Best Soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by MADISM, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Hey
    Whats the best soil for starting seedling and then for flowering? Any one use the same soil all 3 months?
    Hows Mircle Grow?

2. MG is used by a lot of people from what ive read, and does pretty good as long as you also add nutes to keep ph up.

3. dude no way... if you NEVER feed a plant and it is in Miracle Grow Potting Soil, it will eventually nute burn it without adding nutes, it has time released fertilizer.. Stay away from Miracle Grow Soil. There are alot of good soils out there just do a little research, I personally use Promix BX, 75-85% sphagnum peat moss, vermiculite, perlite, dolomite, it is badass stuff, a bit pricey though at around $40 a bail.

4. Most people hate MG and would never use it under any circumstances, but it could be used for plants that are at least 3-4 weeks old as otherwise it will nute-burn the crap out of seedlings!:(
    I would'nt use it for flowering because its usually way too high in nitrogen....
    The general rule for starting seedlings is to use a soil that doesn't have added nutes
    as far as the "best" goes thats a matter of opinion and I can't really speculate because im on my first grow and used a mix of MG moisture control and MG organic garden soil from the beginning with pretty good results other than some mild over-fert problems and then shultz closer to flowering.

5. I have to agree with knoxis, ProMix BX is really good if you can find it. If you can't get some regular soil and mix in some perlite, vermiculite, and peat moss. Stay away from soil that contains time-released ferts (which happen to be about 80% of soil these days)

6. DUDE, get some of VIC'S SUPER SOIL. Thats what I used and it is super great. It was recommended to me by Rumpleforeskin ( by the way thanks Rumple ) and I love it. You have to buy everything seperate and mix it yourself but I tell you right now it is worth it. You dont have to do anything but water it and thats it. Use the revised recipe: the site is www.growfaq.net then on the left side of the site scroll down and click on soil and soilless, then its the 6th one from the top and will say vics super soil recipes and notes, click on that and there you are. Or you can just type VIC'S SUPER SOIL in a search engine and it will bring it up. :D

7. LOL talk about a recipe for disaster

anything organic with no added time release chemical ferts will work well.
    personally i use fox farm ocean forest soil and have pretty good success with it.

gl 2 u and stay away from the MG. Also adding nutes wont bring PH up.

peace

8. Yes so very true, MG should stand for Money Gone.... because 9 times outta 10 you will kill your plants or seriously harm them and they will never be what they could have been. So MG is a waste of money, time and most of all a wonderful crop.

Yes Fox Farm Ocean Forest is a great soil very effective and perfectly formulated for MJ growth this stuff truly works miracles.

However in some places Fox Farm soils are hard to find or just plain expensive so I suggest if you are unable to find FFOF try looking at your local Target or Wal mart Store for a soil called " Kellogg's Patio PLUS" in a bright yellow bag, It is very similar to Fox Farm but only 5 bucks a bag and it works very well especially for seedlings and small clones.

9. I have been using Fox Farm Ocean for years now-super results. Spend the money you will be glad you did!!

10. Fox Farm Ocean Forest

11. my 2 cents...

I start mine in little peat pots with only compost dirt then transfer to a bigger pot w. the mix described below...

MG soil, if you have it available is ok if u cut it with some other stuff... I used 1/3 MG, 1/3 spagnum peat moss and 1/3 fine compost and i didnt start adding ferts until maybe 4 wks into veg, and then only every other week. at first they got a little nitrogen starved but they perked up in a few days after the first fert application.

12. Promix seed starter is a nice gentle mix

13. Does anyone know good soils to use that you could find at walmart, target, ace hardware, lowes, home depot, ect.
    Kellogg soil isn't carried in the south from what Ive heard, I live in FL cant find it here...

14. Fox Farm Ocean Forest for me...

Budha, go to www.foxfarmfertilizer.com and click the 'where to buy' link, make sure its not somewhere relatively close to you...its worth a short trip

15. Fox Farm Ocean Forest is the shit but sometimes a little too hot for some strains I know someone that likes to add a 50% ratio of Fox Farm Light Warrior to their Ocean Forest to cut it a little and the Light Warrior also has some extra Perlite. That mix seems to have great results. Later on as you get rolling look into guanos for feeding expecially when flowering. Lose the MG and go organic if you can. Your plants and your body will thank you for it Good luck!

16. ..you add nutes to keep ph up??? :confused:

17. everyone swears by fox farm ocean farm or whatever, I went with a fox farm product and I have to say it has been very kind to my girls so far. Its called Happy Frog Potting Soil. Look at your local stores coops whatever farmers market they will have a fox farm product such as the potting soil, I cant remember what ph is good, but it never is under or over 7.

Again though first grow for me and im noooob.

18. I like Cocamix with 25% perlite

Comes in bricks, great aeration of the soil, aaand no calcium defiencies with coca

Uh yeah, thats what PH up/down is for.... Cant see much good come from trying to shift PH with nutes

19. Wow; I was wrong on the MG, but had seen such success from some that used it? Will advise them to change in the future though, and who knows, with the right soil, they may really do great?