Best Vaporizer for lung disease patient.

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by cystik1, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Hello all! My name's Morgan (dude, not a chick). This is my first post here and I had a question. I don't have much experience with weed other than edible brownies/cupcakes/anything edible. I have a genetic disease called Cystic Fibrosis. It affects mainly all of your organs but it hits your lungs the hardest. I can't smoke cigarettes or be around smoke of any kind really (that includes weed). SO, I'm interested in starting to vaporize. I have quite a few friends with CF who do it and says it helps them clear their lungs and increases appetite (another thing with CF is all our nutrients are absorbed to fight off bacteria so we can't gain weight for anything) and helps with pain. So, I was wondering what some good options for a good, healthy vaporizer would be OTHER than the Volcano? Maybe under $200 if possible? I know the Volcano is the best, but what would be another alternative that takes out most of the "bad stuff" and maybe is half the price? Thanks guys/gals!

Morgan

2. For sure the 'Da Buddha' vape. In the works of picking up my own, but after doing the research they for sure sound like awesome pieces, and are praised by users around the Internet.

If you plan on vaping outside of hour home, look into the magic flight launch box. Affordable vape and also praised, but for your budget I think that's the best portable vspe. there is

3. Ah, thanks a lot! :)

I was looking into the MFLB. I live in a house with quite a few brothers and sisters who are young. No one here minds weed, they just don't want it inside around the kids so i'd have to take it outside. Would the MFLB be good for a first timer with no previous vaporizer experience?

4. The MFLB is alright, but probably wont provide you close to as an amazing experience as a desktop vape would.

You mention not being able to afford the volcano. That's very understandable, but the Da Buddha and Extreme Q are both in my opinion much better than the Volcano.

The Da Buddha, and it's big brother the Silver Surfer are both near your price range, and are the two best whip vapes available. I would personally take them over the volcano any day. The Da Buddha can be found for as low as 150, and the Silver Surfer for just over 200.

The Extreme Q is both a whip vape and a bag vape. It's probably not as good a bag vape as the volcano, and probably not as good a whip vape as the Da Buddha/Silver Surfer, but it's still excellent at both and can be found for around 175.

5. I gotcha. I've been reading the reviews on Da Buddha and they all praise it. That may be what I go for. This may be a dumb question, but does it come with instructions? Because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing other than the youtube videos I've watched and what the people have said here.

6. It should. The Extreme-Q did.

7. I don't have a deep understanding of what Cystic Fibrosis is, but the vapes listed above are heavy hitters. That means that they can produce hot vapor that expands your lungs and dry out your throat. The Extreme-Q comes with the balloon option which is a bag of thin cooled vapor.

Another solution is attaching a water pipe (bong) to your vape. The hot vapor goes through water and gets cooled down. Feels like you're just breathing in fog. All of those vapes can connect to water pipes depending on the joint size.

8. [quote name='"cystik1"']I gotcha. I've been reading the reviews on Da Buddha and they all praise it. That may be what I go for. This may be a dumb question, but does it come with instructions? Because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing other than the youtube videos I've watched and what the people have said here.[/quote]

Mine came with instructions, but it's not too hard to figure out.

Cannabis goes into the glass wand/bowl, hosing connects to wand, wand is held to vaporizer, and then you inhale through the hose.

Don't worry, if that's not clear now it will be upon operating it. There's more extensive guides around too.

As the poster above me said though - it is a hard hitter. Vaping may still make you cough. It's far far healthier for you, but the hot and dry vapor can still be irritating to the throat. How big a hit of course is very much up to you, as well as the temperature set.

I hit my SSV dry, as well as running it through a glass waterpipe. If you have a waterpipe, a nice clean and it should be good to go =], and if not, there's waterpipes you can buy from 7th floor along with your vape, - but I recommend you get an SSFG Travel Tube, as it's a great quality glass option for a budget.

9. Yes and no. It works but I really wouldn't recommend it to someone that can afford better. I'd suggest the Arizer Solo for a portable. The mflb is a really crude vaporizer that gives inconsistant hits. A better portable will give you more controlled and better hits. The desktop recomendations you have are pretty good with the SSV, EQ, and DBV. Those are all really good desktops that would do the job. You said you know several CF patients that vape. What are they using? I don't have one and never used one, but many medical users like the log vapes like the Rockzap and Heat Island. They have a really good reputation but as I said, I have no first hand knowledge of how good/bad they are.

General instructions for using a vape are pretty much the same. Grind up your herbs. Loosly fill the bowl and don't pack it to tight, Turn the vape on and heat it up. Insert the stem/bowl and start drawing on it or the whip attached to it. Hold it, exhale, relax. You may want to turn the temp up or down to get the vapor you like best. Thats all there is to it.

10. #10 Highnstein, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
    Just re-read what you said with the kids in the household and I'm going to suggest the Solo if you need to vape outside. If you're not too savvy with vapes, the Arizer Solo is an easy to use and well performer. I own one myself and bought an attachment to connect it to a water pipe. You need an outlet for the DBV, Extreme-Q, and SSV, so that would mean in doors.

It's smaller than a red bull can and holds about 10 sesions per charge. It's made from really high quality and feels like an Apple product. Like I said, it is one of the hard hitters so it does make you cough. Setting it at 2-3 is probably ideal.

Also, I've been looking at vaping pens lately. I believe it may be perfect for you. The pens are very similar to e-cigs, where you load concentrated oil into the cartridge and it warms up with a button.

The Omicron holds about 1 gram of hash oil (Very condensed form of thc) and allows 400-600 charges per gram. You charge it via usb or outlet and one charge is about 100 hits. 5 hits is well enough for a heavy toker from what I heard. It'll have an add on in the future for just bud too.

I'm thinking of buying one myself after seeing great reviews, however I'm going to do more research. Seems much cleaner and easier. (Whole reason I started vaping) The only hard part would be sliding the oil in the cartridge, but well worth it if a simple and fast solution is what you're looking for.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZCkbkdWtos[/ame]

Pretty simple and stealthy little thing. Sounds nice if you want to be medicated right before eating lunch. It's easy to tell how much dosage you are getting because it delivers the same each time.

Concentrates generally have more thc and less cbd. Thc is what gives you the "munchies" while cbd is more for pain relief and sleep, so the oil will allow you to eat easily. In my experience, it seems like edibles have more of a high cbd content and gets me really sleepy. CBD is also more reliable for memory impairment. It's worth studying THC/CBD ratio and sativa/indica/hybrid strains to know what's best for you.

If you are a patient in California, many of the things I said above are easily accessible through most dispensaries and some tell you the ratio percentage online. I hope for your best. :wave:

11. In my opinion the portability and relatively discreet nature of the MFLB would make it perfect for you. You could take that thing pretty much anywhere, and it's more discreet than da bhudda - the mflb stem could pass it off as a special pipe similar to an e-cigarette. Combined with the desktop power adaptor it would be perfect for both indoor and outdoor usage.

12. He's looking for a alternative to a Volcano not to a vapor genie. He's probably looking for something a little less crude since he NEEDS it and probably would appreciate some sort of consistancy. Since he's suffering from a lung disease, it would be a asking more than need be from the user to regulate the temp by how hard he sucks on the stem. It's so much easier and so much more consistant when you have a unit that regulates itself and only depends on you to set the standard it needs to heat the meds to .....consistantly....every time....the same. The difference between a mflb and a SSV, DBV, or EQ is the difference between a kitchen stove and a camp fire and he needs to make a souffle not roast some weenies.

13. [quote name='"hd2000"']

He's looking for a alternative to a Volcano not to a vapor genie. He's probably looking for something a little less crude since he NEEDS it and probably would appreciate some sort of consistancy. Since he's suffering from a lung disease, it would be a asking more than need be from the user to regulate the temp by how hard he sucks on the stem. It's so much easier and so much more consistant when you have a unit that regulates itself and only depends on you to set the standard it needs to heat the meds to .....consistantly....every time....the same. The difference between a mflb and a SSV, DBV, or EQ is the difference between a kitchen stove and a camp fire and he needs to make a souffle not roast some weenies.[/quote]

Lmao very well put.

14. da buddha is a great investment but like most vapes your still taking a risk...
    If your heat is too high*witch is a mistake we all make atleast once* your bud will burn and you will get smoke.... All I'm saying is be VERY careful. honestly I wouldn't ever turn the vape up past 11:00 on the dial. That SHOULD keep you from burning.. I wouldn't even warm it up at full blast.. Again I've burn some on the first pull because I didn't wait long enough for the vape to cool back off.

15. I say the extreme q for a desk top because of the digital temp control so you can have less risk of combustion. I have an mflb. Its def the most stealth option but not the best.

16. I agree with the poster above me.
    Tha arizer extreme Q.
    You should be able to get it for around your price range.
    I haven't tried a volcano but I can't imagine it would be much better than this.
    You can read up on your temperature ranges and set it specifically.
    Its a discreet unit - It actually looks like something out of a kitchen.
    It's very easy to use, and the quality of vapours is delicious.
    Another factor is that it fills up bags...now I'm not sure how the CF "feels" in the lungs,
    but I imagine that with your vapour, the less heat involved the better - So you can fill up a bag, plug it and let it sit for a bit before taking it.
    ...So yeah, while I pimp it all the time, I honestly feel like this model would be best for you too.

17. Checkout arizer solo, it's portable you can take it when you're out for a walk or whatever if they don't allow weed in the house.

18. Im sure i heard smoking was actually good for CF patients, due to clearing the mucus, but it would seem that vapor is also beneficial. I would definitely recommend Da Buddha. I cant see the volcano being that much better to justify its price, so Da Buddha is more bang for your buck. Others I recommend but havent had experience with are the Silver Surfer and Vapor Bros. Ive also heard Purple Days is good. I would think in your situation however, it would be ideal to have a vape with a temperature setting.

19. Vaping clears congestion, smoking usually helps it, no?

20. #20 lilro, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
    I have CF as well and I use the SSV. I love the whip style vape as I can control how hot/thick the hits are on draw technique alone. If I'm feeling congested, I can take small hits that have no visible vapor and still feel effects, just takes longer. And when I'm feeling good I can take bigger rips.

And to the guy that said smoking is good for clearing mucus, it is to an extent. When I smoke, at the beginning of the session I cough up a shitload of mucus, then the high starts kicking in and I can breathe really well. But then, when I come back down, I'm coughing again and bringing up more mucus than normal. So it seems that even though it clears mucus good, it produces more mucus as well.

Go with the DBV, OP.

And I'd advise against using concentrates very often. I thought they'd be better as well, but after using different types (BHO, bubble hash, QWISO, etc.) I've noticed it leaves my lungs feeling very sore. And the coughing is a bitch.