Best stuff?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bamaland13, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Tryna get started in this growin shit... college student, cheap budget and shit.... what would be the best, cheapest stuff to buy to get started? Like from lowes and walmart?
    Thinking about getting a sylvania gro light bulb, some aluminum foil type stuff, organic soil... what else would you guys recommend? Help a brotha out, lol not trying to piss you guys off :confused:

2. Trying
    growing
    lowe's and Walmart?
    brother

1. no foil that can burn your plants (use Mylar [emergency blanket])
    2. lowe's soil the best I have used from them is sta-green garden soil (don't start the seeds in this use a seed starting soil)
    3. read these before buying any lighting or soil or anything for that matter.

3. Hi...

The best help I can offer is for you to read all of the stickies in this and other forums. Just like school... you'll get out of it what you put into it.

Good Luck!

4. #4 toastybiz, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011
    No such thing. You want the best or the cheapest? They are diametrically opposed.

I would recommend you scrap this plan -- no grow bulbs and no foil -- and do a lot of reading. All the info you need is already here at GC, your questions are pre-answered in the sticky threads and grow guides. The best growers are self-educated, you'll need to be as well.

EDIT: Mixted, emergency blankets are not mylar, and they aren't very light-reflective. Use real horticulture-grade mylar (on a roll) or else flat bright white paint or panda film.

5. not trying to argue because I personally don't use emergency blankets but they are advertised as they made of Mylar. I was merely suggesting that as a better option than foil. But I do agree with your opinion that his plan needs to be scrapped and he needs to read the stickies as I stated.

6. Well, mylar is a trade name, so unless it's made by DuPont and labeled Mylar® then it isn't mylar. In that sense there is a lot of stuff we talk about as "mylar" that isn't Mylar®. Still, we need to define what we are talking about.

Mylar, used generically, means any of a variety of polymer films that are electrostatically coated with aluminum. But not all materials that meet this definition are good at reflecting light, some are designed for reflecting heat, like those emergency blankets. If you hold one of those emergency blankets up to the light you can see right through it, and obviously light passing through is light not reflected.

Do they reflect some light? Yes. But they are not a good recommendation for growing, even as an alternative to foil because there are so many other simple and cheap choices that are cheaper. There is a reason those emergency blankets cost $2-$3 and a roll of horticulture-grade "mylar" with a mirror finish is $20-$25.

7. neat, like I said not trying to argue, think he and I learned something today. Still not going to use either.

8. The cheapest stuff at a grow store will be about the same price and better quality than anything you find at a home depot type store. Google hydro stores in your area and go check one out. The people there will help you find everything you need.