best time to water?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by deltascout, Jun 17, 2011.

1. why be a weird question but is there a best time to feed? like before lights out..or as some as they come on or does it matter?

2. #2 bosey, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    During veg I fed when the lights were off (18/6). Just how I did it...read it somewhere on the forum too.

3. plants do not use water during dark period so i guess sometime when the lights are on.

4. I should've pointed out that I fed w/ nutes when the lights were off.

5. The plants get fed a little at every watering, just by soaking up nutrients from the soil dissolved in the water. The best time for plants to get nutrients is right when day starts. If they soak up nutrients at the beginning of the dark period, there's a greater chance of burn because the plant isn't currently using as much food.

The most ideal time to water is a few hours before lights on, but it isn't a noticeable difference just watering when the lights come on.

6. #6 bosey, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Good to know. That's what I was referring to...I always watered about 2 hours before the lights came on. Just happened to be when I got home from work too lol

7. Water once the lights come on. Don't water at least 2 hours before lights go off because that can promote mildew.

8. So the optimal time to feed would be at the beginning of the light cycle? So much different info on here in general.

9. I would not feed during lights off unless you somehow have a room that lets 0% light into the grow when you get in there.
    I always water about 30 min after the lights come on so I can inspect my plants. I never water 2 hours before lights come off. You don't want extra humidity in the air in the night cycle.

10. Two hours is nowhere near enough time for mildew to form. The soil will still be wet when the dark period begins anyway, and then it wouldn't be fresh. There's no more chance of mildew watering in the dark or in the light.

11. And this is why I pointed out that it would be fine to just water when the lights come on. Knowing the best time can still be helpful because some growers have automatic watering systems that can water in the dark without issues.

12. Actually my soil drys out pretty quick. Have a lot of ventilation + dehumidifyer + 1,000w. The top of the soil usually is dry by the time lights go off. In my experience, the light helped keep mildew at bay along with changing my watering habits.

13. you should only water plants when they need it, not when you think its a good time to water. put your finger in the soil to the second knuckle and if its dry water, if its moist dont water

14. Green light bulbs work good during lights out if you have to get in there.

But I've always heard only water during lights on.

15. I usually water in the first hr or so when the lights come on, figured that's what everyone does... I do however spray leaves with Folier feed about 5-10 mins before lights go off. To avoid any burning or spots. Heard it was better to do it that way. In all honesty let your plants tell you when they need water.
    :smoke:

16. I've read it's best to water soon after lights come on. It's like a breakfast for them, beat meal of the day.

17. Yes, your plants need the water and food at the beginning of the day to sustain them in the hot sun (or light). Like someone said, watering at night makes you more likely to get root rot because they sit in the dark, in the wet. Here's a simple way to think of it. Is it healthier to eat breakfast or a midnight snack? Same for the plants.

18. I didn't see you said this before i wrote my comment. You're spot on.

19. 1) He means 2 hours before the lights go off, plus 12 hours of darkness.
    2) "The soil will still be wet when the dark period begins anyway" - that's the point of watering in the morning. To hydrate the plant during the day and not be sitting in wet all night.

20. Is this the same for outdoor plants? For example: Water at 4:00 am feed at 6:00am?