Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Best Method for Making Cannabutter?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by token-Slex, Jan 9, 2016.

1. So I'm planning on making some weed Rice Krispie treats, that being said I need to make some cannabutter. The main problem in that is that I live in apartments sponsored by my University, so we have a resident who is (for all intents and purposes) basically an RA. My roommate and I have made firecrackers no problem, but I'm worried this time. I absolutely have to keep the smell to a minimum when making the butter. I plan on doing the oven and vanilla thing that realtors use to make a house smell good, but I want to be extra safe. I've done some research and came across a couple methods for making smell free butter:

-mason jar of bud and butter in a crockpot of water
    -mason jar of bud and butter in a pot of water on the stove
    -mason jar of bud and butter in the oven
    -doubled oven bag of bud and butter in a pot of boiling water
    (I plan on making about 1/2c of butter, so a pretty small batch)

I was wondering which of these methods is the most effective, and safe since I've heard risk of the mason jar methods exploding. Have you used one of them before? How'd it go? Also, how important is decarbing the weed prior to making the butter? I made brownies once a couple months ago (not at the apartment) just by lightly simmering weed as is and oil for about an hour and they worked out fine. Should I decarb before making the butter?
    Thank you!!

2. #2 Father Ted, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2016
    That's a whole lot of pressure building up in that mason jar.....will it take it?

Get a camping stove and do it in the middle of nowhere....

3. You could get a toaster oven and do it in your room. When i use my oven i rarely notice anything really strong smelling and if done right it wont smell at all...also i live in an apartment so i defiantly have to be careful.

4. #4 firerat, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016

I don't think you would need to keep the lid on the jar.

That being said, don't people regularly can things in pressure cookers with mason jars?

I used to grow fungus and pressure cooking jars was a regular thing.

As to the OP, I really have nothing helpful to add.