Best Soil to Use

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mcdanglepants39, Oct 27, 2010.

1. So everywhere i look the number one soil seems to be Fox farm 0cean Forest..then i hear that its not good for the begining stages of the seedling so..what is the best soil i can use where i don have to change it at all

2. Sunshine #2 or #4 or ProMix HP, mix in perlite for best results ratio 5 soil to 1 perlite.

3. If you want to use FFOF you can mix(dilute)with 50% vermiculite. The vermiculite helps to retain water keeping the root zone moist and allows the roots to expand easily.
    At transplant use FFOF straight out of the bag with a little extra perlite added.

For an all around soil, is cheaper to blend your own...1/3 peat, coir and or, compost are the basic starter then add 1/3 perlite, 1/3 worm castings and some(per instructions)dolomite lime, limestone, or oyster shell to ph balance the soil and supply cal/mag. If using compost in your mix use 25% ratios for the base. A little espoma bio starter mixed in the mix will get you off to a good start.

This is a basic organic soil mix that that can be used with chemical ferts, or ammended with several dry ferts for an all organic grow.

4. Should someone use a specific soil for autoflower seeds?

Fox Farms Ocean forest

5. Colafarmer answered your question about soil. And his answer was perfect for your needs

get a large plastic tub from walmart for all your extra soil.

6. Reason I don't recommend most of the potting soils from HD, lowe's etc is that most of that soil is outsourced from the mfg and you just don't know how it was handled and stored.
    That soil may have fungus gnats etc and best to just blend your own and you know for sure. what ya got.
    I do recommend all FF brand soil, roots-organics, pro mix and sunshine which is the same as pro mix but under another name. These soils are quality and ph balanced better. Just a little expensive if you don't have a local sourse to purchase from.

Just like building a house...Start with a good foundation and everything goes better....;)