Best N Cali County To Live In

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by brotherrob, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Yea stay away from cheap living neighborhoods. Meth heads and thieves. People mowing lawns at 2am with key chain flashlights

Ill be back in an hour or so
    I'm going to where the pretty flowers grow

2. #22 shestones, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013

Merced is cheap. Idk about the job outlook there though... you'd have to look that up

3. I love Inyo county, though that's not exactly a cheap place to live :laughing:

4.  I agree the southern parts of the state seem to have better employment opportunities. I do not care for over population. I like rural living. I know this is a trade off, but I would sacrifice a better job for being left alone on a nice quiet piece of land where I can sit out on my porch and puff a little on my day off. I am pretty much settled on N Cal. I am still on probation in Arkansas and I will feed the legal system some more to see if a lawyer can get my probation terminated early. I can sell my home here for around 120K which should give me a good head start on a nice secluded spot in a state where they wont nail you to the cross for enjoying your smoke...Thanks peeps.

5. again, this is going to sound funny coming from a guy in cleveland.......a place that is supposedly as impoverished as detroit

i have had a handful of friends move to san diego and back because they couldnt find jobs & they couldnt afford living down there. like, they couldnt even get a job at the fast food restaurants because nobody was hiring. i mean, they grew and got by, but ended up moving back because of more opportunities in cleveland.

so, to repeat myself, ive never lived in cali, only visited....and i only speak for the accounts of my friends. but, observing from other's experiences, i have found that the grass isnt always greener :smoking:

6. SD has a population of 1.3 million. That's a lot of people to compete with for jobs.

7. I look at the N Cal job market every day. I am confident that if I were in the area I would find adequate employment. Yes the competition may be tight, but from the counties I have researched so far the cost of living is not much higher than here in bumfuck Arkansas. The biggest expense seems to be a rather high property tax.

8. What counties/towns have you looked at? If you don't mind me asking.

9. #29 Sgtstadanko707, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
    And this is why I said stay away from SoCal. There cities have more people than most of the counties up here.
    I hate so cal. When your are driving home from the bar at 2am and you are sitting in dead stop traffic because there are just that many people. Fuck that. And yes the grass is way greener on the other side.

10. I have researched Butte county in depth because of what someone on here told me. If I was to find a decent job in Butte ...especially the Berry Creek area I would be very happy. Although I am familiar with the other  3 main cities. Chico is too hot. Orroville is workable. Paradise looks good too for someone my age. The county ordinance recently passed allows a property owner with a MMJ card to grow all the meds one would need to stay happy. I have been looking at Yuma, Shasta, Humboldt also but have not had as much time to really research them. I like the sounds of Shasta...seems like a beautiful area with better quality jobs. As I said earlier, The job will most likely choose the area for me.

11. Yeah fuck that. That many people is definately not my thing. I mean I like people lol but not cbeing crowded. 1M+ is wayy to many.
    Yeah I've looked into Butte County as well and it definitely looks nice. You could live a little farther away from the main population but still drive to a city like Chico easily if you had a job there. You could try looking into the Roseville area too in Placer County. I was looking at it and it doesn't look to bad.

12. #32 rain dancer, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    If you go above frisco, be prepared to be one of two things: either you're a self made contractor paying the bills from job to job, or you're a prison guard. My parents worked saw mills before they closed, but the lack of jobs drove everyone from the highscools elsewhere to find opportunity outside minimum wage.

The reason I said central California, ie, farming communities, rural land, cheap housing and plenty of job opportunities in the medical field is because I've lived further south in orange county where you're underqualified without a masters degree and further north by Merced, Oakland, Fresno, frisco, and all the way up to susanville (snow, mountans, prisons).

I recommend this area with a few warnings. Meth is everywhere in most western states, probably moreso than other states. The illegal immigrants are everywhere too, but they don't make trouble. However their kids- first generation Americans born here are the causes of the gang problems.

For 90k I bought a paradise, half acre, nice house, schools down the street. I had problems at first because I didn't know the area, but after putting up some fences, getting some dogs, it's been great. Wife works down the street, kids go to school down the street. It gets a little hot here, but there's no place more rural than here in California and 2/3rds of the worlds food comes from this area. There's also a couple nice places outside Sacramento like valley springs whch is a paradise.

Where I live, last year, there were fields of marijuana growng all around me. All of my neighbors grew it, some with plants 15-20 feet tall, taller than houses. One neighbor had 80 plants and a couple got rich in a year selling what they grew. It's an hour to big cities like Fresno, 40 mins to Bakersfield, 15 mins to Visalia. But the rest of the time you're in seclusion.

Most people from my family couldn't survive here because they have drug problems and there's drugs here. My wife and I have thrived here because our routine is the same and it's led to success. If you have any questions on any certain areas you're considering I've traveled extensively since my childhood in this state and lived in so many places I could give you a fair assessment of most places. Let me know how I can help.

13. And where exactly in Central California? Like general areas.

14. #34 rain dancer, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    [​IMG]

15. You would love paradise. And there are 3 big hospitals within 20 min. Property is not hard to find the town is full of old people that are dying off

16. I would say 6 7 8 and part of 9

17. Op your from ark yeah. Isn't it hot down there. It's hot every where in ca but its not muggy. Dry heat. It's do able. I can't Handel the humity.
    I really think your would like paradise or the next town up maglia. It's at some elevation so it's not as hot. I work up there and dig it.

18. Thanks NorCal. Yes, Arkansas is a furnace in the summer, not bad at all in the winter. The fishing here is excellent. Although I am not a hunter, hunting is excellent and popular. The main problem here is the laws made by ignoramus self righteous lawmakers drunk on their bibles. As I said earlier, I have 1 MAJOR strike against me now and I wont put myself in a situation to let these bastards get me twice...hence the move. I can stand the heat but my Mom is coming with me and she doesnt care for it too much. Paradise was our first choice considering the relative age of the residents is around 50ish. Berry Creek was my favorite because for some reason there seems to be more acreage available, and I like some elbo room. No residential living for me...I like space, and privacy. When I fire up my Les Paul I don't want neighbors calling the cops because I am too loud. :)  You have been very helpful, and I appreciate it.

19. Why do you guys say Central more so than Northern? More jobs? The way I see it it's best to get your foot in the door and get a job anywhere you can get it and once your settled start moving to places that might not have as many opportunities once you're actually settled in that state. 

20. I will focus on N Cal. That said if the right job came up in central I would probobly take it. I have enough $$$ to get moved, set up with a nice spot and a few extra for a rainy day fund. Other than that I will need a steady income. Both of us can't live on my Mom's social security.