Best water for plants?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bgibs, Apr 1, 2016.

1. I know I ask a lot of questions and you guys might be getting sick of me but I want to be thurough! So I live in a condominium and it's an old building and when I turn my hot water on my water is very cloudy so I feel like I shouldn't use it for my plants. I was wondering if bottled water is okay to use for watering my plants. If you guys know any brands or if you have a solution to my tap water I'd appreciate it!

2. My concern is that if it is public water it will have been treated with chlorine or chloramine which can harm your plants. You can find out what your municipality uses online and then research how to remove it.

Bottled is ok but you MUST test the pH before you use it and adjust as needed. Some is pretty acidic. Depending on the source it may also lack things like copper, iron, calcium, which often occurs in well water. This can be typically made up by using supliments like cal-mag and others.

Be kind. Perfect your craft. Give more than you take. We are family.

3. You want to find distilled reverse osmosis water. You can find it in stores just read the labels.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. But say I find that, do I need to add Cali-mag still

5. No. Cal mag isn't even needed until late flower. Still even then you may not need it. I never have doing soil.

Sade's outdoor Bigfoot territory grow

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeah I'll be growing indoor auto flowers and I have been overthinking the whole watering thing. Can't I just boil a big pot of tap water and wait for it to cool

7. Your tap water is probably exactly what your plants need. Get rid of chlorine by leaving it out in the open for 24 hours. Chloramine is used in such small doses that it probably won't effect your plant and may not even be in your water anyways. If your on city water, you can easily get a read out of the water supply and what's in it. Most towns have it inline or call the city water department. As a former user of reverse osmosis water, yes you may need to add Cal/mag. RO water is too clean, lacking in many minerals that benifit your plants and are available in tap. Cal/mag being 2 of those. I always thought I needed fancy water, I was wrong. All RO water did was cost me more time and money. Additional time hauling the water from the store. Hundreds of trips filling my containers every week. Not to mention sometimes you run out, its late, you don't want to go anywhere. The taps right there but ohhh no that's not good enough...lol or so I thought. People at the store must of thought I was stock piling water. Additional money because I had to add Cal mag, plus buying water in the first place. Eventually wasted more money buying an RO filter. After a few years of that and being told how silly it was I reluctantly gave tap a shot, beings that it is just about what almost every grower uses with great results I thought why not.

I'll never go back to fancy water unless of some unforseen contamination or something. Tap water is great and convenient. Right there for easy use

• Like Like x 9
  8. Killset nailed it. I used to buy water, waste of time and money.

It's probably a mineral coloration, but you can make a diy water filter anyway. Keep a small reservoir of filtered water, well aerated with an aquarium pump.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Thank you for the elaborate answer I really appreciate it man:D but to be clear you are saying I don't need a filter or anything, just let it sit for 24 hours? I will adjust my ph with a ph testing kit I purchased if I have to

10. Dude this lady ruined my day one time because she bought like 15 gallons of distilled water I asked whatsup with those and she goes maybe if I'd drink some I wouldn't be so fat. Now I know why the bitch was so rude I made her nervous lol what a bitch

Sent from my SM-N920T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. Nothing comes close to rain water if you want best.

• Like Like x 2
  12. No man I highly doubt you need a filter. It's pretty funny. I watched growers my whole life just grab the garden hose and water their plants. It wasn't until I got serious about growing and started researching online that I heard you had to have fancy water to grow. I fell for it while watching others use tap. Thought somehow I was treating my plants better.....lol what a joke. No other form of gardening goes to the ridiculous extremes of cannabis growers. If tap was so bad wouldn't all Gardners use some kind of distilled water. Cannabis is a weed and not as delicate as its made out to be. Rain water is great too but sometimes hard to keep on hand.

I fill up 5 gallon jugs let them sit out over night and that's it. Sometimes I throw an air bubbler in it but it's not necessary. I can't believe all the time I spent getting water. So much wasted time for absolutely nothing gained but sterilized water that I needed to add back some of what was removed. Seems so pointless now

• Like Like x 2
  13. I could see using distilled water if you wanted to dial in your nutes perfectly. But tap water is pretty much free nutrients

14. I heard even tap water when comes in contact with soil/dirt the chlorine and other nasty's become instantly neutralized. I always pre-fill a bucket but i have watered with tap and i don't notice much difference.

The only difference i notice is when it rains all my plants skyrocket and seedlings thrive! Nature does it best.

15. Still not necessary man.

16. gonna be ugrowing indoors though I should mention. Gonna be pretty hard to haul rainwater up to my 4th floor appartment lol!

• Like Like x 1
  17. It's going to be just as hard if not harder buying bottled water.

Just use tap like most growers do....problem solved

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yeah man I'm gonna use tap and let it sit like you said

19. Run a soil high in organic material and you won't even have to let it set out.. Just dump it on right from the tap-hose.. My water is 8.5 and stinks of chlorine.. 5 years now and I grow better weed then anybody I know and all the dispensaries.. Not to toot my own horn it's just a fact.. Organic water only soil FTW..
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  20. Lol that's awesome man good to hear. I will be using fox farms ocean forest with perlite mixed in so far and I wasn't too sure what to use for nutes so I haven't ordered them yet. I would like to use organic bottles nutrients and heard fox farms has a couple nutes that are organic but only for the flower stage. I have heard their other products for vegging is not organic.