best treatment for anxiety?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by foolcoolguy, Jul 27, 2009.

1. i suffer from mild anxiety and I was wondering what the best chemical treatment is. I am on 1mg lorezapam a day for a month as a starter to see how I react to it. I am worried that that is not the best treatment long term. Any ideas?

2. Everyone is different, celexa has done wonders for me. DO NOT take ffexor though, no matter what your doctor says. I recommend giving celexa a try. It enhances mood generally too, asi t's an anti-depressant. I don't struggle with depression but it still gave me a mood lift.

Ativan, or lorazepam, is great for every once in a while when your anxiety gets bad but it's definitely not a good long term thing to be taking...

3. I'd ask to try seroquel at the 25mg dose (smallest they make). It can be a little sedating at first but you get used to it fast and I've noticed that it works better than my klonopin alone and that it helps balance me out (fewer mood fluctuations and an 'even' feeling).

Most anti-depressants (IME) don't help you get rid of anxiety, all of the many ones that I've been on only made me way worse and cause more problems than they fix. Seroquel on the other hand doesn't take 2 weeks to be effective, has a short half life (~6-8 hours) and doesn't fuck with your mood as much although you may feel a little hung over the next day.

If medications fail to fix the problem, then therapy (or a combo) may be better for you.

4. I dont believe that anyone should be on a long term medication soley for mild anxiety. Maybe used in combination with some type of therapy, but only for a short period. Anxiety is all in your head and with medititation is should be easy to over come without using any sort of medicine. I suffered from anxiety but quickly over came it with the help of a psychiatrist who taught me many methods to help relax my mind and body. So if your concerned about using a chemical medication maybe you should try exploring other options. It worked for me.

5. honestly theres no need for all these scripts... just buy yourself some dank herb and smoke till the sun burns out, you'll have no anxiety troubles

6. yea no fucking kidding

everyone these days has some form of fucking anxiety. its fucking called life, not every god damn situation is ideal

7. Definitely one of the many benzodiazepines (benzos).

I got my hands on 10 mgs of Lorazepam aka Activan and I have to say that it works wonders medicinally and recreationally. I suffer from anxiety (social) and Activan completely eliminates the part of my brain that always has me worrying about shit. Benzos also interact extremely well with weed and other psychedelics.

The high from benzos are also pretty fun. You're much more loose and giggly. I love it.

8. well my official diagnosis is mild depression caused by anxiety and i guess ill just go with whatever the doc says i really dont give a fuck

9. Your doctor probably isn't going to do shit to help you unless <b>you get interested and active in your treatment. I can tell you right now that if he is like 90% of doctors, he will just run you through a cycle of SSRI's, paxil, trazadone and other shit that probably won't do you any good and can be way worse than what your problem is.

I'm not saying to ignore your doctor's advice, but do your research on any medications he wants to give you and don't be afraid to say no to something he wants to give you.

10. Fuck antidepressant SSRIs and MAIOs and all that other bullshit. Just try to stick with you Xannie script. Then complain about dosage every now and then. Benzos are the best for eliminating anxiety, nothing else comes close.

11. Benzos are no substitute for a long term, non-addictive treatment.. Would you want to be on 5mg+ a day later on down the road and deal with the WDs when you decide to quit?

I still say try the seroquel 25's, they aren't debilitating like most anti-psychs and work a lot better than most anti-depressants around, plus they actually help with your anxiety.

12. I disagree with this.

I believe benzos are absolutely horrible in the long term.

You're in for a world of pain if you ever have to spend a day or two without them once you become dependent. Little fuckers are evil. :hide:

13. ^ Listen to Junkiedays, shes knows what shes talking about.

14. i took effexor for a couple months. FUCK THAT SHIT. withdrawls are to fucked up

15. #15 DaComeUpCat, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2009
    Yeah, I just started taking benzos, but if you can practice self control and put a limitation on the number of times that you take it a week, then I think you should be fine.

But with addiction and dependency aside, I think benzos are undoubtedly the best at what they are made to do, which is getting rid of anxiety.

16. I was recently presciribed 1mg of klonopin a day. obviously 1mg isnt really much, but even with not taing them for a few days then taking 3 or 4 at once it lost its novelty pretty fast lol. i havent taken any in a few days (a half works just fine at eliminating my anxiety). If you actually have the problem, benzo's do help. to be honest i probably take more xanax than i do my own klonopin prescription (and i dont share them with anyone..almost. lol) so getting addicted to klons, and the respective withdrawals if i was to quit, would be the least of my worries at the moment.

17. These kind of threads annoy me. The answer is always this: get a doctor you trust, ask him or her. There are smart members of GC, there are dumb members of GC, but not one of us (unless someone on here has been educated in pharmacology) is qualified to answer your question.

The people that are answering are for the most part using anecdotal evidence. That is NOT the way to go about figuring out what kind of medication you should be on. Medication affects different people differently, so trust the doctor that has access to your records and has been trained, not GC.

Good luck to you. Anxiety is no fun.

18. Yeah I can understand that. I have mild anxiety, but you have to have experienced it to understand it...

But yeah, fuck scripts. Bullshit. Honestly, you wanna relax? Look up Kava Kava, it stimulates the same part of the brain that benzos do, except it's no where near as addicting and doesn't require the same regimen. You can order it online and make tea, a nice cup of tea and you'll be feeling looser all day.

And like someone else said, meditation. Google different techniques. Anxiety's all in your head.

19. Meditation is good. Exercise too, definitely exercise. It's something everyone says but not many people take very seriously. It really does help a lot, though.

Also, if your anxiety causes you to have trouble sleeping, try something like melatonin. I started taking about half to 1mg a night recently, and its helped my sleep pattern tremendously. Which in turn helps my anxiety throughout the day.

20. research the meds your doc prescribes you, you have control over what you put into your body, as much as doctors act like you don't. im not sure what the drug you said is on, but if its an anti-depressant, make sure he switches you to something that's actually meant for anxiety, like xanax or klonopin. watch out tho, it can be addictive.