Best nutrient line?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Dankmass, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Hey guys,

Thinking of switching nutrients after this grow.
    I currently have the Fox Farm dirty dozen, which has everything (or nearly everything) that the plants need from veg-flower.
    Don’t get me wrong this nutrient line worked wonders last grow, but I’m hearing a lot about Advanced Nutrients and how much better they are...?
    What nutrient line would you recommend? And if Advanced Nutrients - which ones would i need to buy to get me through veg and flower? Just to get an idea on costs...

Second grow - 3x NYC Diesel in 5x5 - SCROG with 4xQB-288

2. I don’t know much about nutes but just heard about mega crop by Greenleaf Nutrients. They have a promo going where you can try a 90g or 230g sample bag. It’s supposed to be cannabis specific one part Nute. There are some grows with it on riu.
    With nutes you’re going to get so many opinions. I have heard mixed things about advanced nutes but I’m sure it’s like that with all of them.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Try Complete Hydroponics, I've been using them since I switched from Advenced and its been awesome.
    They only have a few products and they're easy to use. >> Complete Hydroponics

• Like Like x 3
  4. I use JR Peters products. "Jack's"
    They were around helping gardeners and farmers long before AN hired their first label cartoonist. My last grow cost me about $1.30 in nutrients to get 6 plants to produce 20 zips.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Just saw their "Starter kit kit being sold for $192. WTF. I recently spent $80 on 50lbs of Jack's Peat lite/Jack's aquagold finisher. Between the 2, I use .75 lbs a grow to get those 20 zips. Thus, that purchase will keep me going for 66.6 grows and 83lbs. How many years would that Starter kit get me?
    The Stretch
    You see things are cheaper when the company spends less on marketing and don't hire cartoonists.

• Like Like x 1
  6. That’s awesome! You’ve found something that works for you. 1.25 is a good yield. I have been getting almost a whole pound more. Now the cost you put in on nutes vs the cost of the nutes I use is less and that’s good.
    GH has all the same bottles as EH and the cost is less. I work in the industry and fortunately did not have to pay for my first couple rounds of Emerald Harvest. (I am NOT sponsored by them)
    I’m just trying to help out someone who asked for help.

• Like Like x 1
  7. This is the first time I’ve heard of emerald. After doing some research it looks like at least a $200-300 investment if you get all of the recommended bottles and that’s the smallest sizes. It may be completely worth it, but i will do some more reading. Thanks for all of the advice everyone

Second grow - 3x NYC Diesel in 5x5 - SCROG with 4xQB-288

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. #10 Tbone Shuffle, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Best is a very relative term. I would say that if you take the time to build your skill and get to know each nutrient line and their various supplements you can get a comparable harvest from any of the major brands.

Outside of growing capability price is a giant factor.

Jack's that Bravedave recommended is industry known in the hydroponic world to be one of the cheapest and most simple straight forward hydro feeds that works. They don't have the 10-20 supplements that other lines have. It's more of straight NPK and major/micro nutrients type stuff, but you can't barely beat their prices for NPK.

Out of the major brands that you see on your typical shelf I would say that Advanced is the most expensive way to go. That's not to say that they don't grow excellent bud but AN is twice the price of most other lines by the time you're done with a crop depending on how many supplements you use. AN can be many times the price of other lines if you use all of their supplements.

The two that I would personally be looking at are General Hydroponics and Botanicare. Both are comparable in price and in the types of supplements they sell. They are very similar. I would say that especially if you buy bulk GH is the cheapest hydro line that you typically see on your local grow store shelf. They are also sold at home depot, lowes, and walmart since being purchased by Monstanto/miracle grow/scotts.

The easiest way to fill NPK with hydro nutrients off the shelf of the hydro store is GH flora micro and GH flora bloom using the lucas method. It's about $28 for a gallon of each. That's $56 for enough nutrients to raise 4 plants for near 2 years, possibly longer. That's what I use. I feed lite and they last an extremely long time.

You can also grow with nothing but GH maxibloom dry from start to finish but I feel like I have more control with the two bottle micro/bloom method because I can be in full control of my NPK ratio, amounts of nitro compared with p&k

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Nutrients are just that, nutrients.

Most bottles use cheap bases and rebrand it into something fancy schamancy.

If you understand cannabis nutrition, you can feed you grow with just things organics / teas , raw salts, and microbes. Cannabis with the essentials and a few reputible additives will make perfect plants nutritonally. Make sure you got these thinfs covered and youre good.

I think next grow i will try this actually. Right now i got about 75$ worth of free nutes and i get everything at the hydro store 35-40% off so cost isnt bad. With all the free nutes i could just use those akd some leftovers next time if I wanted too. Theres also a connection i have where i can get fish emulsions for 80$ that can literallt cover a 1000+ plant grow. Beyond the fancy schmancy branding it all comes down to the science.

For example if you want to boost your terps, add epsom salts. The extra sulfur in the salt will help production if you arent feeding enough already. Organics also seem to help terps and give a "fuller" flavor, not sure what exactly though.

• Like Like x 2
  10. 1-2-2 is the lucas method rule for veg and bloom. Get as close to that as you can and you'll be fine. AN is as high as a 1-2-3 ratio. Cannabis is a special plant as many of us know, its a very rapid growing annual. It's nutrient needs don't match many of your standard crops that are on bottle recommendations.

The few nutrient lines that are really designed for cannabis like AN have a 1-2-2 or 1-2-3 NPK ratio even in veg because cannabis is a p&k hog in all stages unlike many other plants. If you use standard NPK schedules for all plants you'll get phosphorus deficiency late in veg.

• Like Like x 2
  11. With GH flora micro at 5-0-1 and bloom at 0-5-4 you can completely control the ratio. With double the amount of bloom compared to micro you keep the proper ratio. If the plants need more nitro or p&k you can vary it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. While I had to live and learn, I think the first step for any new grower deciding on their nutrient choices is to get their water source tested (unless using RO or, God forbid, distilled). While the ppms of most elements in most water sources are inconsequential, levels of Ca, Mg, and S in your water can be influential. This and knowing your starting PH is important to your success. Trail and error had me discovering that my water has all the Ca it needs and that my continued adding of CaMg after switching off of RO water was hurting me.

My first couple grows I used a (Fertilome) 20-20-20 during veg and had great success. After reading "Teaming with Microbes" and later actually communicating with the author, I learned that Phosphorus PPMs >80 was detrimental to the functioning of the mycorrhizae I was adding. This was when I found and switched to Jack's Citrus 20-10-20 product as by feeding it at a rate of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon I stayed at a ppm compliant with Lowenfel's testing. My root development was ok before this but since, when I break up my poly bags post-grow and it is like a peat carpet padding thick with roots. Needless to say this also was revelatory to my yields at the time. So that said, I do not comply or agree with high P during veg if you are utilizing mycorrhizae in soil, peat, or coco. Once I flip (or a couple weeks after as the case may be) I also kick up the P and the K by switching to my bloom product 7-15-30 (Jack's Aquagold Finisher). That said I have done a couple grows using nothing but the Jack's Citrus and they have done fine.
    I am with @dabs710 concerning the sulphur. The Finisher has it at a rate higher than the N level (9%).

• Like Like x 2
  13. I run blue planet nutrients farmers pride organic line. It’s not 100% organic, but all organically derived. It’s a little pricey to start (190.00 usd I believe) but it’s mostly gallon bottles and it’s very high quality. And the startup kit has everything but a calmag supplement. And nice and easy. 50% suggested dose does great for cannabis. I’ve been running it for almost 8 months now and still about 2/3 of every bottle left so it goes a long way.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I've never had a problem with high P. Some Lucas formula users veg with an even higher level then I do. If you use GH maxibloom it's 5-15-14.

I feed very light though so maybe that's why it's not killing my root flora? It could also be a particular nutrient line having issues with high P. Was it GH that you were using?

I have actually tried vegging with 7-4-10 FN grow and other lower P nutrient lines and I always had P deficiency late in veg. That's what brought me to using lucas to begin with. My plants have never been healthier.

I use nothing but pure rainwater. I'm not sure if that's a factor.

15. #17 Bravedave, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    This is not mfr. specific but verified science. You are not above it. It just says that if you are expecting enhanced nutrient uptake by adding mycorrhizae or buying a product (like Promix HP) with mycorrhizae already added...you will not get it if your P, ppm is much above 80. Period. It does not say you will not have roots that work ...just that they will not be given/utiliizing this advantage.

16. i would stick with the Fox Farms. i was in the same boat as you, using the FF trio and wanted to try something different. i did not get any better results with advanced and Botanicare. So i just went back to the FF with calmag+ same results and cheaper/easier.

17. Another vote for Canna..

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1