Best party cities in Canada?

Discussion in 'General' started by got towel, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Lets try this again, don't think I pressed the right buttons at all last time since nothing came up :smoke:

Originally I was planning to go to Toronto for 1-3 weeks for nightlife/sightseeing (mostly nightlife) and then take a bus to either Alberta or British Columbia to look for jobs

But since it's so far from Toronto to any of those provinces I'm wondering if I maybe should skip Toronto and if there is a better city with good nightlife closer to Alberta,BC? I would prefer a city where the pubs/clubs/bars are more stacked together rather than having them spread out all over.

Also, on a bit of a sidenote. Any canadians here that can tell me about apartment rents in Alberta or British Columbia? What can I expect to pay for a very simple 1-room apartment in any of those provinces? How cheap is it possible to find? :)

2. If you check out sites like kijiji and craigslist and search the potential areas that you would like to possibly live, it will give you a good idea as to how much rent costs.

But to my understanding, Alberta is going to be a little more costly than some of the places in BC. There are cheap areas in bother places, you just have to look in the right areas.

As for partying well, I'm sure everyone will have a different say that :p.
    But I have been to Edmonton a handful of times and there's a lot of great bars there. I grew up in BC so I'm more familiar with the Kootenays and the Okanagan. Bars aren't too great the exact town I live in, but if I were to take a drive down the road the bars are much much better laid out.

Sorry if this didn't really help that much, but I just had my coffee haha.

3. Actually I have never bothered getting to know what "craigslist" is, i've heard and seen it mentioned a boatload of times in tv series and what not.. Looked it up just a few months ago and it was huuuuuuge, bit of a clusterfuck to me. But i'll definitely give it another shot :)

Yes, I would guess Alberta's a bit more costy to live in since the province is "really rich" with the oil and everything.. But on the other hand, plenty of jobs and higher salarys so it could probably make up for it.

Unfortunately a flight to Edmonton costs quite a bit compared to a flight directly to Toronto or Vancouver. And I must say Vancouver got my interest when I found out it's like the capital of weed in Canada.. Don't know anything about the nightlife there? Would be a good way to start of the trip, doing som party 1-3 weeks and buy a shitload of weed and then continue on to alberta for job finding :D
    What kind of bars are common i Canada? Im looking for clubs with a lot of dancing and lots of drinking going on

cheers

4. Well any club you go to is going to be about lots of dancing and drinking.

I haven't spent time enough time in Vancouver, mainly because I have only been there when I was really young. But I have only heard of the crazy nights that happen there, so some of it must be true ;)

Around my neck of the woods there isn't that many big name bars (there is The Element Night Club), but in a near by town there's a handful of bars really well located due to there being 3-4 colleges in the same town. The towns are sorta spread out around where I am but it's not hard to get to the party.

Normally when I fly to Edmonton I end up flying to Calgary first, then getting a ride to Edmonton. But that still might not change with the available flight costs.
    I guess it all depends on what your work is when it comes to wages in Alberta. If you are in a trade/construction you are going to make some decent coin, but if you are working say minimum wage I would imagine it still be someone difficult to live (as it would be anywhere).

Perhaps someone who lives in the city will stumble across this, they might be of better help haha.

5. edmontonnnnn

6. You bring up a good point in the wages. I've really got no education other than high school so I was just going to get a minimum wage job, some general labourer or.. yea anything. Had my eyes set on oil field work at first but to do that I need a bunch of certifications and to get the job some good contacts, which I don't. So figured I get minimum wage jobs at first to get some experience and hopefully connections. And also go to some courses to get like, First Aid certification

But, fuck.. you think it's almost retarded to believe that I could live somewhere with a salary of 10-12 bucks an hour / 40 hours a week? I guess nothing's impossible though

cool, any reasons? :smoke:

7. Dude MONTREAL. even people from new york come up here to party... the best place is st. catherine's st. and if you need weed YOU WILL BE OFFERED a gram is 10 bucks or 15 if the shit is fire... a quarter goes for 40-45.

8. Oh yeah I've heard about Montreal, believe me! But it's so expansive to fly there because like calgary or edmonton I will have to switch planes somewhere in Canada = more than twice the cost of a flight to Toronto or Vancouver. Maybe I could fly to Toronto and like.. take a bus to Montreal I guess if the party is that good.
    I like my chances of scoring weed in vancouver though, would be nice to be able to buy like 2 ounces of weed.. What would my chances be o finding a source in montreal?
    Because in vancouver it seems like you could just walk the streets and people will offer to sell or even find certain stores where biker dude's come up to u and let u pick from a big variety

9. Montreal's a good party city.

But it's a really shitty city to live in, especially if you don't live in-town. Fucking christ I hate Montreal so much. There's so much wrong with the city I won't even bother listing them out.

But yes, for partying, Montreal is probably the best in Canada for being the skankiest place to get down and indulge in the night life. Drugs in general are good quality, readily available and cheap. Also, every second building is a gang-operated strip club.

10. I don't care about the city in general, as long as it's good partying - which it seems to be.

Dont like the sound of gang-operated strip clubs though, don't want two gorillas holding me down while another gorilla is running over my legs with a car for the 8th time. Don't plan on visiting any strip clubs though but if there's mob activity there, theres gotta be in other places too :cool:

Did a little "research" on Montreal and found this

Don't seem to nice if I wanna buy a lot of weed, I guess everythings about making contacts but it doesnt seem as easy as I would like (yes im lazy, very lazy :D)

11. Can't say much on the party aspect, as I don't, but rent in Vancouver obviously is on the high to very high end. Moving out on your own for the first time, and you are probably going to be spending a minimum of 700$ + Utilities. This probably is a basement suite or bachelor suite in a older apartment.

12. Do you have a canadian citizenship or visa? Otherwise you just can't waltz in and get a job.

13. I was planning on waltzing into Canada and punching one of these square in the face
    [​IMG]

Serisously though, yeah i've got a work permit valid for 1 year.

Good to now that about Vancouver, then I can forget about trying to settle there. But i'm really just looking to live very simple. A bed, a stove and a fridge. Other than that it can look like whatever.

14. Montreal, Ottawa is awesome too because it's a 10 minute drive to Hull and Gatineau from downtown.. Tons of nightlife around there :)

Plus Ottawa always has tons of job openings since it's Canada's capital city!

15. Cool. You guys have completely sold me on Montreal now. I haven't even thought of Ottawa as an option, I didn't even know it was the capital city of Canada to be frank :eek: But Montreal and Ottawa seem to be pretty close to each other so that's definitely an oppurtunity.

Anyone here now more about the possibilities of a stranger finding weed in Montreal? Have checked out webehigh and stuff like that, searched this board but it seems a little rough to get to it. Seems like I would be better of looking for it in the smaller cities nearby Montreal

16. From what I know everyone in Montreal smokes weed on the streets like it's legal LOL. You can't walk downtown without picking up the scent of weed nearby. If you walk downtown or go to free shows, just ask some of the people in the local bands that play. Hipsters everywhere, you're bound to find a dealer just by asking around :p

17. I found weed in Montreal using craigslist, and just asking people on the street(st. Catharines is amazing). Bud is good in Edmonton, just go to the west Edmonton mall and hang out outside of the smoke shop and ask people as they're leaving, sometimes people will ask you when just walking around. Bud in Vancouver is easy to find, again, just ask on the street or at a mall.

Out of these 3 cities, I've found Montreal has had a better nightlife. There's always people touring through there as well, so always seeing fresh faces. Montreal has some of the best after hours clubs I've been to throughout Canada.

You may want to look into finally moving to Banff, Alberta. Constantly hiring people, my brothers buddy works at a resort out there, only pays $300 a month for his room and food, and makes $16 an hour.

18. That's what I wanted to hear, thanks. :hello:

How exactly would one go about finding weed through craigslist? Just enter craigslist->canda->montreal and search for weed, pot, dank etc or do you have a super secret cool way you want to share? :rolleyes:

And. My GOD Bannff is looking beutiful. Thanks for the tip man, will most def look into bannff.

19. [quote name='"got towel"']

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks. :hello:

How exactly would one go about finding weed through craigslist? Just enter craigslist->canda->montreal and search for weed, pot, dank etc or do you have a super secret cool way you want to share? :rolleyes:

And. My GOD Bannff is looking beutiful. Thanks for the tip man, will most def look into bannff.[/quote]

It's been a bit since I've used it man, I don't remember exactly what I did. I'm on my phone, when I get on a computer I'll post a step by step tutorial, or just post a link.

20. Well, I just rented out a 1 Kitchen, 1 (small) Bedroom, and one Bathroom basement suite in Vancouver. Comes with in suite private laundry and dryer, separated from the rest of the house, and I'm paying 750 a month, 33% utilities, and my own internet/cable. That's rather low end, and was fairly difficult to find in a good neighborhood, 5 minutes away from the Skytrain.

If you are just looking for somewhere to move so you can make some easy money and not spend 35-50% of your income on rent, then I wouldn't be able to suggest Vancouver.