Best soil/nutrients available at Walmart and Target?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Rasta Buds, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Hello all, I am starting my first grow soon but I did not realize how expensive soil and nutrients are. Being pretty broke, this worried me, but fortunately today is Christmas and I got $50 to Walmart and $50 to Target from some relatives. Nice! I was wondering what the best soil and nutrients these two stores sell specifically, as they are really my only two options if I actually want to start this grow.

2. If I may be so bold to suggest? Go to these retailers web sites, surf their sites and find out which soils they sell. Then come back here and tell us what brands these are.

I don't think anyone here shops at either place for soils, although I could be wrong

3. Not a bold suggestion at all, I've looked on both but haven't really known what to look for, exactly. Found that Walmart sells perlite and peat moss, which I will probably end using for my soil. Which just leaves me with nutrients.

After some research I've found:
    Miracle Gro Organic Bone Meal- Miracle Gro Organic Choice Bone Meal- Walmart.com: Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Bone Meal, 3lb: Garden Center

Miracle Gro Water Soluble Tomato Feed (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that tomato food is also pretty good for growing herbs?)

Expert Gardner Bone Meal (rather than Miracle Gro?) Walmart.com: Expert Gardener Bone Meal, 4lbs: Garden Center

Miracle Gro Blood Meal Walmart.com: Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Blood Meal: Garden Center

I was also planning on getting some molasses Walmart.com: Obrer abbit Full Flavor Molasses, 12 fl oz: Condiments, Sauces & Spices

Thoughts?

4. I would use the gift certificate on bulbs and hardware supplies and get the dirt elsewhere, MG stuff isn't known for their honesty in labeling, it's not usually so good for plants. I'd use the card on hardware, supplies, lighting, duct tape, wire, twine, hooks, shelves, containers, glue, uv sunglasses, sharpie markers...that kind of grow stuff.

5. I don't know about wally world or target. Most big box stores carry decent spaghnum peat, and sometimes you can find perlite there that hasn't been adulterated with chemicals. Bone Meal and blood meal is slaughterhouse by-product- IDK if there's much difference in the brands. I'd stay away from the MG organic soil.

6. I'm pretty sure that the last time I was in walmart, I spotted the espoma brand. I think they carry whitney farms is well.

7. Yeah rasta, unfortunately there's not much those stores are good for.

The list skuny patrones gave is good, but even then, T-8 flourescent tubes are more expensive at these places, you might be able to find the high watt- CFL's (they're larger), but they have few if any useful garden products. The garden section includes an array of morally questionable products and poisons. If you buy perlite there Make sure it does not contain nutrient because these (as well as any miracle grow product) have bad, bad reviews around here. you may see EB stone or Whitney farms, these are on the right track...

the good news is most of the things you'd need to grow organic are next to free, they're animal waste (preferably organic, and worms poop), plant matter (grows wild), and soil samples from areas that grow vibrantly.

8. Thanks for the replies everyone, they're very appreciated. I am planning on doing a micro grow so I guess I'll just get all of my hardware there. I still need some small fans, Mylar, bulbs, pots, activated carbon, 12V adapters for the fans... so I would agree, I'll just get these things instead!

9. Don't skimp on your fans. Proper air flow is critically important.

10. I have 8 80mm computer fans, no skimping here.

11. From what I've seen in the walmarts around here, the best they've got is Miracle Grow's organic line (that's not really a recommendation, but I'm trying to work with you). I would get the MG Organic Choice potting soil along with the bone and blood meals and a bag of perlite. Just be sure to wash the perlite before adding it to your dirt. That leaves a lot to be desired, but if walmart is the only option....

12. Fortunately, I got some late gifts in the mail, including a $50 visa gift card, so fortunately I can use it a hydroponics shop instead. Got all of my lights and other hardware at walmart and target, though.

13. What exactly did you get?

14. Are the bulbs in a warm spectrum? Are they the 23 watt variety? As for the nute selection, you will find better advice for those products in the indoor section. These organic weirdos stick to compost tea, kelp meal, and fish hydrolysate for the most part. They tend to make their own soil from scratch to.

15. I think they're all 26 watt, four are daylight and four are soft light. I checked around and the nutrient bundle (Jungle Juice by AN) seems like a great deal for the price, so I'll probably stick with that due to a small amount of funding. Same thing with the soil, although my next grow I will be able to spend a little bit more on and will probably make my own soil mixture.

16. Cool beans. Best of luck.