Best route for me?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by papaown, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Hey everyone, new to the forums, but soon to be a frequent poster. I will be moving into my new apartment in a week, and I would like to grow a few plants, have a good batch for personal use for a long time. For future reference - pardon my ignorance on stuff I don't know, about all I've done is smoke weed, never grown, got to start somewhere I suppose :p

A little bit of background - That kit says that it is ready to go, but I have 2 walk in closets, possibly wanting to put a kit in each one, but 1800 bucks would be a pretty large investment. It has filtration in it, but I will be weather stripping the insides of the doors anyways to make sure.

I have heard that hydroponic systems will give a good yield, but I am extremely naive in the subject. There are full kits running around ebay and etc, but for 900 bucks (I have 2 walk in closets, so maybe 2 of them? So a massive 1800 dollar investment). I'm thinking about cutting my money losses and just getting it and relieve some headache? What are your views on that?

Link:

400 watt HYDROPONIC SYSTEM GROW LIGHT HPS MH 400w hydro - eBay (item 150302788347 end time Sep-05-09 12:50:00 PDT)

Not too for sure how many plants that would contain, or if that is too small of a space to get some good quality buds in the end.

Thanks everyone for your help, sorry for my ignorance. Hoping to become an experienced grower! Any tips are welcomed.

2. Haha, what an overpriced unit.

First off, you don't need a grow tent if you're doing it in the closet. Without one, you'll be able to utilize the full footprint of your light. Second.. You can get a 400W HPS ballast kit with a bulb and socket for $130:

400W HPS Ballast Kit S51 5-Tap - ProLighting.com

And likely an MH would be around the same price, or you could find a switchable ballast. As for an actual container to grow in, if you're looking to go hydro I would check out Rumple's thread and save yourself some headaches, I'll just leave this right here:

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/121335-lets-build-bubble-bucket-step-step.html

And there you go. You've spent $200, maybe, and all you need to figure out is some kind of ventilation for your light. I estimate this will cost no more than another $70 or so, and that's if you want a real inline fan. A carbon filter will be about another $70, and you're still well under the budget.

After that, you'll have to go to your local hydro store for nutrients / ph tester / ph up and down.. I would suggest really really reading all the stickied threads and lurking for a bit. Don't go and buy parts until you know exactly why you are buying each one.

If you need more help, I'd be glad to, but until you know more about what you are doing, I wouldn't bother.

Also, with your two closets, you could make one into a flowering room and one into a veg room :D and you could have a perpetual harvest with mothers and such. Do read the forums.

3. your first grow, make it simple, learn from it! set yourself up for success! forget about high tech, plenty of time for that, but not wise to start that way. i'm in my first grow right now [5 weeks into flowering] and i kept it low tech [good soil,small fan and lights] i asked a lot of questions, read lots of sticky's, and read other threads. doing it that way i have learned sooooo much. better prepared to get into that kinda stuff. there are some good reads here; "grandpa's grow guide for beginners" - "do's and don'ts for beginners". start there. trouble shooting; "so you wan't to grow mj ? answered here" that is a GREAT thread experienced growers, if you have a problem with your plant "POT GOD" has your solution! that is the best advice i can give you :smoke: good luck,hippie

4. you can put together something like that for a fraction of the price. If your just starting out, try soil with some CFLs to get the hang of things.

5. Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'll be going with a homemade hydroponic system.