Best time to start outdoors

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by do it stowers, Sep 25, 2008.

1. When is the best time to get the largest vegetation time in florida..??

2. Well wouldn't it be better to start like 2 weeks before spring because the plant has an immature stage before it starts to veg hence starting early would give you two extra weeks of plant growth before flowering?? Or no??

these are just theories Im just curious before i start my next grow.

3. Florida has at least three different USDA growing zones so you really can't make a blanket statement on when the best time to plant outdoors is.

For the maximum vegetative growth start as soon as the danger of frost has passed. The plant will vegetate through June and then begin to make flowers as the days begin to get shorter after the summer's solstice. One problem I've experienced is that early plants tend to begin budding during the hot humid dog days of Aug. and Sept. when the conditions for bud formation are less than optimum. This results in fungus infection as well as loose buds due to the high temps and humidity. I prefer starting outside later (resulting in a shorter vegetative stage and somewhat smaller plants) but the plants mature and bud later in the fall when the temperature is better.

My best buds come from those plants I harvest late November and into January.

4. i just harvested... and had a mixture of loose little buds and nice dense buds... I hung all the dense buds in two cardboard boxes and trimmed all the leaves... and put all the little airy buds on 3 paper plates but i left all the leaves on them im just gonna wait till they are dry tomorrow to take the leaves off the buds.... as for the boxed buds theey will dry for 2-5 days or until they are ready to head to the mason's for curing... i wish i could get some pictures up i will try to.

5. My early harvests are not the best. The heat and high humidity that are FL summers keep the buds from getting fat and dense. also a high leaf to bud ratio. I try to time my main harvest for Nov. - Dec. when I get the biggest densest buds.

6. True true thanks for the info!! so when is the best time to start in order to harvest in mid-late fall???

7. #9 OldSkool1010, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
    May or early June sounds about right...the only thing then is the plants won't veg very long and grow to be monsters. Also Sativa dominate strains have longer flowering periods so those are better suited for southern climates.

You could plant your seeds early and take cuttings from your girls. Veg the cuttings indoors (if you're able) and then put them outside in July-August to begin flowering...that's the way I do it and I harvest 3-4 times a year.