Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Best tincture for newbies?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by starsandtopsoil, Dec 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I've made edibles before but have never tried tinctures. Sickness has messed with my airway, so I'm not smoking or vaping right now.

What method is best for total newbies such as myself?

2. for thc or cbd? personally i'd just make gel caps, i'm not sure how effective tinctures are or the bioavailability of thc absorbed that way

3. #3 bkarnaze, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Sounds like you want a medicinal tincture.

KISS tincture
    (1) Decarb herb in oven @ 240 F for 40 min using a verifying thermometer
    (2) Grind to powder
    (3) Soak in 190 proof everclear (also called grain alcohol or ethanol) with frequent shaking for a few hours to a few weeks
    (4) Let settle in a tall, narrow container if possible (graduated cylinders work well), and pour the clear liquid thru a coffee filter to strain out the sludge. Additional quick washes of the settled-out sludge will get almost all the medicine.
    (5) Evaporate/boil off enough alcohol to achieve desired concentration in milligrams thc per milliliter

I often use 1 oz herb that finally fits into a 1 fl oz (30 mL) tincture bottle.
    For 15% thc herb, the total amount of thc is (0.15)*(28,000 mg) = 4200 mg
    And the concentration is (4200 mg)/(30 mL) = 140 mg/mL
    The number of drops in 1 mL is viscosity dependent, but for alcohol tincture around this concentration it's about 35 drops.
    In this case, the concentration can be restated as Density = (140 mg/mL)*(1 mL/35 drops) = 4 mg/drop.

This is pretty concentrated, but can be made less so by using more than one bottle, or less than 1 oz herb.

My experience is that there will be a small amount of tincture absorbed sublingually (10%?), and that the remaining swallowed part behaves like an edible.

You can also boil/evaporate off all the ethanol, and replace it with any oil to make an oil tincture.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Thank you! I appreciate it.

5. Decarb weed (240 F for 40 minutes )
    Freeze weed and 151-190 proof Everclear separately.
    [​IMG]
    Combine and shake 10 seconds.
    Strain.
    A potato ricer or garlic press works well for this. Don't get this on your skin in any large amount as it will transdermal stone the hell out of you.
    [​IMG]
    Long soaks, hours, days, weeks bring progressively more plant waxes and chlorophyll resulting in way more green taste as does room temperature washing ( some find the long soak medically therapeutic ) but personally I like the short frozen single wash as it's got all the kick with as little green as possible.
    No real wrong method just depends on what your after from the end results.
    BNW

6. Here's a proven method that's pretty easy to understand and it has a video. Backed up by lab tests. :)

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it