smoking at the end of the day if you got all your work done... but that requires hell of a lot of self control to have a sack of weed waiting for you as you're doing boring as fuck homework. Figure out what you're brother is into and use that to your (his) advantage.... if he plays guitar, then at the end of the semester get him a pedal for getting good grades, or some shit like that. Bottom line is people only like to work if they're working for a reward they'll be getting in the near future.

15. I'm just speaking from personal experience.

16. talk to him like a man and not a little boy. tell him the facts but respect his opinion. and if he wants to learn the hard way well shit, thats your call i guess.i learned the hard way

17. Let him do his own thing. Make his own path