Best performing HPS lamps

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by cardinal, Oct 7, 2009.

1. #1 cardinal, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2009
    Sorry, this seems an obvious one for the search function but I've had no joy there.
    I'm going to make my first new lighting purchase in quite some time.
    What is the highest performance 1000w HPS lamp I can buy nowadays?
    I don't care about the cost. I just want the best interms of PAR and lumens.
    OR........
    if I'm missing a sticky somewhere, please direct me. I can't find one.
    Thanks

P.S. left out that I wanted 1000 watt lamps in original post

2. IM fairly sure Cool master has the Highest PAR output

i was recently doing the same research....:D

3. #3 cardinal, Oct 7, 2009
    ALRIGHT. Googling that then. Thank you sir.

Wait, Google doesn't give any hits on that name. Is that the correct name for sure buddy?

4. I've used Eye Hortilux and Sunmaster Super Deluxe HPS with good results
    Ushio Opti Red gets good reviews and also Solarmax HPS

5. HA omg i feel like a jackass....i ment to say SUNMASTER...see i been doing so much research it all ran together inside my head LOL....sorry bro didn't mean to mislead ya :D

6. the owner of my local hydro shop is bananas for those sunmaster bulbs, I am putting together a 400w setup right now and will be using them. They are designed specifically for digital ballasts.

7. #7 cardinal, Oct 7, 2009
    Have any of you guys come across a digital ballast that has a boost switch or something like that? Gives more lumens but shortens bulb life?
    Or is this an urban legend/figment of my imagination?

8. Lumatek has a digital 600w with a dimmer. the highest setting is 110% or something like that. I would imagine it shortens bulb life but have no hands on experience with it. Not sure if they put the dimmer in their other ballasts or not.

9. iv'e herd of something like that...but its for Fluorescent lights...and its called ( overdriving ) its where you rewire the ballast to push more light into the bulbs....and yes it definitely shortens the life of the bulb.....but for H.I.D lamps im pretty sure theres nop such thing

10. The bulbs I am sticking with for some years now are Philips greenpower 600W bulbs.
    147 Lumen per watt with spectrum lasting very well over time.

11. I have that, the switch label is Superlumen
    it doesn't shorten bulb life, I check with a luxmeter (although taking correct reading with those is practically impossible outside a lab and no info about spectrum)

it does make more lumen depending on the bulb you attach it to, on some bulb it causes flickering and I believe it shortens those bulb life, with my Philips agro 600W it makes approx 8-12% more lumen depending on the luxmeter will, oddly the bulb I am currently using flickers if the switch is OFF