Best Place To Live Off The Land????

Discussion in 'General' started by Stoogemeister, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Hey all,

When I move out in the following months, I am going to gather the necessary equipment, and live off the land somewhere in the US for a while. I am not going unprepared, I am reading extensively on wilderness survival techniques as well as identifying edible wild plants.
    For "just in case" I am getting a couple hundred dollars worth of ramen noodles, assorted whole grain rice, and beans which i will mix into one big bag that I can rely on if i cant find game/plants.

No, i dont have a hunting license, i dont have permits to be on so and so land, or campfire permits. I believe it is our god given right to roam this land as we please. For the government to simply claim it as theirs and regulate it is quite absurd in my opinion.

I need to know the best location to start my journey. I will be on the move for the most part.

What would be the best area that has abundant wildlife, plant life, water, and LITTLE TO NO PEOPLE.

Alaska, or Canada is beyond my reach at the moment. I need much experience before tramping into the northern territories and braving the winters. Though it is a goal of mine when I feel i am ready.

I am thinking somewhere on the west coast, but im really not sure, can any avid woodsmen help me out?

2. Do you honestly need 3 threads (At my count) on this same subject.

Go watch Survivor Man and you'll get an idea of what different locations are like.

3. i havent made 3 threads on the same subject. All i am asking is if anyone knows of good locations for what i want to do. I haven't made a thread on that before

4. This is your third thread about living in nature.

5. as i said before, i am asking a question i have not asked before. If you cant give me the information i am seeking then get the fuck out of this thread.

6. stfu hater

san juan islands

7. thank you very much

8. Hike the whole Appalachian Trail, it takes 3 to 5 months. It has been my dream since I was a kid to walk the whole trail and I plan on doing it in the next 1 or 2 years.

Appalachian Trail Pictures

If you dont want to do that much walking I would suggest the Appalachians in NC and TN especially around the blue ridge parkway.

9. are you the thread counting police??

10. What exactly do you mean by "live off the land"? Because when I think of that phrase, I think of someone setting up a homestead, which means growing and raising your own food.

The only way you will be able to live off the land for more then a few weeks is through sustainability, and being able to provide for yourself. Poaching animals and living off of edible forest plants and ramen noodles isn't the best way to go about that. Poaching carries high fines, and you won't get away with it for very long.

The land, plants, and animals aren't yours to take. If you truly want to be self-sufficient, and not just hiding out in the woods waiting get caught, then do it legally.

Buy a piece of property (preferably one with a stream), get a fishing and hunting license, learn how to farm and raise your own animals. Chickens and ducks for eggs and meat. Goats for milk and cheese. Start a vegetable garden, and grow your own veggies and beans. You can have berry bushes and fruit trees. If you are in the north, you will need to can your vegetables for the winter (and store root vegetables like squash). Make your own cheese and beer.

Look into Cob houses and construction. It's something that could be done for very little money if you have the time and motivation:

Cob (material) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. #11 Duha, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009
    Rocky mountains, but you sir are going in the wrong part of the season. Go in the summer months to the rocky mountains I did this for like a month it was great it was a few of us, we brought guns and some pots and other things and went out into the Rockies for a month and killed for our food, and other things we did bring a hefty amount of food with us too. I am no where near a mountain man but I was with a few so it wasn't that bad.

You need to be careful though cause it still can get cold though and in lighting storms you need to get down the mountain you are on or else:eek:.