Best soil/nutes

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by MikeC10305, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Hey guys I am getting ready to buy a higher grade soil to transplant my seedlings. I was thinking of getting FFOF and the trio pack of nutes. However, I have heard that only Big Bloom is 100 percent organic and I wanted to be 100 percent organic. WHat is my best bet for Nutes and soil for Max yield?? (GROWING VK) PLANNING ON TRANSPLANTING OUTDOORS AND TOPPING/LST

2. I mix my own, always have. The BEST and CHEAPEST.

3. What should I mix??

4. My mix for 2009:

3 shovels peat/forest product substrate - holds water and supports roots

1 shovel sand, 1 of volcanic rock chips, 1 of grit - provides drainage

1 shovel horse shit, 1 of wormcasts, 1 of garden compost - privides nutrition

2 tablespoons crushed eggshell - stabilises pH

5. Thanks alot for the mix. I'll keep you posted on how it goes..

6. Can I add nutes to this mix later on? I'm going to transplant then begin to feed a bit later on.

7. I don't mean to hijack or anything, but this topic's answer seems to have been covered, and my question is related.

Does someone have a soil mix specifically for FLOWERING? Some autoflowering plants (white dwarf) are just beginning to flower and I want these outdoors in a flowering specific soil mix filled straight into a dug up hole in the ground.

I'm thinking along the lines of ~50% peat moss, ~15% vermiculite, ~10% worm castings, ~20% bat guano (for P and possibly K), and some lime, but I'm unsure on the proportions.

Thanks a bunch if I get an answer.

8. #8 bubble_bobble, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
    You have two options, either make a mix that is low or devoid of nutrients and add nutrient teas or liquid fertilizers (such as the fox farms bottled nutes you mentioned) pretty much every other time you go to water your plants.

The other option is to make a mix rich in nutrients by adding things like compost, worm castings, bat guano, bone meal, blood meal (though blood meal is not recommended for outdoors, as it may be dug up by animals). If you do this option, you would need to use nutes in your waterings starting in perhaps 3-4 weeks. Eventually you will want to add nutrients (such as the teas or liquid nutes), especially when the plants are in flower.

I am growing in FFOF soil now, but I am mixing up bat guano, worm castings, peat moss, lime, polymer crystals, vermiculite for when I move plants outdoors. It's a lot cheaper to mix yourself as others have mentioned, and also you are in control. Of course mixing your own soil requires more knowledge than simplying buying a bag of soil, so it's up to you what you want to do. If you want organic liquid nutes, I believe Earth Juice and Bio Bizz are totally organic. As organic as something in a can could be, anyway.